Opinions please....should I tip before or after I make the request?

marknrose123

We have a number of wine drinkers in our party going on a 14 day Hawaiian cruise in October and I wanted to make sure that we had 4 clean wine glasses in the room each day.

Is it reasonable to make this request to the room steward and if so, should I tip him when I make the request or wait till the last day? If so, what would be a reasonable amount tp tip?

Thanks in advance :)

Some room stewards will supply you with wine glasses, others will tell you to call room service. You can try the room steward, but if they aren't willing, just pick up the phone and call room service (or when you call for a room service order, just ask them to supply them with the order). ;)

We always give our steward a tip at the beginning ( first day) of the cruise - when we ask for robes, extra pillows, wine glasses every day, and a fresh water bottle whenever the one in the cabin is low. We always get exceptional service and always tip again near the end of the cruise. Our cabin steward is very important to cruise happiness.

We always give our steward a tip at the beginning ( first day) of the cruise - when we ask for robes, extra pillows, wine glasses every day, and a fresh water bottle whenever the one in the cabin is low. We always get exceptional service and always tip again near the end of the cruise. Our cabin steward is very important to cruise happiness.

Im with Sunsailor - we tip when we ask for the extras on the first day and things go well for the rest of the trip!

You should not need to tip in advance for such things...that's part of your attendant's job. If you're happy with the service and wish to tip additionally, at the end of the cruise is the time to do it.

I totally agree!!! I don't understand those who feel it necessary to pre-tip. Providing these services are part of their job.

I totally agree!!! I don't understand those who feel it necessary to pre-tip. Providing these services are part of their job.

True but there is doing your job - and then going over the top (which you know in most cases not all, isnt done) if youve already gotten some cash up front - its just human nature. Last cruise our cabin attendant was telling us he had over 20 cabins to deal with every day - after I tipped him we surprisingly became the first cabin he dealt with each and every day, go figure!

True but there is doing your job - and then going over the top (which you know in most cases not all, isnt done) if youve already gotten some cash up front - its just human nature. Last cruise our cabin attendant was telling us he had over 20 cabins to deal with every day - after I tipped him we surprisingly became the first cabin he dealt with each and every day, go figure!

Our cabin is first one done each day and that's w/o pre-tipping. I just inform our steward when we meet him/her that we go to the gym at 7:00 every day and then to buffet for breakfast. They are grateful for that info so they know where they can get an early start.

Our cabin is first one done each day and that's w/o pre-tipping. I just inform our steward when we meet him/her that we go to the gym at 7:00 every day and then to buffet for breakfast. They are grateful for that info so they know where they can get an early start.

Agreed - being early risers ourselves, I would imagine once the cabin stewards know your routine they try to get an early jump on things so that could be a factor. I was really surprised to hear how many cabins they were responsible for -

Personally, I'd split it..

Wine glasses every day is not part of the normal room stock and setup procedure for a steward, especially if they have to come from the food services unit as opposed to housekeeping storage, which may take him or her more time.

With that in mind, I would tip about an extra $10 per 7 days at the beginning of the trip and a similar amount at the end if they followed through.

My rule of thumb for 'at the time' tips is when I ask someone to divert from their normal routine...

I have learned that if you are going to tip anyone extra, it pays to do it early in the cruise. Watch how good of service you get after that :).

I've never pre-tipped Stewart on a single cruise (whether it be on Princess or another line) and I have yet to ever be disappointed with the service they've provided. Stewart(s) has/have no idea that they're very likely to get an envelope with extra tips above and beyond the auto-tip from me at the end of the cruise, yet they've always provided exceptional service. To each their own, I personally don't bribe for exceptional service. I prefer to reward for that same service so everyone is likely to receive it whether they tip extra or not.

You would be surprised at how much more attentive to detail you get with that upfront tip - agree normal service is usually excellant but that small pre-tip when you ask for the extras (pillows, towels etc), and the smiles and service all get kicked up a notch.

You would be surprised at how much more attentive to detail you get with that upfront tip - agree normal service is usually excellant but that small pre-tip when you ask for the extras (pillows, towels etc), and the smiles and service all get kicked up a notch.

Sorry, but the service that we've received from Stewart on all of our past cruises with Princess couldn't have been improved by providing an upfront bribe. Unless they want to start brushing my teeth and picking out my clothes for me, they're already doing everything exceptionally well and doing it with a smile on their faces. I've had a few issues with the people at the customer services desk over the years, but never with Stewart.

Sorry, but the service that we've received from Stewart on all of our past cruises with Princess couldn't have been improved by providing an upfront bribe. Unless they want to start brushing my teeth and picking out my clothes for me, they're already doing everything exceptionally well and doing it with a smile on their faces. I've had a few issues with the people at the customer services desk over the years, but never with Stewart.

I agree with you, Coracii. Our "Stewarts" have been wonderful - some even asking us if we have any specific requests or needs upon our initial meeting. I have asked (on occasion) for extra hangers which have been supplied very quickly. And we have requested an "egg-crate" for the bed on Princess which was provided before bedtime that evening. We cruise almost exclusively on Princess and HAL and this in one of the main reasons why we continue to do so - the exceptional service that we receive from both cruise lines - with no upfront bribe! :D

I would be interested in knowing just what other "wonderful & unique" services have been received by those passengers who tip up front. Our cabin is always cleaned and done early as we are early risers & out of the cabin by 7:30AM. Our ice bucket is always full; drinks in the 'fridge replaced as they are used; the laundry is picked up & returned as promised; balcony is clean & neat; glass & mirrors clean & shiny; carpet vacuumed; bathroom spotless- ---just curious as to what else one feels is gained by tipping upfront? :confused:

Extra towels, pillows, etc are still delivered with a smile even without the pre-tip. Service is always kicked up the mexiumum...there is no room for more attention to detail than what we already get.

Extra towels, pillows, etc are still delivered with a smile even without the pre-tip. Service is always kicked up the mexiumum...there is no room for more attention to detail than what we already get.

Maybe in a perfect world!

Maybe in a perfect world!

Well, I'm getting close to my 10th sailing with Princess and exceptional service from Stewart without ever giving a bribe in advance has been my experience on each of the first 9 sailings. So, I guess I've experienced either a remarkable series of conincidences in quality service or, just maybe, this is the norm on Princess.

Well, I'm getting close to my 10th sailing with Princess and exceptional service from Stewart without ever giving a bribe in advance has been my experience on each of the first 9 sailings. So, I guess I've experienced either a remarkable series of conincidences in quality service or, just maybe, this is the norm on Princess.

Your Steward has been named Stewart for all 9 sailings - now THAT's a coincidance! he-he

Your Steward has been named Stewart for all 9 sailings - now THAT's a coincidance! he-he

You should see the hoops we have to jump through to get that request fulfilled for every cruise...

Archived