PG Reviews - June 26, 2010

AnglerGirl

Hi all who are interested,

I went to Dubai as a stop over from a Safari in East Africa.

I loved the architecture - the palms were amazing from the air. Didnt see the world.

Loved The Burj. Suite was over the top : about 4000 sq feet - bigger than my home. The master was bordello style in red and black. My daughter's room was in provencal blue and yellow. Butler came by a few times with various gifts. We were treated very well in the Burj and surroundings but once outside the area things were different. Jean Claude Van Damme had breakfast when we were there . I had to come home and google to find out who he was. Must admit he was quite friendly and even sat down at a table with some adoring teenagers.

Consumerism, materialism and sexism reigned supreme. While waiting for a taxi at 11 pm the local males kept pushing in front and taking them while others including single females were forced to wait - one said she waited for 1.5 hours but they would push ahead. Malls have tons of people surging by with the buy, buy buy attitude. Loved the gold and diamond market some lovely Italian designs.

We took a boat ride i n the Madinat Jumeirah near the burj and the guy at the controls remarked that my camera ( 2 years old at that time) was an antique!

Had a long conversation with our cabbie. He lived in a room with 10 other people. Worked every day for 11 months and then went home for one month. The poor construction workers are treated really badly and its quite sad.

In the plane ( Emirates) the staff wouldnt give someone a glass of water in economy although we were on ground over an hour before take off.

We were hassled at the airport as well - our purses were passed through 3 times even after being checked by a female security guard.

Desert safari was interesting but tacky as well .

I did the PG trip to Fiji last year. Had a wonderful time. I much prefer Fp, though.

Loved Aitutaki. Could stay there a while. Raro was just OK. Heard that parts of the Lagoon is polluted.

Ocean Hills,

Dont you think men pushing in front of women and a cop allowing them to take first place in a taxi line up is sexist. What about the families with men always up front and a host of wives and kids trailing behind.

OK I was a bit prejudiced going in as well..... I admit it.

Are you serious? Where did you meet Fred and Pat? I don't think you'll get them back on the PG any time soon. Or am I missing something?

I am. It's not on the PG. And allthough our friends don't like the heat very much, I would never consider not extending an invitation to a very unique place at an excellent price!

Hi all who are interested,

I went to Dubai as a stop over from a Safari in East Africa.

I loved the architecture - the palms were amazing from the air. Didnt see the world.

Loved The Burj. Suite was over the top : about 4000 sq feet - bigger than my home. The master was bordello style in red and black. My daughter's room was in provencal blue and yellow. Butler came by a few times with various gifts. We were treated very well in the Burj and surroundings but once outside the area things were different. Jean Claude Van Damme had breakfast when we were there . I had to come home and google to find out who he was. Must admit he was quite friendly and even sat down at a table with some adoring teenagers.

Consumerism, materialism and sexism reigned supreme. While waiting for a taxi at 11 pm the local males kept pushing in front and taking them while others including single females were forced to wait - one said she waited for 1.5 hours but they would push ahead. Malls have tons of people surging by with the buy, buy buy attitude. Loved the gold and diamond market some lovely Italian designs.

We took a boat ride i n the Madinat Jumeirah near the burj and the guy at the controls remarked that my camera ( 2 years old at that time) was an antique!

Had a long conversation with our cabbie. He lived in a room with 10 other people. Worked every day for 11 months and then went home for one month. The poor construction workers are treated really badly and its quite sad.

In the plane ( Emirates) the staff wouldnt give someone a glass of water in economy although we were on ground over an hour before take off.

We were hassled at the airport as well - our purses were passed through 3 times even after being checked by a female security guard.

Desert safari was interesting but tacky as well .

Wow! Emdee, that sounds like a great trip - not only the safari, but to witness the modern extremes of Dubai as well as the primitive way of thinking its culture maintains. I think one has to see that treatment to believe it, right? I have heard marvelous stories about the gold deals there but have no idea if the rumours are true (that gold is a bargain).

So what kind of gifts did the butler manservant bring each day? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have read, in more than one magazine, about the poor conditions those imported workers face. :(

I did the PG trip to Fiji last year. Had a wonderful time. I much prefer Fp, though.

Loved Aitutaki. Could stay there a while. Raro was just OK. Heard that parts of the Lagoon is polluted.

Beachcomber must have listened to the 'can't top FP" crowd. There are no Fiji voyages in 2011.

Thanks Emdee.... kind of what I thought...guess I love natural beauty and history so opulent wealth and architecture doesn't rate as high as awesome beaches/sunsets and different cultures and historical accomplishments and and and. Neat experience for you and your daughter. The sexism is pervasive in those countries and hard to swallow for me.

I didn't get much reaction on Roll Call so that is why I'm grovelling at the feet of you fun 26'ers. I hope to live up to your reputation on the boat (newbie) and/or just swap stories when I get back. I loved bandt and maui's previews. THere were two quiet couples on roll call so we'll see if we meet. I didn't have to pay for this cruise and the teen is graduating high school next year so I just may do something wild.

BOn Voyage... At Last...thanks for the well wishes.....

mariah

Angler Girl,

A box of special dates, Then some boxes of snacky things nuts etc

The some other sweets in another box etc. etc.

Also each of us received the complete Hermes line - 100 ml of each item - perfume, eau de toilette, deodorant, lotion, several large soaps etc

The gold souk was OK but I LOVED the gold and diamond market. A lot of it was exquisite and made in Italy. I would consider braving the rest just for another shot at this market.

Mariah,

I am not a 26er just a lover of FP.

Enjoy yourself there and say hi to Ivan ( La Verandah) Efren ( Bar) and Miki the perfect gentleman who is the Maitre of the PG from Colin, Miriam and Chiara from Toronto. Tell them we really would love to come again and maybe it will be next year.

Thanks Emdee.... kind of what I thought...guess I love natural beauty and history so opulent wealth and architecture doesn't rate as high as awesome beaches/sunsets and different cultures and historical accomplishments and and and. Neat experience for you and your daughter. The sexism is pervasive in those countries and hard to swallow for me.

I didn't get much reaction on Roll Call so that is why I'm grovelling at the feet of you fun 26'ers. I hope to live up to your reputation on the boat (newbie) and/or just swap stories when I get back. I loved bandt and maui's previews. THere were two quiet couples on roll call so we'll see if we meet. I didn't have to pay for this cruise and the teen is graduating high school next year so I just may do something wild.

BOn Voyage... At Last...thanks for the well wishes.....

mariah

Bon Voyage Mariah!

Angler Girl,

A box of special dates, Then some boxes of snacky things nuts etc

The some other sweets in another box etc. etc.

Also each of us received the complete Hermes line - 100 ml of each item - perfume, eau de toilette, deodorant, lotion, several large soaps etc

The gold souk was OK but I LOVED the gold and diamond market. A lot of it was exquisite and made in Italy. I would consider braving the rest just for another shot at this market.

Oh my! Sounds lucious! I love to know what treats are given at hotels of that class. I guess I'm a treat envier. :D

OK. I've seen Hermes deodorant in a department store which shall remain nameless, but I never thought anyone actually used it. Maybe it's the official men's deodorant of Dubai. What does it smell like - someone once said 'oranges'.

Angler girl,

I think it has a musky smell. My husband got the entire men's collection - daughter and myself got the female collection. His is called Terre and ours ... des Merveilles. His fragrance was musky ours was woodsy citrusy. Per Hermes Eau des Merveilles : A surprising, woody-amber fragrance capturing the spirit of wood, the memory of the oceans and the sparkle of a constellation. There was also bath salts.

The snooty butler comes by and gives you a lecture as to what you can take home and what you cannot ( Dont try taking the red and black satin bedspread!) and shows you how you can work the drapes in the bedroom.

The dressing room was as big as my daughter's university apartment! A far cry from my PG cabin as we usually go on the fourth or fifth deck!

We are going on the Safaga to Barcelona trip on Regent in NOvember 2011 so if you are looking for a different experience that is a suggestion.

26'rs, you have email from me re: 2011 Fiji.

emdee, I had to LOL @ the lecture on what you can take and what you cannot. Perhaps north Americans before us have made off with the Burj's light fixtures!

Believe me, I'd love to see Europe and use Regent as transport. One day I hope, but the region is not on our radar right now. My sister is in Barcelona today on a 12 day land holiday with her DH and entourage of ultra hip and fun wine drinkers. He does not cruise but they get to some fantastic locales in Europe and we have a lot of family scatttered about over 4 countries. Have a wonderful trip. I'm sure you must be looking forward to it!

Are you serious? Where did you meet Fred and Pat? I don't think you'll get them back on the PG any time soon. Or am I missing something?

Oh Wendy! I forgot to answer one of your question. Apologies! I know them from the Galapagos voyage trip last year. Since then we have remained in touch and get together for dinner here in south Florida when they come on or off their Regent sailings. I hope to see them Sept or Oct when I'm in their neck of the woods. I find them delightful! They've spoken very highly of you.

We're booked on our very 1st PG cruise this fall, the 7 day Tahiti / Society Islands. After reading this long and very satisfied string we just cannot wait. I have two questions I hope somone can answer ...

1. What time does the Dr.Poole cruise set off and return, and
  2. Did anyone do the PG Shark Gallery dive off Moorea? If so what time of day does that get started and finish.

We're just trying to organize our agenda, and want to make sure we're not too booked or overlap anything ... so, so much to do.

thanks in advance for anything you can help out with.

We're booked on our very 1st PG cruise this fall, the 7 day Tahiti / Society Islands. After reading this long and very satisfied string we just cannot wait. I have two questions I hope somone can answer ...
  1. What time does the Dr.Poole cruise set off and return, and
  2. Did anyone do the PG Shark Gallery dive off Moorea? If so what time of day does that get started and finish.

We're just trying to organize our agenda, and want to make sure we're not too booked or overlap anything ... so, so much to do.

thanks in advance for anything you can help out with.

My husband and I are not divers, however, when we were coming back from our ATV ride in Moorea we ran into some fellow traveler friends on the tender that had taken the shark dive and loved it! These same gentlemen were pleased but not wowed by any of the other things they had done up to that point. I also met another gentleman later who had been on that dive and really enjoyed it as well.

The Dr. Poole cruise took off at 9:00-9:30 am on the 11 day cruise. We had a great time on his excursion. He is something of a legend in his own mind, but he does know his stuff and we did see a 85-100 dolphins on our trip.

I don't know if you get one or two days in Moorea on a 7 day cruise. They may schedule the exucrsions to allow you the opportunity to both without conflict should you only be there for one day.

• 2 weeks later...
We THINK we got their email, but can't find it ANYWHERE! Do you suppose they used vanishing ink?

We are working on a SUBSTANTIALLY discounted group thing on the PG for those (like us) who just can't break the habbit. More by private mail ASAP.

Nice! Sounds enticing! I look forward to hearing about it. We've already made our plans, but if someone can squeeze a deal on the PG, I'm all ears!

Hey guys I'm still here. Computer problems.

Just to bring you up to date.

The boys are fine my BW found them in baggage claims. She still thinks

Europe in closed so MtnD keep up the good work on the discounts.

Kim,:p I will E-mail you.

Tattoo Boy

We were on the PG 6/26 Cruise.......had dinner with you and Gay one night.....we are John and Laurie from Cleveland....we also sat in the seats behind you on the flight back.....we haven't stopped talking about the cruise.....we understand why you keep going back.....we would like to join the villagers and are interested in going back next June 29 2011...if you don't mind send us your e-mail address

John and Laurie

On our first cruise we took Vantage's deal with the hotel. On our second one we did not, but booked directly through a TA.

The story of the first trip, which was the first my wife and I went on, is on our website.

http://home.mindspring.com/~highlandpark/

For the second trip story, please e-mail me and I will be happy to send it.

highlandpark@mindspring.com

P.S. Pass on the drift snorkeling. read they story and find out why

Archived