How early to arrive @ Athens airport for flt.?

SissyG

We will be staying in Athens for a few days after our cruise and flying home out of the Athens airport. I remember reading a post saying you need to arrive at the airport 3 hours before flight departure. I would love to hear from someone who actually has experience flying out of this airport and can verify this or give me accurate information. Sissy

Two hours is sufficient for this airport. If you arrive too early you can't even check in.

Keith

Would 1 to 1.5 hours be sufficient? (I am star alliance gold and can check in at elite lines.)

Would 1 to 1.5 hours be sufficient? (I am star alliance gold and can check in at elite lines.)

Because of EU regulations, I believe that you are treated differently than US passengers. As most people posting are from the US I would suggest contacting someone who is familiar with the EU regs. (Isn't your flight treated like a domestic flight?)

International to the US you need a full two hours.

Because of EU regulations, I believe that you are treated differently than US passengers. As most people posting are from the US I would suggest contacting someone who is familiar with the EU regs. (Isn't your flight treated like a domestic flight?)

I believe so. I'll be flying ATH-MUC-GVA. Since ATH to MUC is within EU, MUC to GVA is within Schengen, there should be no (or light) passport control. The only queues should be check-in and security/x-ray. I have never been to Athens (or Greece) before, and so I don't know how orderly or chaotic an airport ATH is.

I believe so. I'll be flying ATH-MUC-GVA. Since ATH to MUC is within EU, MUC to GVA is within Schengen, there should be no (or light) passport control. The only queues should be check-in and security/x-ray. I have never been to Athens (or Greece) before, and so I don't know how orderly or chaotic an airport ATH is.

It can be a mess. Even as a *A gold, you should be there two hours in advance, IME.

Athens is a fairly new airport which opened when the Olympics was held there. As I mentioned, best bet is to call your airline.

Keith

Archived