Brief Review: Explorer 6/24/10

Hello,

We just got back from our 9 day trip on Explorer yesterday. I don't want to write a long review, but I thought I'd contribute some of the highlights/disappointments:

The Explorer is a nice ship, but you can tell that she is aging. The ship isn't dirty or disappointing, but there are occasional dings and points of wear-and-tear. Our room (7595) was fine, but the interior wall somehow made a lot of creaking noises at night, when the ship was moving. We adjusted to the noise, and it was ok.

We loved the entertainment staff, and the shows were absolutely first-rate. The singers and dancers were the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The entertainment staff was friendly, upbeat and set a great tone.

The food was fair. Some meals were quite good, most were good, and some were pretty mediocre. However, the wait staff was only too happy to let you try something else, if you didn't like your meal. The main dinging room wait staff did a great job. Portofino's staff was remarkably inattentive. Johnny Rocket's staff was the happiest, most upbeat and helpful group I have ever seen!

So, in general, I have some mixed feelings. If I had to pick again, I don't think I would pick the Explorer, because of the food and the ship's age. However, the crew was generally great, and the ports of call were very good too. Also, living in PA it was terrific to just be able to drive to NJ. So, for those reasons, I might consider the Explorer again...

i hope this was helpful!

We just got off the same cruise and i have mixed feelings about the Explorer. We sailed on her about 7 years ago and it just wasnt the same. The ship is beautiful but is showing her age. It was not well maintained in certain areas and other areas were gorgeous. I was alittle disappointed in the food. The windjammer was horrendous and the dining room was very good at times. The biggest problem our family had was with access to non-alcoholic beverages. My daughter had soda sticker and when she went to Promenade Cafe for refills they would by-pass her and take Ben and Jerry ice cream orders even though she was first in line. It got to the point my husband would have to go with her to get service there. the promenade only had ice water there and no lemonade or ice tea very disappointing. The coffee was not good at all. We actually lost weight on the cruise(i'm not complaining)We had an excellent room attendant that was awesome and our dining room servers were great.

We were on this same cruise.

From our perspective the ship was in excellent shape. I did not see any evidence of an aging ship, quite the opposite.

Service was outstanding. Food in the MDR was excellent.

If anything I would say the ship was too new for our tastes.

It seems in the last update they made the dance floors smaller.

That was our only complaint.

With 3,500 passengers each week it "ain't" easy keeping things up to snuff. Under the circumstances the ships crew cares and does a fine job. Based on our experience, the promanade MGR will be apologetic more than happy to resolve any problem, such as not getting served soda refills.

I agree Tony.....love the fact we don't have to fly to get on a ship.

Yes the ship is a little worn but she takes a beating like no other RCCL going up and down the eastern seaboard week after week. The crew is like none other.

Have two more cruises on her next year!

I just got off the Explorer of June 19, 2010. The ship is in great condition.

I have a question: How would your house look if you had 3,000+ people roaming around it day and night?

The ship would only remain perfect it if were not used.

Yes,there are a few warn spots. I am sure that the Oasis, as new as she is has a few already. I refer to them as "love spots". If the ship did not receive so much "love" from it's passengers, things would not get worn.

You can always find a child's favorite stuffed animal. That is the one with some of the fur "loved" off.

thank you for your honest review. I have to fly to any port; so those who can drive to a port and get on a ship I applaud you; you guys are lucky. Sailed Explorer when she was fairly new; all ships have a little wear and tear; but the main things is; you really do get a good return for the money it costs; lodging, food, entertainment, and travel; all for one low price; that is hard to beat. Plus u get to chat up with some new friends everyday.

Cheers

a couple of things i think could be corrected with minimal money and time beginning with the railings on the AFT balconies(these were the ones i could see from my aft balcony) they needed a coat or two of varnish. The loungers on my balcony were missing straps and could not be used. This was my first AFT balcony and i loved it. I think the view of the wake is amazing and the sound is so soothing. I will definately book aft balconies in the future. I understand that the ship is older and i recognize normal wear and tear but there are a few things that could be approved upon. As for asking the promenade manager to get your soda filled is ridiculous they really need to address the beverage issue (not having non-alcoholic drinks more easily accessible such as in the pool areas instead of running to the windjammer every time you were thirsty) and only having coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate and ice water.

The loungers on my balcony were missing straps and could not be used.

You could always ask your stateroom attendant to replace the loungers. We've never had a problem getting loungers for our balcony.

Just today I started considering the 12/10-19 Explorer cruise out of NJ. My biggest concern has always been losing all that time at the beginning and end of the cruise due to cold weather. Is it worth it to be stuck inside for almost 4 out of 9 days?

The rate now is $719pp for an inside. I don't recall seeing rates out of the NY area that low, which is why I'm strongly considering this. The cold = scary. Not having to fly = fabulous. (Although my poor friend still has to fly in from NM!)

Just today I started considering the 12/10-19 Explorer cruise out of NJ. My biggest concern has always been losing all that time at the beginning and end of the cruise due to cold weather. Is it worth it to be stuck inside for almost 4 out of 9 days?

The rate now is $719pp for an inside. I don't recall seeing rates out of the NY area that low, which is why I'm strongly considering this. The cold = scary. Not having to fly = fabulous. (Although my poor friend still has to fly in from NM!)

Only the first and last sea day will be too cold for outdoor activities.

You could always ask your stateroom attendant to replace the loungers. We've never had a problem getting loungers for our balcony.

Our attendant said they had no other loungers for the balconies.....and he also did not have bigger ice buckets even though we saw them all over the ship and in the hallways outside staterooms.

Our attendant said they had no other loungers for the balconies.....and he also did not have bigger ice buckets even though we saw them all over the ship and in the hallways outside staterooms.

For future reference, a quick call to the head of housekeeping would have solved your problems.

I just got off the Explorer of June 19, 2010. The ship is in great condition.

I have a question: How would your house look if you had 3,000+ people roaming around it day and night?

The ship would only remain perfect it if were not used.

Yes,there are a few warn spots. I am sure that the Oasis, as new as she is has a few already. I refer to them as "love spots". If the ship did not receive so much "love" from it's passengers, things would not get worn.

You can always find a child's favorite stuffed animal. That is the one with some of the fur "loved" off.

Well Said !

For future reference, a quick call to the head of housekeeping would have solved your problems.

FWIW - I go on any trip expecting a certain amount of wear, tear, and issues. Let's face it, things happen. And you're right, we can usually get satisfaction by escalating the complaint up the chain of command, making a royal pain (no pun intended) of ourselves. But you shouldn't have to call the head of housekeeping to get a broken chair fixed, or the restaurant manager to get a reasonable level of service.

The real test of a company isn't that these things exist or happen, but how they're handled - the first time and when the boss isn't looking.

I was on this cruise also. I agree that the entertainment was great, some of the best we've ever seen on a cruise. I can't agree about the food or the wear and tear of the ship. I have been on the Explorer 4 times and each time the food has gotten better. The only food item I did not enjoy was the steak. The other meals I had were terrific. I especially loved the filet of beef, the roast chicken (which was a new menu item), the rack of lamb and the lamb shank.

The breakfast specials every morning were fabulous; I never would have expected to have crab cake benedict. Lunch in the dining room was also great. Besides the salad bar there were many delicious choices. I loved the Moroccan style lamb pita and the Moroccan chicken sandwich, which was a special. The chicken breast was the most tender I have ever had. My husband raved over the Royal burger. I agree that the Windjammer food is not the best, but most buffets do not offer great food. I did enjoy the choices in the Jade section. It was a nice surprise to have a poolside barbecue one day. That was something I have never had on any of my 9 other RCI cruises.

As to the wear and tear of the ship, I did not really notice any. I purposely looked for it due to all the comments on this board. The only thing I could find was the outside of the ship by the anchor could have used a paint job, but that was it. Everything else was in great shape.

We have already booked again for next June and are looking forward to another great cruise.

FWIW - I go on any trip expecting a certain amount of wear, tear, and issues. Let's face it, things happen. And you're right, we can usually get satisfaction by escalating the complaint up the chain of command, making a royal pain (no pun intended) of ourselves. But you shouldn't have to call the head of housekeeping to get a broken chair fixed, or the restaurant manager to get a reasonable level of service.

The real test of a company isn't that these things exist or happen, but how they're handled - the first time and when the boss isn't looking.

i agree with you 100%. I will always have a special place in my heart for the Explorer and the purpose of my posts is to give honest feedback to anyone who wants to read what i have to say not to dis RC

I was on this cruise also. I agree that the entertainment was great, some of the best we've ever seen on a cruise. I can't agree about the food or the wear and tear of the ship. I have been on the Explorer 4 times and each time the food has gotten better. The only food item I did not enjoy was the steak. The other meals I had were terrific. I especially loved the filet of beef, the roast chicken (which was a new menu item), the rack of lamb and the lamb shank.

The breakfast specials every morning were fabulous; I never would have expected to have crab cake benedict. Lunch in the dining room was also great. Besides the salad bar there were many delicious choices. I loved the Moroccan style lamb pita and the Moroccan chicken sandwich, which was a special. The chicken breast was the most tender I have ever had. My husband raved over the Royal burger. I agree that the Windjammer food is not the best, but most buffets do not offer great food. I did enjoy the choices in the Jade section. It was a nice surprise to have a poolside barbecue one day. That was something I have never had on any of my 9 other RCI cruises.

As to the wear and tear of the ship, I did not really notice any. I purposely looked for it due to all the comments on this board. The only thing I could find was the outside of the ship by the anchor could have used a paint job, but that was it. Everything else was in great shape.

We have already booked again for next June and are looking forward to another great cruise.

The poolside BBQ was awesome and it made my mouth water just walking to my stateroom. I couldnt wait to change from being in PR all morning and run up there to eat. It was a pleasant surprise.

Archived