Need hotel in Rome and tour to Tivoli

RescueDontBuy

We are arriving in Rome 3 days before our cruise next May. We have been to Rome before albeit 20 years ago when we were youngsters... We now have a bit more funds to get a decent hotel that is in a good location to do some city touring (I didnt properly tour the Coleseum when I was there last) and then we want to go to Tivoli to tour the key sites. Can someone recomend some good hotels to look into in Rome and a tour company who could take us to Tivoli for a day tour or should we take the bus ourselves and taxis in Tivoli? Thanks.

If you don't mind spending the money, a car service would surely be the easiest way to get to Tivoli and back, but it won't come inexpensively.

If you want to try public transit, the most direct way to get to Tivoli is to take the metro line B toward Rebibbia and get off at the next to the last stop, Ponte Mammolo. This is where the COTRAL buses to Tivoli start their routes.

Rome metro map: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

COTRAL info: http://www.cotralspa.it/ENG/scarica_orari_new.asp

There are also tourist buses that go from Rome (usually near Termini station) to Tivoli.

I second the recommendation for the Albergo del Senato. Other, slightly less expensive hotels in the same area are Albergo Cesari, and Albergo Santa Chiara (I'd rank them in that order).

As to Tivoli -- if you want to see both Tivoli and Hadrian's villa, I think doing a bus tour is the easiest way, if not the most ideal. I looked into taking the COTRAL bus, but the two estates are not close and the bus didn't run by them both. The tour was a good enough solution. Many agencies in Rome offer them. If you need a suggestion specifically, I can find the one I used.

We are at the Hotel National (actually spelled with a "z" instead of a "t"), and we couldn't be happier! The location is excellent - a few minutes from everything in all directions - Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc. It's right next to the Parliament building, so there's no traffic allowed in the Piazza and it is very quiet. We got a great price by booking online, and we even got an upgraded room for free at checkin with a contemporary bathroom and central airconditioning with thermostat control in our room.

Many on these boards rave about the Albergo del Senato. Yes, it's right across from the Pantheon, and if you are lucky enough to get one of the front facing rooms, you have an awesome view of the Pantheon from your window. But from what we hear, it's older on the inside and there seems to be a huge trouble with the air conditioning, which is central but you are not able to control your own room temperature. Seems like mangement likes to keep the rooms hotter. I'd say skip the Senato, save the money and spend the extra on your cruise! I don't know why the Senato always seems to come up as a recommendation here so often, there certainly do seem to be some cheerleaders for it, but people we have met have all complained about the room temperature. When it's 90 to 95 degrees in the summer, the last thing you want is a warm room.

Albergo Santa Chiara, as mentioned, is right behind the Pantheon. The Albergo Abruzzi is right across from the Senato as well.

Hotel Cesari seems like a nice small hotel, on a busy pedestrian road with some fun outdoor restaurants.

We worried a lot about location when we were trying to choose a hotel. So so glad we went with the Nationale. The walk to the Pantheon is probably about 3-4 minutes, so everything is really close, even though when you look at the map it might not seem that way.

Many on these boards rave about the Albergo del Senato. Yes, it's right across from the Pantheon, and if you are lucky enough to get one of the front facing rooms, you have an awesome view of the Pantheon from your window. But from what we hear, it's older on the inside and there seems to be a huge trouble with the air conditioning, which is central but you are not able to control your own room temperature. Seems like mangement likes to keep the rooms hotter. I'd say skip the Senato, save the money and spend the extra on your cruise! I don't know why the Senato always seems to come up as a recommendation here so often, there certainly do seem to be some cheerleaders for it, but people we have met have all complained about the room temperature. When it's 90 to 95 degrees in the summer, the last thing you want is a warm room.

The del Senato, to be sure, isn't the world's best hotel. (They do have one of the world's best locations, though....;). Right up there with the Oberoi Mena House across from the Pyramids in my book.)

I can't address the air conditioning issue personally, as I haven't been to Rome in the summer since 1978. :eek: :D However, from reading hundreds of hotel reviews, it's pretty clear that many hotels in Rome (and for that matter in Europe) keep their A/C higher than Americans are used to. Electricity is very, very much more expensive than we have here.

It's not true that there are not individual controls in each room. That said, all electricity in the room is shut off every day when you leave the room and remove your card key from the slot by the door. Again, this is standard practice in many European hotels. So when you come back at the end of the day, don't expect your room to be chilly. It won't be.

If you want an American-style hotel with 50 TV channels, frigid A/C, cookie-cutter rooms, "heavenly beds" and so on, then look elsewhere. But if you want to experience one of the best European-style hotels I've stayed in at Rome (and at last count I think I've stayed in 7), without going to a truly ridiculously-priced 5-star, then I will still recommend the del Senato.

Note: I haven't stayed at the Nationale, and I wouldn't bash it without having personal experience..... :rolleyes:

The del Senato, to be sure, isn't the world's best hotel. (They do have one of the world's best locations, though....;). Right up there with the Oberoi Mena House across from the Pyramids in my book.)

I can't address the air conditioning issue personally, as I haven't been to Rome in the summer since 1978. :eek: :D However, from reading hundreds of hotel reviews, it's pretty clear that many hotels in Rome (and for that matter in Europe) keep their A/C higher than Americans are used to. Electricity is very, very much more expensive than we have here.

It's not true that there are not individual controls in each room. That said, all electricity in the room is shut off every day when you leave the room and remove your card key from the slot by the door. Again, this is standard practice in many European hotels. So when you come back at the end of the day, don't expect your room to be chilly. It won't be.

If you want an American-style hotel with 50 TV channels, frigid A/C, cookie-cutter rooms, "heavenly beds" and so on, then look elsewhere. But if you want to experience one of the best European-style hotels I've stayed in at Rome (and at last count I think I've stayed in 7), without going to a truly ridiculously-priced 5-star, then I will still recommend the del Senato.

Note: I haven't stayed at the Nationale, and I wouldn't bash it without having personal experience..... :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing the Senato. I'm merely relaying what I have heard from our tablemates at dinner who were less than happy with their selection of hotel. I don't know what the weather was like in 1978, but I can assure you in July 2010 it is blistering hot. Our dinner tablemates complained that they could not control the temperature. There may be a thermostat that tells you the temperature, but they specifically said they could not make the room cooler. After complaining twice, they were moved to another room which was 2 degrees cooler.

We didn't want to tell them that our room at the Nationale was actually too COLD, and that we actually had to turn the temperature up! It is true that the room key needs to be put into the slot to make all the electricity work. I'm not sure if it means your central air conditioning is shut off because each time we have come back to the room literally drenched in sweat, the room is cool as a cucumber.

We are in Europe, so we of course would like to experience European culture. We're not looking for gigantic rooms with king size Heavenly beds. But frigid AC? During a sweltering summer? Bring it on. If one enjoys being miserable and sleeping in a room that is kept at 80 degrees, then that's their own prerogative. That is one part of the "When in Rome..." saying that I don't need to expeience. All I'm saying is that there are other hotels in Rome besides the Senato. Again, we are thrilled with our choice. At over 35% discount to the Senato, the Nationale is a great value. There is a reason why the Nationale is in Rick Steve's tour guide while the Del Senato is not. The Santa Chiara is however listed by him.

Have stayed at the Del Senato 3 times, been to Rome 6 times. Never had temperature problems. My guess is the reason it is so popular is the location. The staff is outstanding.. The bar on the top of the hotel has the best views of Rome, especially at night. I'm sure this is not the BEST in Rome, if I could stay at the Hassler, that might be the best. But I would stay at the Del Senato anyday:D:D

I'm not bashing the Senato. I'm merely relaying what I have heard from our tablemates at dinner who were less than happy with their selection of hotel. I don't know what the weather was like in 1978, but I can assure you in July 2010 it is blistering hot. Our dinner tablemates complained that they could not control the temperature. There may be a thermostat that tells you the temperature, but they specifically said they could not make the room cooler. After complaining twice, they were moved to another room which was 2 degrees cooler.

We didn't want to tell them that our room at the Nationale was actually too COLD, and that we actually had to turn the temperature up! It is true that the room key needs to be put into the slot to make all the electricity work. I'm not sure if it means your central air conditioning is shut off because each time we have come back to the room literally drenched in sweat, the room is cool as a cucumber.

We are in Europe, so we of course would like to experience European culture. We're not looking for gigantic rooms with king size Heavenly beds. But frigid AC? During a sweltering summer? Bring it on. If one enjoys being miserable and sleeping in a room that is kept at 80 degrees, then that's their own prerogative. That is one part of the "When in Rome..." saying that I don't need to expeience. All I'm saying is that there are other hotels in Rome besides the Senato. Again, we are thrilled with our choice. At over 35% discount to the Senato, the Nationale is a great value. There is a reason why the Nationale is in Rick Steve's tour guide while the Del Senato is not. The Santa Chiara is however listed by him.

All I am saying is that Cruise Critic has long had a policy that you can't recommend a tour or a guide unless you've actually used them. I think the same should be true for hotels.

The opinion of one couple is not, in my mind, the best of evidence for or against a particular hotel. However, if you look at websites like Tripadvisor, the del Senato is perpetually in the top 10. It also gets very high ratings on venere.com. Clearly more people love the place than are dissatisfied with it.

My parents have stayed at the Nationale, and their comment was that it was "fine." My mother stayed at the del Senato with me a few years ago and still raves about it......

P.S. I keep my A/C at 80 degrees anyway. If I didn't, my electric bill here in the sweltering south would preclude my taking any vacation at all. :o

To the OP: Sorry for the digression! Back to more hotel recommendations..........

Wow, thanks to everyone for excellent and detailed replied! I will definintely look into the hotels that have been mentioned, and I never thought to think about the A/c which is really important to my husband. Also, it looks like the bus tour option from Rome might work best for us for highlights of Tivoli. Thanks again and stay safe on your next cruise......:D

Check out the Albergo del Senato in Rome, you can't get more centrally located and it's a beautiful hotel: http://www.albergodelsenato.it/

I definitely recommend the Albergo. We stayed there last year and it truly was part of the experience for us. Incredible location!

For any touring, I highly recommend Romeinlimo.com (as well as many others do on this board). They were amazing! We were able to see everything we wanted to see and they planned the best way to do that.

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato last week and loved the hotel and the location. It's a bit pricier that others but we were very pleased!!

Here is a view of the Pantheon out of the window of our room!!

DSC03384.jpg.7cb2be0f9f8d00bcd40118213ef065c5.jpg

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato last week and loved the hotel and the location. It's a bit pricier that others but we were very pleased!!

Here is a view of the Pantheon out of the window of our room!!

Did you notice any problems with the A/C?

Did you notice any problems with the A/C?

No, and it was a VERY hot day in Rome ... over 100 degrees. We loved opening the big window and watching all of the activity on the piazza. So, even after allowing that heat in ... I noticed no AC issues once we closed the window. I don't think we even ever touched the AC controls. Actually, I don't know if there were AC controls in the room. That was a lot of words to actually say "no problem!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I could recommend Albergo del Senato because the hotel has so much going for it. A great central location, relatively inexpensive, excellent staff and newly refurbished rooms and nice bathrooms - it's really charming. I didn't notice a problem with the air temperature last month when we visited but the air quality inside the hotel was horrendous. Several in my group had problems breathing at night and you could see dust emitting from the vents when the fans kicked in. There were no screens on the windows and it was too hot to open them at night. I ended up with a sinus infection which required antibiotics - and I've never had a sinus infection in my life before my visit to that hotel. Next time I'll have to search for a hotel that isn't quite so old.

Wish I could recommend Albergo del Senato because the hotel has so much going for it. A great central location, relatively inexpensive, excellent staff and newly refurbished rooms and nice bathrooms - it's really charming. I didn't notice a problem with the air temperature last month when we visited but the air quality inside the hotel was horrendous. Several in my group had problems breathing at night and you could see dust emitting from the vents when the fans kicked in. There were no screens on the windows and it was too hot to open them at night. I ended up with a sinus infection which required antibiotics - and I've never had a sinus infection in my life before my visit to that hotel. Next time I'll have to search for a hotel that isn't quite so old.

Just for the record ... I have allergies and we didn't notice any of this during our two days at the hotel in July. I wonder if maybe they had just cleaned their ductwork (that caused loose particles when the blowers kicked in) before you arrived?

Hi,

Can someone tell me roughly what the daily rate is for the two hotels being mentioned in this thread. The Senato and the National. I go to thier websites but keep getting no availibility when I put in my dates. I am going next May so they may not have rates posted for then yet but even when I just try to get an dea of the rates and put in a date next month I get the same message. I am just trying to get an average of one vs. the other, not trying to nail down my rate just yet.

What I would do is email the hotels directly and ask for their rates. I have found that after doing my research I can normally get better deals by going directly. When we were in Rome last winter, I saved 20-30 euros a night off the travel site rates.

When I last looked at Albergo del Senato, the rates were about 300/night.

Hi,

Can someone tell me roughly what the daily rate is for the two hotels being mentioned in this thread. The Senato and the National. I go to thier websites but keep getting no availibility when I put in my dates. I am going next May so they may not have rates posted for then yet but even when I just try to get an dea of the rates and put in a date next month I get the same message. I am just trying to get an average of one vs. the other, not trying to nail down my rate just yet.

I just looked up both hotels, putting in May 5, 2011 for three nights. Hotel Nationale starts at 168 Euro per night, if you select the "book early" and save 30%. This however is nonrefundable and has to be paid in full. Albergo is about 248 Euro per night.

My husband and I did a land trip to Italy last September. We spent a week in Rome and stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. It is right behind the Pantheon. We were very pleased with this hotel. At the time I booked Santa Chiara was about $300 per night, and Del Senato around $375. You will love Rome!

My husband and I did a land trip to Italy last September. We spent a week in Rome and stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. It is right behind the Pantheon. We were very pleased with this hotel. At the time I booked Santa Chiara was about $300 per night, and Del Senato around $375. You will love Rome!

Thanks...300 per night is about what I was figuring, give or take. The national will be around 250 to 275 so it seems they are in the same ballpark. I'll check this one out.

Archived