A never to be repeated cruise

BosoxI

I probably haven't been on as many cruises or to as many ports as I'd need to to be able to say that I'd never go somewhere again, but I can't say that I'm dying to go back to Caracas, Venezuela. It was neat and different and somewhat sentimental as my grandparents had lived there for many, many years a long time ago...but now that I've been there I don't need to go back. It takes a long time to get from the port to the city and I don't remember there being a ton to do or see.

As for Jamaica...I certainly don't have any particular affinity for it, but I enjoyed my time there; and while I'm not going to make an effort to get back there, if I happened to be on a cruise that stopped there, I think I'd at least get off the ship. (Note that I've only been to Ocho Rios...perhaps Montego Bay or another port is different?)

Believe it or not, Egypt is a place we would never want to visit again. Certainly the pyramids are a “must see” from an historical standpoint but the air quality in Egypt and Cairo made it hell on anyone with any kind of respiratory weakness or sensitivity (e.g. to smoke) confining several people in misery to the air conditioned tour bus, despite being in walking distance of a pyramid.

I agree that some places are less inviting – Acalpulco made a nice stay-on-the-ship port for us after having been there for a pre-cruise stay with nothing but bars on the strip and warnings to not venture off the main road. Ochos Rios was similarly uninviting due to the vendors, however last time we were there on a Sunday it wasn’t bad. Cartagena also was uninviting due to vendors and crime, and won’t be repeated onshore by us.

Because we love snorkeling we enjoy the Caribbean, and visits to Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas are all great for us.

I loved Alaska and would go back anytime, now Jamica, I would stay on the ship and not get off, but I would not let Jamica stop me from taking a particular cruise, I would just stay on board and lay by the pool or in the sanctuary ;)

Totally agree!

I suppose that a little research before one goes on a cruise can make all the difference. The Caribbean is not only beaches and snorkeling. The western caribbean has ports with marvelous Mayan ruins -E.g. Lamanai in Belize and the archaeology park in Guatemala. Grand Cayman is home to one of our favorite artists and the gem of a museum is right on the Harbor.

The islands in the Eastern Caribbean each have a different history that shaped how they are now. Check out the forts and fortresses and relive the battles between the French, the British and the Spanish... Brimstone hill in St. Kitts, and the forts in Puerto Rico for example.

See hot and cold running waterfalls in Domenica and walk in the Volcano in St. Lucia (two of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth). See the unbelievably wild Atlantic coast of Barbados and the sophisticated city that is Bridgetown. The list just goes on. See something unique first and then go to the beach.

We live in South Florida and have taken many Caribbean cruises..we're not going someplace cold in the winter. Every island is different and all are worth exploring for more than one day.

We'd go back to Alaska in a heartbeat but our warm weather trips have to be to places we have not been (or Paris, again). Alaska, again, will have to wait a few years but it is on the list.

I cannot think of a cruise that I would not do again. Our best cruises have been those that had some new ports and some ports that needed another day.

Would probably do any again but my least favourite is Jamaica, Playa del carmen, mexico. Also a bit fed up of Key West, used to love the place years ago but it seems really downmarket now. Nearly everywhere seems the same old....did like Belize. Favourites are St. Kitts and St. Lucia

If you didn't enjoy it, I would be curious as to specifics of why you didn't enjoy it?

Mike

I too would like to know why you didn't like Alaska, did you get bored of the ship or the scenery - what excursions did you take? Help us understand your background why you didn't like it? Where are you from are you from the mtns and have seen waterfalls, snow, etc and are just bored - not being mean, just trying to help us understand :)

Uhhh, where did I say I didn't enjoy it?

Cruising is about the ship experience. A few hours in a port just breaks up the day a little.

If you really want to see Alaska (or anywhere else), you need to travel there with a rental car, hiking boots, etc. etc..

If you're saying cruisers aren't travelers, I agree 100%

For me it would be Hawaii. It was a fantastic cruise, I met people I have cruised with again. Loved the sea days and didn't mind the bad weather--cold (50-60F) and very windy on the way back.

Truly I am glad I did it, but.... for the money, since I live on the East Coast, I much prefer to do Europe. I love history, art, and architecture along with scenery. Now for a mid-winter escape, the Caribbean won me over. Give me sand, palm trees, and balmy breezes. Sure there are ports that are not the greatest, but I always have the ship.

I could do without ever stopping in Labadee, Haiti. :o

Funny you should say Labadee...we loved it when we cruised on RCCL. It has been sometime since we have been there but to us it is one of our favorite private island stops. I never want to go back to Freeport in the Bahamas...Because of an impending storm( never did materialize) we weren't able to visit the planned islands.. St Thomas or St. Martin .... so this is one of the islands Carnival took us. The other one was Turks and Caicos wed id enjoy our time there!!!!

I could do without ever stopping in Labadee, Haiti. :o

Funny you should say Labadee...we loved it when we cruised on RCCL. It has been sometime since we have been there but to us it is one of our favorite private island stops. I never want to go back to Freeport in the Bahamas...Because of an impending storm( never did materialize) we weren't able to visit the planned islands.. St Thomas or St. Martin .... so this is one of the islands Carnival took us. The other one was Turks and Caicos wed id enjoy our time there!!!!

Put me on a cruiseship, get me out on the sea, the open, open sea......I do need to see some land on my horizon, but I don't need to stop, give me at least one week.......I don't care where we go.......Make sure it's Princess or even the Carnival Splendor or Pride and the smile on my face will NEVER go away!

Although Jamaica has some of the best colors of water, I'm tired of being asked if I want to by drugs, I'm done with that..haven't been back since 1998. Also Freeport, what a useless stop!!

Steve

We went once to Hawaii and once to Alaska. If we went again to either it would be because the ship was the draw. We enjoyed going once but not enough to repeat. Prefer warm weather ports so that is why Alaska is not high on our repeat list. Hawaii we feel you really need more than one port day to enjoy.

We keep trying to book a Panama canal cruise, each time we just can't seem to get all that excited about seeing the canal. I guess one day we might but so far other parts of the world are more interesting to us.

We are repeat offenders on Caribbean cruises. We live in Canada, in a landlocked area and sailing the blue waters of the Caribbean is STILL exciting to me. I admit there are some ports that I've done to death, but I like the cruising experience so much that it really doesn't matter to me.

There are definitely lots of other places we'd like to cruise/visit, but it's more a matter of having the money and the time to make those trips happen.

So in the mean time, I consider myself lucky to be able to cruise once or twice a year to the Caribbean again and again, and slip in the odd longer more exotic itineraries when we can.

We keep trying to book a Panama canal cruise, each time we just can't seem to get all that excited about seeing the canal. I guess one day we might but so far other parts of the world are more interesting to us.

I have to admit, I felt the same way about the Panama Canal, and then about 2 years ago, I went on a repositioning cruise from Florida to California, and the Panama Canal turned out to be the highlight of the trip. Going through the locks was fascinating. But then again, we'd been at sea for 3 days straight before we got to the canal, and maybe just seeing land again colored my judgement ;)

This is how we felt about Alaska, until this year when we just decided it was time to just do it. neither one of us have any regrets....we really enjoyed all we did and saw.... I will say that we had wonderful weather for going the middle of May, but I'm gald we went then, because the snow that was still on the mountainsmade for some great photos. Not sure if I want to go again next year but we will be back. We do like cruising the Caribbean and someday want to do the Panama Canal. Who knows that could be next years cruise.

Having been to Alaska 15 times and about to go for the 17th & 18th time, I think I am just about Alaska'ed out

Too funny putterdude. 18 times and you THINK you are JUST ABOUT Alaska'ed out. I reckon you've probably got another few Alaska cruises in you yet ;)

I have been twice to Alaska and would glady go a few more times.... A shame it can be up to a 36 hour trip including layovers from Australia to Anchorage :mad:

Wasn't keen on Mexican Riviera, the only reason I would go there again would be to play golf in each port.

Living in Australia (and hating spending money on airfares :mad:) we have done cruises to/from New Zealand 4 times and same for the South Pacific. Each time we go to NZ we find something different to do in each port and occasionally stay onboard and enjoy having the ship virtually to ourselves. Like some other posters, as long as the ship is good I don't mind too much where it's going.

Archived