Anytime on first night

rooben

We will not arriving at the port until 4.30. This time we have opted for anytime dining - will we need to wait hours for a table on the first night because everyone else will have made reservations before we even get on board?

We will not arriving at the port until 4.30. This time we have opted for anytime dining - will we need to wait hours for a table on the first night because everyone else will have made reservations before we even get on board?

I don't think the majority of peole make reservations for anytime dining! They understand the concept -- they can eat anytime (the dining room is open), and so they just show up!

When does your ship leave port? 4:30 seems awfully late to me! You need to be sure you're ON the ship at least 90 minutes before it set sails...

You should have no trouble on the first night getting seated, unless you go during the busiest time of the evening. People usually don't make reservations in anytime dining until after they have had that first meal, and gotten to know the table area and wait staff.

Mike

We have never had problems getting into the dining room on the first night.

4:30 does seem late to board the ship, usually that is the time for the safety drill. Is your ship sailing late?

Enjoy your cruise :)

According to his posting history, it seems that the OP is on the Crown July 29, which according to the Princess website is sailing from Southhampton at 5pm. If this is so, then indeed he is planning to board the ship too late.

We have never made reservations for anytime dining and have always chosen anytime. We have found it best to arrive between 5:30 and 6:15 to get it right away and be seated. Then we also found the buffet lately to offer alot of what the dining room has so we would eat there especially after a long day in port.

I don't think the majority of peole make reservations for anytime dining! They understand the concept -- they can eat anytime (the dining room is open), and so they just show up!

When does your ship leave port? 4:30 seems awfully late to me! You need to be sure you're ON the ship at least 90 minutes before it set sails...

I was wondering about this myself. In fact, I cringe whenever I read a post in which someone is flying into their embarkation city the same day of their cruise.

It appears to me that your problem is not having a wait at one of the anytime dining room, rather it is the decision on where to dine at the port as the Crown sails off without you. Your chances of being allowed to board are virtually nil. For your own sanity I highly suggest you plan to arrive hours earlier than you plan.

We always do anytime dining and occasionally there is a queue. Take a look when you get near the door, if there is a queue take a pager and go to the nearest bar for a pre-dinner drink. I think the longest we have had to wait is about 15/20 minutes.

I have nightmares about missing the ship and always ensure I get to the embarkation port before lunch, an overnight hotel stay if necessary. Don't know whether you are flying in, but delays can occur.

Good luck

Gillian

They do not take reservations on embarkation day!

I don't mean to sound stupid but how do you make reservations? Do you call someone or go someplace to do this? We are a party of 8 including my 87 yo mil. We're supposed to have "priority dining reservation" (whatever that means). But I still have no clue how we're supposed to do this.lol

I don't mean to sound stupid but how do you make reservations? Do you call someone or go someplace to do this? We are a party of 8 including my 87 yo mil. We're supposed to have "priority dining reservation" (whatever that means). But I still have no clue how we're supposed to do this.lol

By calling the restaurant line on your phone in your cabin; or going to the front desk and making them; or by stopping by the restaurant during the day (there'll be a crew member there, or one will appear when they see you at the door).

I don't know what "priority dining reservation" means..but you could call your TA and ask, or if you don't have a TA and booked directly with Princess, call them.

You CANNOT make reservations for anytime on embarkation day. On following days you call after 8 AM. DINE or 3465, I think. They will only take reservations for 6 -6:30 or 8 - 8:30, nothing in between. I have never heard of "priority reservations" and we are elite with 28 cruises.

We do take the time to get to know the headwaiter at the door and he will usually make res for us for the entire cruise.

You CANNOT make reservations for anytime on embarkation day. On following days you call after 8 AM. DINE or 3465, I think. They will only take reservations for 6 -6:30 or 8 - 8:30, nothing in between. I have never heard of "priority reservations" and we are elite with 28 cruises.

We do take the time to get to know the headwaiter at the door and he will usually make res for us for the entire cruise.

We're in a suite and priority reservations are a suite perk. MIL wants to eat at 7:30 so you don't think this will be possible??

We're in a suite and priority reservations are a suite perk. MIL wants to eat at 7:30 so you don't think this will be possible??

Can't say for sure, but I believe we were told last time no reservations after 6:30 (before 8pm) as it is the "peak" time people come to dinner. If those without a reservation had to wait forever it could cause a riot!

You can try. If you are in a full suite you can order from room service and get it whenever you want it.

Archived