Comedy Club

soupercb

Last December when we were on the Glory, they were doing a trial of a "comedy club" which was in the big lounge. Have they instituted this on all of the ships yet? It was a great alternative to the other shows or in addition to the main show and we are hoping it is on the Splendor this November.

Thanks!

Last December when we were on the Glory, they were doing a trial of a "comedy club" which was in the big lounge. Have they instituted this on all of the ships yet? It was a great alternative to the other shows or in addition to the main show and we are hoping it is on the Splendor this November.

Thanks!

I asked a friend of mine at Carnival about the comedy clubs about a month ago and this was his reply:

Hey Mach,

We’ve heard that the clubs have been well received and it’s nice to get confirmation from you. Right now we have clubs on the Dream, Glory, Pride, and Sensation. The latter two were added June 6 and are in the setup/testing phase. We’re still unsure if it is something that every ship will receive though and we are considering class and itinerary to be determining factors. The Liberty could see a club at some point in the future as we are comfortable with the class of vessel and itinerary and know how it would work there. If I get a green light, I’ll let you know.

Chris

A comedian for Carnival named Kim said it was coming on the Liberty shortly.

The comedy club manager on the Glory in May said it would be going fleetwide.

In order words maybe/maybe not.

However we did think it was an awesome addition to our cruise.

I was on Pride for her June 6th sailing when they were just starting this program format. Holding it in the Butterflies lounge was a good idea, I thought. And, also I liked the idea that there were Comedy Club programs for the general audience as well as adult programs. One of the adult programs, with a female "comedian", was pretty raunchy. I don't mind adult humor, but I thought her act was a bit over the top. Others did too inasmuch as several in the audience walked out.

I was on Pride for her June 6th sailing when they were just starting this program format. Holding it in the Butterflies lounge was a good idea, I thought. And, also I liked the idea that there were Comedy Club programs for the general audience as well as adult programs.
I agree - I really liked the Butterflies Lounge; it felt like a comedy club. I would recommend arriving early, though - both times we visited it was packed.

One of the adult programs, with a female "comedian", was pretty raunchy. I don't mind adult humor, but I thought her act was a bit over the top. Others did too inasmuch as several in the audience walked out.

Seriously, I don't "get" raunchy humor. On my last cruise I simply didn't go to the "adult" humor show, based on some of the rubbish in the past. There isn't anything adult about it, more adolescent than anything.

Even in the early "family" show, such verboten subjects like racist stereotypes have reared its ugly head. Sexually degrading women in the audience? How is that funny?

One New Yorker stand up " comedian" proclaimed his pride in his ignorance of the South...making references to incest. If one finds that funny, then get out and travel more !

Once I asked a Carnival comedian why the foul language and vulgar topics and he gave me the impression that it sells to drunks.

We really enjoyed the comedy club on Pride. We had four different comedians during our 7 day cruise. We saw 3 of them and 2 of the 3 were very entertaining. Our DD said the fourth was not so good.

They had a family friendly show early in the evening, and adult show later.

we generally made it to the 11:45 show.

Enjoy!

We're sailing on the Pride this Sunday and I'm really excited for this. My husband and I will probably enjoy this much more than a musical show.

Exactly! It's a great alternative to those shows. All of us aged 13 to 60 loved the comedy shows and would really love to see Carnival make them fleetwide.

An excerpt from John Heald's Blog tonight.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES PUNCHES UP THE FUN WITH

FLEETWIDE COMEDY CLUBS

New Carnival Punchliner Comedy Clubs to Offer Diverse Array of Comedians,

Five Shows on Multiple Nights Each Voyage

MIAMI (July 19, 2010) – Carnival Cruise Lines is adding more laughs and upping the fun quotient at sea with the introduction of Carnival Punchliner Comedy Clubs — dedicated comedy lounges rolling out fleetwide on all 22 “Fun Ships” by the end of the year. Building on the tremendous success of its first comedy club, which debuted on the new Carnival Dream last fall, Punchliner Comedy Clubs will feature a wide variety of side-splitting comics.

Located in the ship’s aft lounge, each Punchliner Comedy Club will offer guests loads of laughs with five 35-minute shows on multiple nights during each voyage, with at least two comedians performing each night. The two early-evening shows offer fun for the whole family while the later performances will feature adult-oriented comedy.

Carnival Punchliner Comedy Clubs will feature hilarious, laugh-out-loud performances from established comedians as well as rising stars, with approximately 10 shows per voyage offered on short cruise itineraries and approximately 20 shows per cruise on longer length departures.

“Laughter is the most public, most infectious expression of fun, so we’re excited to provide our guests with an expanded offering in comedy with our new Punchliner Comedy Clubs,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO. “Given that laughter has been shown to have a positive effect on mood, stress reduction and overall happiness, our new clubs and performance line-up will only further enhance the spirited fun of a Carnival vacation.”

While comedy shows have always been part of Carnival’s diverse entertainment lineup, the concept was taken to another level aboard the Carnival Dream, which offered the line’s first dedicated comedy club last fall. Comedy clubs are currently also featured on Carnival Glory, Carnival Pride and Carnival Sensation — with the concept being incorporated into the remainder of the fleet over the next several months. When Carnival Magic enters service in May 2011, a Punchliner Comedy Club will also be featured on the line’s newest “Fun Ship.”

All of Carnival’s aft show lounges will be converted to comedy clubs with a special stage and branded glassware, menus, employee uniforms and other items featuring the Punchliner Comedy Club logo. Guests can learn about the performer lineups and schedules in the ship’s Fun Times newsletter.

We will be on the Sensation in September..... I'm so excited about the comedy club!!! We have enjoyed the comedy shows on both of our previous cruises!!! Can't have to have a comedy option every day!!:D

just so you're aware, assuming they roll out the comedy club as it is on the Dream, there were four nights with comedy on our 7 night cruise. The other two nights were karaoke.

They have two comedians who alternate acts for two nights (they each perform each night, 2 or 3 times = 5 shows total each night). Then one night karaoke. Then two different comedians doing the two night rotation.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! I thought these comedians were better than the ones we've seen before on the big Carnival stage.

I am really excited about the comedy club on Glory and now fleetwide?? whoooo that is great

Honestly this is something I would really enjoy as opposed to rock walls, skating, or grass lawns LOL

I think it is a very smart move for Carnival

I usually go to all the shows , every time...but I plan to fit in the comedy, even if it is just the late night show, that is fine

I also have to admit there are some juggler/hypnotist acts I would much rather skip and just hear jokes

Great move Carnival !!

I think it is going fleetwide, not %100. I know it is being put on the Freedom this month, so I am assuming that most ships are getting it.

Jeffy294, where did you get this information about it being put on the Freedom this month? Hope you're right since we'll be on the Freedom on 8/28/10!

Seriously, I don't "get" raunchy humor. On my last cruise I simply didn't go to the "adult" humor show, based on some of the rubbish in the past. There isn't anything adult about it, more adolescent than anything.

Even in the early "family" show, such verboten subjects like racist stereotypes have reared its ugly head. Sexually degrading women in the audience? How is that funny?

One New Yorker stand up " comedian" proclaimed his pride in his ignorance of the South...making references to incest. If one finds that funny, then get out and travel more !

Once I asked a Carnival comedian why the foul language and vulgar topics and he gave me the impression that it sells to drunks.

The raunch humor can be too much for me too..too close to bad things that do happen; instead of owning and facing the horror of some things.. society spends twice the time on jokes instead; too painful for me..just the Carol Burton level please..ah well..thanks for your opinion as a fun person and stating not needing this adult humor for fun..adult stuff was bad on my ship...hope family stuff is fun...good thoughts Thoth..agreed...Sarah

The raunch humor can be too much for me too..too close to bad things that do happen; instead of owning and facing the horror of some things.. society spends twice the time on jokes instead; too painful for me..just the Carol Burton level please..ah well..thanks for your opinion as a fun person and stating not needing this adult humor for fun..adult stuff was bad on my ship...hope family stuff is fun...good thoughts Thoth..agreed...Sarah

Thanks for the kind response there Sarah. We agree on many things.

There has been some nasty subjects discussed by comedians on-board these ships.

I'm reluctant to bring up this subject due to being flamed in the past. Some accused me of being a prude for questioning the content of "R" rated comedy and I got told off "don't go". Point taken, but none answered the question..."what IS funny about obscene or cruel humor"?

Wayne

Archived