Coral Princess OR Sun Princess for Panama Canal?

WahooNKS

We're looking at booking a family cruise (3 couples) for next April '06. Both the Coral Princess and Sun Princess have Panama Canal cruises, deparing Ft Lauderdale and arriving San Fran and Los Angeles, respectively. We have never sailed either ship and need some guidance. I need to know upsides & downsides of each. Hoping you can help me out!

P.S. Sailing on the Star in 4 weeks!! I'm so excited I need to divert my attention by planning another cruise before I go crazy. How much planning can you actually do anyway for a 7-day cruise!!#$%&*!!

Trying to keep my sanity,

Wahoo

Since both of these cruises are full canal transits, I would choose the Coral for the following reasons. More balconies (and not cut out from the hull, outside the hull giving you a better view and not taking from the sizs of the cabin (I did a partial transit on the Island Princess, a sister of the Coral and absolutely loved the ship.) You have more options for dining and swimming on the Coral vs the Sun. The Coral is not much bigger than the Sun......and I love the Martini Bar on the Coral/Island (Crooners) and the Bayou Cafe not available on the Sun class ships. There are also a couple more venues for shows, etc....and the Wheelhouse is larger on the Coral.

For reference, I have been on the Island (x1) and the Sea (x2) and the Dawn (x1) and the Grand (x1) - the Island was my favorite of all.

The Coral Princess is the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on. It has all the amenities of a Grand class ship but in a smaller size. The cabins on this ship are very similiar to the Grand class ships. There are lots of minisuites and they are ususally affordable. The Coral Princess has an indoor pool (pool with retractable roof) which may be nice if the weather isn't very good. I prefer the decor on this ship.

The Sun Princess is a classy ship. The minisuites on this ship are very pricey and mostly resemble suites on the Grand class ships. There are great viewing possibilities on this ship as their is a front area that is open for viewing. The balconies on this ship is cut from the hull, they are small and fully covered. I do like the pizzeria on this ship - it is a restaurant verses a stand near the pool area.

So, it depends on what you want on a ship. I give the edge to the Coral Princess but would happily sail the Sun Princess again in a heart beat.

Like the previous posters said - depends on what you are looking for.

I have been on both ships and prefer the coral over the sun for the following reasons -

the rooms are bigg er on the coral

the show lounges, especially the vista lounge is much more appealing

there are specialty restaurants on the coral

and my big favorite is: hubby and I love night life and the coral has a wonderful explorers lounge with a very modern band - the sun seemed to be more reserved without a nice lounge for dancing except the wheelhouse bar which tended to have "older" people and "older" music . while the sun has a disco - we found it outdated and there were not many people in it. (but this is just my opinion.

in fact we are doing the panama canal for a second year in a row becuse we loved the coral so much.

again it depends on what you what

if you are looking for full transit then the sun is the better choice if it is more important for the ship amenities - then definitely the coral

when you walk down the hallway where the bayout and the italian resturant is - you feel like you are on bourbon st in Louisianna.

carol in connecticut

I have been on both ships. Last year we did partial transit r/t from Ft. Lauderdale and next year we are doing full transit May 3, 2006 from Ft. Lauderdale to S.F. Both are on the Coral. They are basically the same size but the Coral is a little bit newer. Either one is great to sail on.

Marilyn

Have been on the Sun for a 10 night Southern Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago and on the Coral for 10 night Panama canal 11/04. Have also been on the Dawn, Sea, and Grand. I like all for different reasons, but the Coral is the nicest in my opinion. The Lotus pool and spa area, the public areas and the minisuites are all great on the Coral. The Bayou Café is also great. I am sailing on the Coral in May to Alaska again!

Been on both the Coral and Sun Princess, although not through the Canal on either (but through the canal on Royal Princess).

Both are real nice ships, with strong and weak points. I think the mini-suites on the Sun are nicer than those on the Coral.

For me, my choice would depend entirely on itinerary - either ship would be fine.

For all the positive reasons posted but the major one is the balconies that are not cut out of the hull. The balconies on the Sun will not give you anywhere as much viewing area and that is the number one priority for transiting the canal unless you plan on going up on deck.

Did partial transit on the Island (sister to the Coral) and it was wonderful to have breakfast while going through the locks. Did a full transit in '79 on Sitmar before the balcony cabins were offered and it was not half as nice having to be up on deck all day with tons of people trying to all view the same thing.

Going on the Coral May 06 and friends are joining for their first Panama Canal trip. We recommended the Coral to them.

I second whoever said take the full crossing. We were on the Sun Princess and the Ocean Princess for our Panama Canal crossings and loved them both. They were full transits. Either way you will have fun.

Have booked a balcony on the Bump Aloha deck. Trying to change to a mini-suite on the bump. (four corners). Agent just called and the the last one on A deck was sold last night. Baja and Caribe are available. So any thoughts or suggestions out there?

Thanks In Advance ;)

john

John-

We were on a bumpout corner minisuite on the Coral in Alaska last May (A416), and it was wonderful for viewing and photography. On the Dawn in January we had a minisuite on the Baja deck, and the balcony was much larger than on the Coral, but more enclosed. We did prefer the layout of the room itself on the Dawn.

For the Panama Canal, we opted for the corner bumpout on the Coral again to maximize viewing and photographic enjoyment. We will miss the more private and spacious balcony (with two lounge chairs) on the sea days however. One negative feature on the Coral are the clear plastic wind panels up front, which make photography quite difficult. The Dawn (and I would presume the Sun) doesn't have these panels...

Whale-watcher yes I know what you mean about January.

It's Feb when you come home so we look forward to March and then it's spring time.

Still talking to the rest of the CruzDawgs who were on the Dawn with us. Some are looking at the Panama Cruise as well.

Yes a roll call has been started. LOL ;)

Largin, can you recommend any tours at the ports that you stopped at while on your Panama cruises. :confused: I am trying to pick the best ones for my grandson and me. I get around okay but do have some limited mobility. But I also wanted it to be memorable experience for my GS.:cool: He is 17. Thank you

Delores

Archived