What should I buy in St Thomas

pattycake08

Posters have said the shopping is good in St. Thomas. I have never been there so I dont know what I would be shopping for. A friend went & told me to buy the Larimar jewelry as it is very pretty. I have no idea where to get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions on anything to buy & where to get it?

Larimar, the gemstone of the Caribbean because it's only found in the Dominican Republic, is a very nice, Caribbean Sea blue stone that's usually set in sterling silver.

Since it's a natural stone, the color varies from very light grayish blue to darker sea blues. There have been some attempts to grade the stone with the bluer colors being the more desirable/valuable, but I don't think anybody in St Thomas sells by grade.

Stores that have consistently good larimar are Captain's Corner and A.H. Riise. There may be others, but these are the ones that I always seem to be impressed with in terms of color.

You can sometimes find larimar sterling silver pieces for less than $30, but you can also find necklaces with large chunky stones for more than $300. There's usually something for every budget.

Posters have said the shopping is good in St. Thomas. I have never been there so I dont know what I would be shopping for. A friend went & told me to buy the Larimar jewelry as it is very pretty. I have no idea where to get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions on anything to buy & where to get it?

Generally good buys on liquor, jewelry, perfumes, don't be afraid to look at the stores on the sides streets I found better buys for jewelry there. AH Rise excellent place to shop for many things. There is also a vendor market generally the first stop on the safari taxi if your ship is docked at Havensight its is called Emancipation Gardens shop for T-shirts/caps and trinkets, etc.

Sometimes Havensight mall may have things a bitter higher in price than downtown so it is worth it to compare. Electronics are generally pretty good buys here also. The prices are good but with jewelry you need to know what a comparable item cost at home first.

We go to A.H. Riise for liquor and perfume. For jewelry we have been sent to Imperial Jewelers. They are on "Main Street" . They were recommended to us by friends who have a time share in St. Thomas. Every time you go there you find people that have been dealing with them for years. They will negotiate their prices. They are known for diamonds. Also have gold, and the caribbean hook bracelet (silver). Don't know how much you want to spend, but check them out.

Was just on a cruise and bought a Parazul handbag which I just love (and can only be found in the Caribbean). Bought that at Diamond International, again on Main Street.

Just walk around and you will find many things. Enjoy your shoppping experience.

Was just on a cruise and bought a Parazul handbag which I just love (and can only be found in the Caribbean). Bought that at Diamond International

What is a Parazul handbag?

What does it look like?

What is the price point?

Details please-I'm a bag lady!

There is a little shop right off the main street that had the most beautiful embroided table cloths, runners, childrens dresses, etc.... If you have a baby shower in your future, it has the most unique things. I bought a runner and get many compliments.

Hi: They have wonderful stores for gold/silver jewelry. The liquor and cigarettes are a good deal there as well. Pretty much anything you want/need is on St. Thomas, followed by St. Maaten...I can't remember the stores by name, but you can get a feel for the "honesty" once you are in there.

There are many merchants from the NYC area and they know their stuff!!!! Negotiations are expected, so don't settle for the first price they offer. They don't expect you to accept it (mostly in the jewelry stores). The others are pretty much what they say, but you can certainly try once.

Safe sails. Let us know how well you do!

Hi: They have wonderful stores for gold/silver jewelry. The liquor and cigarettes are a good deal there as well. Pretty much anything you want/need is on St. Thomas, followed by St. Maaten...I can't remember the stores by name, but you can get a feel for the "honesty" once you are in there.

There are many merchants from the NYC area and they know their stuff!!!! Negotiations are expected, so don't settle for the first price they offer. They don't expect you to accept it (mostly in the jewelry stores). The others are pretty much what they say, but you can certainly try once.

Safe sails. Let us know how well you do!

My experience has been that the prices get lower the closer that you walk toward the door.:D

Was just on a cruise and bought a Parazul handbag which I just love (and can only be found in the Caribbean). Bought that at Diamond International

What is a Parazul handbag?

What does it look like?

What is the price point?

Details please-I'm a bag lady!

Go to Parazul.com From what we were told on the cruise it comes from France I believe. If you go to Parazul.com you can check them out. I bought a medium size one in pink trimed in beige with a pink scarf. I believe I paid $195. If you go on line it runs about 250 I believe. Inside the handbag there is a zipper compartment on one side and on the other there is a place for two pens, a cell phone compartment and another compartment. Diamonds International had them in one of their stores located on the second floor. Check them out.

Enjoy shopping

Think the previous posts have touted the what to buy; so here is another where to buy.

Ajanta Jewelers in Drake's passage has been a favorite of ours for years. First visit we wandered in, they were calling people by name as they entered the door. Repeat customers. Now we are the same.. Look online, email them what you are looking for and when you get there they will try to have it for you. And yes, the price often gets lower, especially if you have done your homework. We have never been disappointed in service or quality with Ajanta. Be sure and tell em your read it from the Arkansas cruiser. Enjoy !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If you sew or quilt there is a wonderful fabric store called Fabric in Motion. I do not remember the name of the street, but I can find it blindfolded.

I quilt...and I would LOVE to hit a fabric store to get some unique things from the islands. Can you tell me how to get there and how are the prices and selection?:)

Fabric in Motion is in town on the street that's perpendicular to the very popular Greenhouse Restaurant. The official name of the street is Store Tvaer Gade, but most people refer to it as Greenhouse Street.

I haven't been in that store in quite a while, but from what I remember, her 100% cotton prints were comparable to Stateside prices in specialty stores. The store's phone number is 340-774-2006.

Go to Parazul.com From what we were told on the cruise it comes from France I believe. If you go to Parazul.com you can check them out. I bought a medium size one in pink trimed in beige with a pink scarf. I believe I paid $195. If you go on line it runs about 250 I believe. Inside the handbag there is a zipper compartment on one side and on the other there is a place for two pens, a cell phone compartment and another compartment. Diamonds International had them in one of their stores located on the second floor. Check them out.

Enjoy shopping

The Parazul handbags look beautiful! Did you "bargain" for yours, or are their prices firm? Have you ever purchased cosmetics in either St Thomas or St Maarten? I'm wonderfing if the MAC or Estee Lauder prices are firm; is it unacceptable to offer lower?

are set prices. Negotiate on jewelery and perhaps linens if you are buying a lot. So shops have bonus packs w/ perfume and liquor like minis or canvas bags. Riise and Dynasty at Havensite are best for liquor and deliver to the ship. Riise and Supreme at Crown for liquor. Sometimes there's a special price for quantity or buy 2 get 1 free.

Edited by m steve

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!

While yes - you can get good deals on cigarrettes and electronics... Look at what you are buying. Cigarrettes in the Carribbean are not usually the same as in the US. If the box says "Made under the authority of RJ Reynolds" then it's not the same quality tobacco that you get in the US - and you will be disappointed.

Also on electronics - check where the warranty is good. If it's not a US warranty and there are problems - it will be harder to get it fixed.

I have not had these issues - but have heard from plenty that have.