Would you pay $35 to have a few extra hours on a cruise ship?

msu

Since we do carry-on only now, we want to get to the airport ASAP to see if we can get an earlier flight home. I have been able to get an earlier flight a couple of times so it is woth the effort. If an earlier flight can't be found, we sit and read - no biggie.

Since we do carry-on only now, we want to get to the airport ASAP to see if we can get an earlier flight home. I have been able to get an earlier flight a couple of times so it is woth the effort. If an earlier flight can't be found, we sit and read - no biggie.

WOW - carry on only for a Europe cruise, please tell me how you do it?

Well, it is fairly easily done but some people won't want to do it, but here goes:

For us, no country or continent is dramatically different for what we bring to wear, except for Antarctica - that did require checked luggage due to the heavy knee-high waterproof boots, etc. Otherwise, each of us brings a well-packed carry-on suitcase and a backpack. I also take a small purse.

We don't do formal nights, thus we take no formal clothes. That is the single biggest space saver. I do formal nights at home via the opera, theatre, my job, etc., and have no desire to "formal up" while on vacation. We do the dressy casual so we each take shoes and lightweight clothing appropriate. Additonally, we each take one pair of white sneakers and if needed, water shoes or flip flops

We take lots of double-duty, wear-more-than-once clothing and do self-serve laundry onboard, if available. It takes MAYBE an hour and I read a book while doing it so the time is well spent. I NEVER EVER send any of our clothes to a ship's laundry as the water and dryers are too hot and shrinkage inevitably occurs.

Underpants, bras, etc. get washed in warm water every day at the bath's sink after we're in for the night. The air conditioning or heat will easily have them dry by morning if wrapped in a towel first to absorb the excess water. My husband swears by the Ex-Officio t-shirts and underwear but I don't like the feel of that material or their wide waistbands so I just bring my cotton things.

I have never had a need for Space Sacks or any compression packing devices.

No way!

I can put that $35 dollar "lunch" in the Wind Jammer Cafe to better use. It can go towards my car service ride home. Once the cruise is done, it is done. :D

Need to address getting back to getting things done at home and ready for work, pick up mail, pick up dog, buy groceries, etc.

MARAPRINCE

No way!

I can put that $35 dollar "lunch" in the Wind Jammer Cafe to better use. It can go towards my car service ride home. Once the cruise is done, it is done. :D

I agree 100%. On that final morning, I want off the ship--no use prolonging the inevitable.

Nope, not me...the cruise is over....and I'm going home....if you could sleep late in your state room, get room service, check out late from the room around noon that might be different...but hanging around the ship while dragging whatever valuables you don't dare let go of doesn't sound like fun......rather be on my way home or to whatever the next adventure is!!!:)

We were on the Tahitian Princess a few years ago. The flight from Tahiti to LAX didn't leave till 10:00 pm. You were allowed to stay onboard the entire day, even dinner. We enjoyed talking with some couples on our embarkation day, telling us about their experiences.

Jim and Helen

I would not.

I do my own airfare when it comes to cruises and I try to plan the earliest but less rushed flight home.

As many others have said-cruise is over-home I go and back to work!!:(

Ending my cruise with a $35.00 mob scene WJ lunch is not the way I prefer!! Ooooo, BTW-I have to times that by 4 as family is with me-No freakin' way:eek:

For me, less depressing hanging by the pool and in the WJ than in the FLL airport for hours until our flight boards ... Also, it would be nice to face the awful travel day home on a bit more sleep than we usually get.

I agree with you. $35 sounds cheap to me.............

Did this last week in Malaga- had 5.30 flight and bad memories of trailing luggage round to find left luggage offices, hanging round airports...when we got the note about late departure my husband ran down to Guest Services to make sure we got it! We had a great time. We went to breakfast around 8.30 when the rush was over. Ship emptied at 9am leaving just those of us with our blue wrist bands. About 10 of us to share the main pools and jacuzzis, another couple of families in the adult area. As many towels as we wanted. Kids played mini golf and explored the ship taking photos which were impossible to get when it was full. Interesting watching staff getting the ship ready and hearing the announcements (telling them breakdown of arrivals by nationality, reminding them to smile). At 10.30 new arrivals started-bit depressing as staff then started saying "welcome" to everyone including us. Had a leisurely lunch, then strolled off the ship at 2.45, taxi to the airport at the perfect time for check in and home. Worth every penny.

Archived