laundry Room Questions

tgetz

We ahve sailed on HAL ships many times but i have never used the laundry rooms. We stay in suites, so if i need something washed, i generally let them do it. However, we are going on a 35 day cruise and there are a few things i would like to wash in cold water myself. I have read that the washing machine dispenses the luandry soap. Does anyone know if you have to use their soap, or can you use your own- like adding a woolite soap? Thanks in advance. oh, we are on the MAasdam.

There are signs in the public laundry rooms asking you to use only the provided soap. Other types of detergent are not supposed to be used due to the water systems on the ship.

That said I have read here before people saying they wash out a few of their "delicate" items with Woolite in the sink in their stateroom so I'm not sure why it is ok to use in the sink in your stateroom but not in the washing machine :rolleyes:

ok, I have to remember and I am going back in time because I use the suites now.

Tip, what do you want to wash in cold water - just some 'personals'. If so bring some woolite (you can get the small packs at CAA/AAA) and wash in your bath tub or sink.

When I used the laundry, I believe you either had to buy soap or bring your own. I don't remember it being automatically dispensed, but that is a while ago. I really don't like those washers except for heavy duty clothes.

If you are in a suite again, here's what I would do, things you want to have 'washed' but are concerned about hot water, send out for dry cleaning.

Those personals, I do in my suite.

We ahve sailed on HAL ships many times but i have never used the laundry rooms. We stay in suites, so if i need something washed, i generally let them do it. However, we are going on a 35 day cruise and there are a few things i would like to wash in cold water myself. I have read that the washing machine dispenses the luandry soap. Does anyone know if you have to use their soap, or can you use your own- like adding a woolite soap? Thanks in advance. oh, we are on the MAasdam.

I think you will found you have to use their soap because EPA requires it.

Ray

We always book Deluxe suites.

On the Maasdam they do have washers where you can select the water type you want -- and I do take along my own packets of liquid laundry soap -- and there has never been a problem with that. Most of the liquid laundry soaps that are out on the market are good for anywhere.

I do not send out items to be dry cleaned that specifically say to wash in cold water.

I do a lot of personal items in the sink -- ahve my own soap -- and hang on the line.

Should you choose to use the ship's liquid soap -- there is a button on the machine that you press to dispense it.

It is $2 for the washer and $1 for the dryer if you use it. Take your own dryer sheets -- there isn't anything like that for the dryers.

Thanks for all your great answers. Actaully it is more the kids clothes i wanted to wash more 'delicately' than hot water and harsh soap. My housekeeper is so great with the kids clothes and they always look like new for a long time. I do dry clean all of ALec's polo shirts so they stay colorful, but some of Savannah's little shirts that are not expensive, I don't want faded by thier washing yet not really worth dry cleaning. Looks like i have a choice to use their soap or not, if i use a liquid detergent? If anyone has used the ships detergent and it was fine, then i will probably do that. Mainly if i use cold water and a delicate cycle and turn the clothes inside out, they should be fine, unless the soap is really harsh.

The ships seem to do a great job on all the uniforms the staff wears, so i can only imagine they know how to dry clean properly.

When I used the laundry, I believe you either had to buy soap or bring your own. I don't remember it being automatically dispensed, but that is a while ago.

Must be a long time ago! There was a time when HAL sold individual packets of Tide in the gift shop, so you had a choice of their free soap, or Tide. But that went the way of the dodo ages ago.

Now, HAL wants you to use their soap, as it's environmentally friendly.

IIRC, you press the button to dispense the soap, and you can hold it for as long as you want, or press more than once, to get more soap. I believe you can skip that step, but won't swear to it, as I use the HAL soap.

Archived