HAL - San Juan

DDMau

Does anyone know if Holland does r/t San Juan.

Looking at Oct/Nov 2010.

thanks

Don't think HAL bases a ship in San Juan and no round trips, but as previous poster indicated it is a port of call for HAL.

Try Princess, they do some nice 7 and 14 day cruises from San Juan. Airfare/hotels prices can be a bear in season.

We did a RT, San Juan last year on princess . I proably wouldnt do it again . Going out of FL is easer and air is cheaper . Its quite a ways from airport to cruise terminal and we came in night before and the hotels near cruise port were expensive . We should have gotten a room near airport and drove to ship in the morning . It also seemed like less americans and more forengers than out of fl . just my observation . We should have came in 2 or 3 days earler so I could have explored more . This spring our cruise stoped there so I got to look around more . The fort was very interesting . CARL

Has at least two forts. El Castillo de San Cristobal, although 100 years younger and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_San_Felipe_del_Morro

and I sure did like that segway ride with alias chief back in December on the Eurodam. only one fell off and she was a tough lady from South Georgia, who climbed back on and rode that segway back to the starting line.. Great Fun...San Juan was a fun place to visit.

We did a RT, San Juan last year on princess . I proably wouldnt do it again . Going out of FL is easer and air is cheaper . Its quite a ways from airport to cruise terminal and we came in night before and the hotels near cruise port were expensive . We should have gotten a room near airport and drove to ship in the morning . It also seemed like less americans and more forengers than out of fl . just my observation . We should have came in 2 or 3 days earler so I could have explored more . This spring our cruise stoped there so I got to look around more . The fort was very interesting . CARL

These 'foreigners' sailing out of San Juan. Were they Puerto Ricans :confused::rolleyes::eek:

I love Old San Juan. But most ship get into port in the afternoon. The only cruise that I found that gives you the most day light hours there is the one listed below. I did a lot of checking to find this cruise. Even other lines don't spend as much day light hours there. This is the only cruise this winter that does the day light hours. The other sailing on the same ship get into port in the afternoon and leave late. The forts close at 5 or 6 PM and we like to spend some time there, so this is good for us.

Ship: ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Embark Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Disembark Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US Departure Dates: Jan 23, 2011

Ports of Call: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Philipsburg (St. Maarten), AN; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

San Juan, Puerto Rico 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

What we ran into was not many people on our cruise spoke english . At our table of 8 only my wife and myself spoke american . We had a couple from france , a couple from germany and a couple from PR. They could understand a little english but we couldnt comunicate very well . I asked my room steward about that . He said only about 25% of passengers were american on an average cruise out of PR. Most americans cruise from the states . Its not a problem as ive been on quite a few cruises overseas that its the same .On some of the cruise ships ive been on when you get in elevator english or american is the last info given . With the devaluated value of our dollar a lot of people are traveling today from other countries .Ive also noted that the prices out of PR are some times quite a bit lower priced than cruises from the states . CARL

Last December on the MS Eurodam, we had a nice day in San Juan. We did the Segway tour and it was a blast. So check out MS Eurodams 2010/11 Caribbean cruises.

we are on the Eurodam doing eastern caribbean on 2/12/2011. Where are the segway tours? are they independent or offered through HAL??

Originally Posted by 50cruiser

Eurodam's long port call and late night departure is FABulous in our opinion. One of the reasons we chose Eurodam's itinerary b-to-b in Feburary was for two of those long visits. San Juan is a favorite port of ours. Puerto Rico is U.S. and citizens there hold a U.S. passport. :)

We sailed, years ago, b-to-b on Princess from San Juan and loved the itinerary though we didn't love that cruise nearly like HAL.

We sailed Celebrity out of San Juan in January -- air fare from New York was less than that to Miami or FLL - seeing the city itself is worth spending a night or two pre-cruise. Cab fare from airport was reasonable - and if you shop around there are plenty of inexpensive hotels -- or upscale ones which are worth every penny --try Il Convento.

As far as "foreigners" go -- isn't running into one or two part of the enjoyment of travel-- and isn't that what we become as soon as we leave the ship at a port of call? We had two couples from Russia at our table --conversation was great, if only slightly impaired.

What we ran into was not many people on our cruise spoke english . At our table of 8 only my wife and myself spoke american . We had a couple from france , a couple from germany and a couple from PR. They could understand a little english but we couldnt comunicate very well . I asked my room steward about that . He said only about 25% of passengers were american on an average cruise out of PR. Most americans cruise from the states . Its not a problem as ive been on quite a few cruises overseas that its the same .On some of the cruise ships ive been on when you get in elevator english or american is the last info given . With the devaluated value of our dollar a lot of people are traveling today from other countries .Ive also noted that the prices out of PR are some times quite a bit lower priced than cruises from the states . CARL

Perhaps 'non-English speaking passengers' might have been a better description than 'foreigners'. After all, what are you when you leave USA?

I'd recommend Celebrity out of San Juan. The only problem w/ cruises out of there IMO is that they are very port intensive. Our very first cruise was out of there on Celebrity and after 5 ports is 7 days we came home needing another vacation.

Now in a week we look for 4 ports or less and if 4, one of them has to be HMC which is nearly as relaxing as a sea day.

I'd recommend Celebrity out of San Juan. The only problem w/ cruises out of there IMO is that they are very port intensive. Our very first cruise was out of there on Celebrity and after 5 ports is 7 days we came home needing another vacation.

Now in a week we look for 4 ports or less and if 4, one of them has to be HMC which is nearly as relaxing as a sea day.

You can always "cheat": stay aboard and pretend on one, or more, sea day(s) that the ship is just moving extremely s---l---o---w---l---y. An added plus is that you will have more of the ship to yourself.

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/ This was an independent tour.

perfect! thanks! :) this looks like a blast to do, I have booked the San Juan city tour at 2:15 with HAL. IS this going to be repititious of HALS excursion or could I see different things?? There is plenty of time as we are in port for 10 hours. Either? or? both???:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to book a Segway tour for our upcoming cruise in Feb 2011, and was informed that on the day we are in San Juan, it was not possible to get a tour because of a contract, the day was designated to the Soltice. :((((

I tried to book a Segway tour for our upcoming cruise in Feb 2011, and was informed that on the day we are in San Juan, it was not possible to get a tour because of a contract, the day was designated to the Soltice. :((((

That isn't nice of San Juan to designate the day to the Soltice.

I would problably call Seattle and tell them what is happening -- even if it is a private tour. There could even be some ship tours that will be affected.

Susan, We will be there on Feb 14th, Here is the reply I received:

Carol

Thank you for the interest shown in Segway Tours P.R.

All our departures on this date given to Solstice.

We have a contract with them.

Please, try to book directly with Solstice.

Looking forward to see you then.

Regards,

Nataliya Yanyuk

Segway Tours of P.R.

Pier 2, left wing Off. 4

Old San Juan, P.R. 00901

Mob.787-598-9455

http://www.segwaytourspr.com

Archived