Why are there only giant ships....

Badgebunny - I went on a Freedom Class for spring break this year. While a balcony was $1600 pp I watched prices like crazy and eventually caught it for $800 pp plus then had C&A discounts. So just keep a watch on it and you may be able to get it. Put a deposit on what you can afford now and vigilantly watch what you really want. Maybe before final payment you will see a sale for what you want and can cancel your original. Just a thought.

As I'm writing this I can't remember if you're wanting to go out of a Florida port or not but what about the Serenade or of the Adventure of the Seas? They go out of San Juan, which airfare is more expensive, however, they do 4 ports in 7 days, or at least the Serenade does, but we just did that cruise the latter part of May and early June, it was so much fun!
I think only Sereande will be based in San Juan next summer.

We are also surprised by RC's exit from the Caribbean next summer. There are 11 ships in Europe & only 4 in the Caribbean (not counting Majesty & Monarch in the Bahamas). I'd like to see at least one Voyager class there. It seems they are trying to force us onto the Oasis & Allure, which we're not buying into.

I think only Sereande will be based in San Juan next summer.

It doesn't matter. Considering the temperature here right now the last place I am going during the summer is San Juan or the Caribbean.

Sorry, the heat is getting to me.:(

We are also surprised by RC's exit from the Caribbean next summer. There are 11 ships in Europe & only 4 in the Caribbean (not counting Majesty & Monarch in the Bahamas). I'd like to see at least one Voyager class there. It seems they are trying to force us onto the Oasis & Allure, which we're not buying into.

Is the Explorer leaving the Caribbean next year? Granted it leaves from NJ, but you're closer to NJ than FL. :)

It doesn't matter. Considering the temperature here right now the last place I am going during the summer is San Juan or the Caribbean.

From what I've heard, it's hotter up there this week than here in FL...talk about a rainy holiday weekend!

To respond to another post, as far as I know, the Freedom is scheduled to continue E and W Caribbean out of Port Canaveral at least through next summer. While this might be more inconvenient for those in S Florida, it is a good (cheaper/smaller) alternative for many of us. Here's to the Freedom!! :D

San Juan is in the mid-80s and NY and Washignton are high 90's/100s. When we llived in the DC area, we once took a cruise durng July 4th week and told everyone that we had sailed to the Caribbean to get out of the heat.

Thanks for everyone's input. It looks like we may have decided on the Carnival Liberty for next June going to the Eastern Caribbean(barring any sudden and huge price drops). Maybe next time we can get back on a Royal, if they have any ships left in the Caribbean :0)

Amy

I'd like to see at least one Voyager class there. It seems they are trying to force us onto the Oasis & Allure, which we're not buying into.

I'm just curious - you would cruise Voyager Class, but not Oasis? Why not? :confused:

They put the ships were they believe there is the most demand for them. Apparently that is not in the Caribbean during the summer months. They are not doing anything that the other lines aren't doing as well. If they are trying to "force" people onto the Oasis and Allure and not being successful they will change their strategy but the fact that you aren't buying into it, doesn't mean that others aren't. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious - you would cruise Voyager Class, but not Oasis? Why not? :confused:

Do you mean besides pricing? I booked Oasis for next year. The reason is not that important. I am paying more than double for one week on Oasis than I did for 8 nights on Independence with the same cabin catagory. Actually, I guess the reason I booked Oasis is important or I'd consider myself as being crazy for paying the price.

Originally Posted by Cruzaholic41

I'm just curious - you would cruise Voyager Class, but not Oasis? Why not?

My guess it's the price that's why we simply can't :(

By the way, Carnival has quite a few ships in the Caribbean. Therefore, we are having to jump the Royal ship next summer and go CCL.

Amy

Because of price and no desire to be on the same ship with so many other cruisers.

While it has some innovating things, I don't feel any desire to be on a ship with a carroussel.

Because of price and no desire to be on the same ship with so many other cruisers.

While it has some innovating things, I don't feel any desire to be on a ship with a carroussel.

My guess it's the price that's why we simply can't :(

I understand the price issue....for now, but I have a feeling that will eventually change just like it did for all the other ship classes when they were new.

What I don't understand is the argument of so many other people or the existence of a carousel. I posed the question to someone who seems to like Voyager Class but doesn't want to try Oasis. Having actually been on the ship, I can assure you this ship is less crowded than Voyager Class. There were times I walked down the Promenade with no other person around. At 10 am, I was able to get 2 lounge chairs in the Solarium on a sea day. Try doing that on Voyager. And so what if the carousel exists on board. To each his own, I guess. But skipping this ship because of your own pre-conceived notions only results in you missing out.

Royal Caribbean is simply trying to keep the demand up for their ships during the summer months when cruise lines like Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and Norwegian pull ships out of the Caribbean and leave only Carnival and Royal to compete for those Caribbean dollars. Cruisers are now limted as to what cruise lines they can choose from late spring to early fall. Even Royal Caribbean is pulling 11 ships out for Europe. Royal Caribbean is betting that people will still book either the Freedom, Oasis, Allure, Enchantment or Explorer if they want something to the Caribbean. If not then I guess Carnival will be the lucky one.

If you focus on the carousel, you are totally missing what makes Oasis such a special ship. We boarded her thinking that she would be too big, too crowded and something we would only sail on again if we were with our grandchildren. It didn't take long to disabuse us of that notion. Central Park is a fabulous area as is the bi-level solarium and so many other features of the ship. We can easily spend a week on Oasis or Allure without ever being bothered by the existence of the carousel. Entertainment was geared to people of all ages and the same friendly service we receive on all the other RCI ships was present on Oasis as well.

Banish all preconceptions from your mind and try the ship. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly those preconceptions vanish.

I miss the smaller ships. Actually I like the size of the Granduer/Enchantment/Rapsody ect. Everyone keeps building bigger. Guess thats just compention. Will cruise no matter what I end up on but do tend to avoud the newest ships initially. Actually looking at a cruise on the Freedom in 1/2011. Have already been on it , I really look for the best price. I don't really care where I go as long as I can get the cabin I want.

I miss the smaller ships. Actually I like the size of the Granduer/Enchantment/Rapsody ect. Everyone keeps building bigger. Guess thats just compention. Will cruise no matter what I end up on but do tend to avoud the newest ships initially. Actually looking at a cruise on the Freedom in 1/2011. Have already been on it , I really look for the best price. I don't really care where I go as long as I can get the cabin I want.

People keep wanting smaller and you're correct, cruise lines keep going bigger. Holland America announced this morning that they are looking at their next generation of cruise ships to be around 3000 passengers and 110,000 tons. The HAL folks are not happy about that one. Here is one rather humerous post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25096257&postcount=13

Seems a little cranky to me. :)

People keep wanting smaller and you're correct, cruise lines keep going bigger. Holland America announced this morning that they are looking at their next generation of cruise ships to be around 3000 passengers and 110,000 tons. The HAL folks are not happy about that one. Here is one rather humerous post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25096257&postcount=13

Seems a little cranky to me. :)

So we are brain dead and the Carnival and Princess folks are not far behind us. I can only imagine what some of the conversations must be like on HAL with all those funtioning heads aboard.:)

So we are brain dead and the Carnival and Princess folks are not far behind us. I can only imagine what some of the conversations must be like on HAL with all those funtioning heads aboard.:)

Believe me, one cruise on HAL was enough for me. I think they all sit around compare who takes the most meds, who has the most ailments and the list goes on and on.;)

Believe me, one cruise on HAL was enough for me. I think they all sit around compare who takes the most meds, who has the most ailments and the list goes on and on.;)

LOLOLOL.....one of my daughters friends just had to endure a 14 night Alaska sailing with her family on HAL......thats almost criminal making 2 teenage daughters have to go thru that for summer vacation.

Archived