Price Question for New Royal Caribbean Cruiser

I have cruised Disney and Carnival but never Royal Caribbean. Family really wants to cruise RCI and I am pricing Freedom of the Seas for Feb. 2011. It seems kind of expensive and I am wondering if I need to go ahead and book it or wait an see if the price goes down. Anyone have any experience with pricing that can help me?

many schools have off for Presidents week in Feb (or spring break)

I would book now....certain ships at certain times of year tend to sell out...plus you'll have a better choice of cabin.

I know RCI just changed their price adjustment policy but i THINK that if it's before final payment you can get an adjustment, but once Final payment is made, that's it....

I am sure a fellow CCer will have more info on that....or you can read thru the board......

You do receive any price drop before final payment. It either reduces the amount you owe, or you can have an onboard credit (obc).

After final payment you cannot get the price drop difference in cash, but if there is a cabin in a higher category that is the same price (or less) than you paid, they will give you an upgrade to that higher category cabin.

After you book, check your prices for 2 days after. If you find the price is lower within 48 hours of booking, they will refund you the difference, plus 10%. After 48 hours, the price drop policy mentioned above kicks in.

You do receive any price drop before final payment. It either reduces the amount you owe, or you can have an onboard credit (obc).

After final payment you cannot get the price drop difference in cash, but if there is a cabin in a higher category that is the same price (or less) than you paid, they will give you an upgrade to that higher category cabin.

After you book, check your prices for 2 days after. If you find the price is lower within 48 hours of booking, they will refund you the difference, plus 10%. After 48 hours, the price drop policy mentioned above kicks in.

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm also a first time RCI cruiser so I have one more question if you don't mind. I booked an inside and for my sailing it looks like insides are sold out. HOWEVER, there is a sale event going on right now and it looks like I could get a balcony for $105 extra total which is well worth it I think. Can I call them and ask for an upgrade?

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm also a first time RCI cruiser so I have one more question if you don't mind. I booked an inside and for my sailing it looks like insides are sold out. HOWEVER, there is a sale event going on right now and it looks like I could get a balcony for $105 extra total which is well worth it I think. Can I call them and ask for an upgrade?

No.

It says quite clearly on the information sheet of the promotion that is is for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY.

Since you are already booked on your cruise, yours would not be a new booking.

Therefore, you cannot do what you propose.

It's an unfortunate consequence of you booking early, in this particular case.

No.

It says quite clearly on the information sheet of the promotion that is is for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY.

Since you are already booked on your cruise, yours would not be a new booking.

Therefore, you cannot do what you propose.

It's an unfortunate consequence of you booking early, in this particular case.

Dang it. Nest time I'll just wait if that's how the game is played with RCI. Thanks for the info!

the 48 hour thing only applies if you BOOK after final payment I believe, other wise is you are before that then you get any drops (except sales events) up until final payment. I was too busy to keep up with the 300 page thread, lol so someone correct me if I am wrong.

why not just canx your inside cabin; and make a new booking for the balcony cabin.

Honestly I'm not sure because I'm not well-versed in the rules. But I am paid in full and only 20 days or less away from sailing. Doesn't that mean I cannot cancel? And also, were I to cancel and rebook, wouldn't they catch on to that? I mean, I wish it were that simple, and if it is I'll do it.

Honestly I'm not sure because I'm not well-versed in the rules. But I am paid in full and only 20 days or less away from sailing. Doesn't that mean I cannot cancel? And also, were I to cancel and rebook, wouldn't they catch on to that? I mean, I wish it were that simple, and if it is I'll do it.

At this point if you cancel your original booking then you would pay a 50% penalty of your cruise price.

I have cruised Disney and Carnival but never Royal Caribbean. Family really wants to cruise RCI and I am pricing Freedom of the Seas for Feb. 2011. It seems kind of expensive and I am wondering if I need to go ahead and book it or wait an see if the price goes down. Anyone have any experience with pricing that can help me?

I would find it hard to believe that Royal Caribbean is charging more than Disney. That said, I would book now. If the price goes down you can always ask for the new lower price. If the price goes up (and most likely it will) you can keep the old lower price. However, if you wait, and prices go up, you cannot ask to be booked at the old lower price.

I have a cruise booked for February 2011 (not on the Freedom of the Seas). The price of that cruise has more than doubled since I booked.

the 48 hour thing only applies if you BOOK after final payment I believe, other wise is you are before that then you get any drops (except sales events) up until final payment. I was too busy to keep up with the 300 page thread, lol so someone correct me if I am wrong.

No, the price guarantee is only good for the first 48 hours after you initially book, and it doesn't matter when you book. If you go to RCCL's home page there is a link to the right of the "quick vacation search" drop down boxes.

No, the price guarantee is only good for the first 48 hours after you initially book, and it doesn't matter when you book. If you go to RCCL's home page there is a link to the right of the "quick vacation search" drop down boxes.

No you can get the reduction up to final payment though, are you referring to the 10% part? Sorry but I am confused on your answer, you can get the reduction up to final payment if booked after May 17th.

No you can get the reduction up to final payment though, are you referring to the 10% part? Sorry but I am confused on your answer, you can get the reduction up to final payment if booked after May 17th.

Yes, I am referring to the 10% thing, which RCCL refers to as their Best Price Guarantee:

Introducing the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee.

You will have 48 hours after you reserve to find a lower price. If you do, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your reservation as an onboard credit. This lowest rate must be a rate publicly advertised by Royal Caribbean International. Program terms and conditions apply.

Then, after the 48 hours post-booking time period, I agree the price reductions that occur before final payment date can be given as a reduced final payment, or an obc. After final payment you can get an upgrade if your price is the same (or less) than a higher category cabin.

Yes, I am referring to the 10% thing, which RCCL refers to as their Best Price Guarantee:

Introducing the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee.

You will have 48 hours after you reserve to find a lower price. If you do, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your reservation as an onboard credit. This lowest rate must be a rate publicly advertised by Royal Caribbean International. Program terms and conditions apply.

Then, after the 48 hours post-booking time period, I agree the price reductions that occur before final payment date can be given as a reduced final payment, or an obc. After final payment you can get an upgrade if your price is the same (or less) than a higher category cabin.

Ok then we agree, I thought you were saying that no reductions would be given past the 48 hours. I don't even look at the 110% part because to me that is marketing 101 and not realistic. It looks good on paper.

I use a TA, can I make payments to stretch this out in case there is a price reduction?

Check with your TA, but they shouldn't have an issue as long as you are paid off by final payment date.

I have used all 3 cruise lines that you mentioned and to me I would not be worried about the price comparison as much as what do you get as a value for your family on this cruise. Otherwise are your kids younger and would Disney give the better value, are my kids grown and perfer to party or adventurous and want diversity, these are the questions I would ask myself and choose what ship gives the best value for my family. If you are worried about Freedom, then don't, it is a great ship with alot of diversity for all ages. But just look at your family and what you are looking for and choose the adventure that would give the best value regardless of initial price because the return is more important than the cost.

Archived