Bugs, vermin, critters etc

Mark

My FH is an inspector so I guess he's drilled it into me...you pull the sheets back and look at the mattress before you even unpack! Changing the sheets for bedbugs does nothing...except now they have to work their way through another set of sheets. I would absolutely refuse to sleep in a room with bedbugs...that is ASKING to have an infestation when you get home.

On a cruise we took on the Pride out of Long Beach, we had boarded, but not yet sailed away. The 4 of us were walking around and checking out the decks and came across a VERY large colorful beetle sitting in a corner, not moving. I was too freaked to see if it was alive, but I do believe it was.

bed-bugs-mattress-pictures-1b.jpg

This is a picture of a mattress magnified with a bed bug

bed-bugs-mattress-pictures-1a.jpg

getty_rm_photo_of_infected_bedbug_bites.jpg

This is a picture of the infection bed bugs can cause when bitten. (not my arm but when I was bitten (as I said on my earlier post), I looked like this too) It took me weeks to clear up!

Always check along the seams of your mattress whether it be on a ship, a hotel, etc... That is where they seem to congregate the most I was told afterwards.

what are you looking for exactly when you are checking out the room for bed bugs? i have never encountered bed bugs before, but have heard about the infestation issues in new york. i am shivering already.

Thie first thing we do is to pull back the sheets from the corners of the mattress and boxspring. Look in the piping for brownish/reddish spots. We bring a small flashlight for the inspection. We never put our luggage under the bed since that's a great place for them to hitch a ride home with you. Interesting fact I found out is that the luggage rack was specifically invented by a guy because of the bedbug situation long ago. Use the rack or put your luggage in the closet. Our clothes are kept in our luggage in large plastic zipped bags, since the critters also like wood and can be found inside drawers. I know it sounds like we're going to the extreme, but as anyone who has had them will tell you, you will do anything to avoid getting them again. Once you have the system down, it only takes a few minutes and it's worth it to us.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Thie first thing we do is to pull back the sheets from the corners of the mattress and boxspring. Look in the piping for brownish/reddish spots. We bring a small flashlight for the inspection. We never put our luggage under the bed since that's a great place for them to hitch a ride home with you. Interesting fact I found out is that the luggage rack was specifically invented by a guy because of the bedbug situation long ago. Use the rack or put your luggage in the closet. Our clothes are kept in our luggage in large plastic zipped bags, since the critters also like wood and can be found inside drawers. I know it sounds like we're going to the extreme, but as anyone who has had them will tell you, you will do anything to avoid getting them again. Once you have the system down, it only takes a few minutes and it's worth it to us.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Have you ever tried the spray called 'Permithrin'? I saw it here first on the boards and have yet brought it with me on a cruise. Wonder if it works right away so that we would feel safer with our luggage being stored or our clothing in the drawers? (didn't know about the wood and bed bugs!) I also wonder where they buy Permithrin at...

Have you ever tried the spray called 'Permithrin'? I saw it here first on the boards and have yet brought it with me on a cruise. I also wonder where they buy Permithrin at...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=permethrin+spray&aq=3sx&aqi=g-s1g-sx9&aql=&oq=Permithrin&gs_rfai=CL5KZx4JQTLGwBIPSiAPy14DDBAAAAKoEBU_QmNs6

Ace hardware, Cabelas, REI, Campmor.....

Have you ever tried the spray called 'Permithrin'? I saw it here first on the boards and have yet brought it with me on a cruise. Wonder if it works right away so that we would feel safer with our luggage being stored or our clothing in the drawers? (didn't know about the wood and bed bugs!) I also wonder where they buy Permithrin at...

The exterminator that treated our problem left us with a can of BEDLAM. He said it lasts up to 2 weeks, so I had found it online and now we spray our luggage the night before we pack.

no..never found any type of bug, fortunately.

I also would never bring spray for my bed or luggage...I don't care how 'safe' it is supposed to be, any chemicals with descriptions that include the letters 'cide' is something I TRY to avoid unless necessary. I wouldn't spray just as a precaution....I think that's silly.

For those that feel safer using sprays, here is some info on proper useage: http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug_spray.html

Just curious...is this chemical safe for use in an enclosed environment like a cabin?

I don't know if your asking me, but the BEDLAM says you need to ventilate the area after you spray. We don't bring it with us, we spray it before we leave for the cruise to prevent them from getting in the luggage.

Never any critters on any of our cruises......Carnival, RCI, NCL, American Hawaii, Princess, and Epirotiki. I have a friend at work and her daughter got lice which was probably from hair braiding. And, it was an exotic type of lice that we do not have here in the US. It took some kind of special prescription medication to get rid of them.

Someone else has been on Epirotiki!!! Yeah!! That is my rare and wonderful cruise beginning.

Well way back in 1980..my lttle inside tiny cabin on the Appollon II had those little fruit flies in the bathroom..couldn't get rid of them..didn't bother me too much.

When I hear the facts about lice and bedbugs..how they can so easily happen..well..I have to not read about it and do/hope for the best..but sometimes it just happens and is hard for housekeeping to completely keep up on...at least not as bad as some hot tubs I think:rolleyes:.

Someone else has been on Epirotiki!!! Yeah!! That is my rare and wonderful cruise beginning.

Well way back in 1980..my lttle inside tiny cabin on the Appollon II had those little fruit flies in the bathroom..couldn't get rid of them..didn't bother me too much.

When I hear the facts about lice and bedbugs..how they can so easily happen..well..I have to not read about it and do/hope for the best..but sometimes it just happens and is hard for housekeeping to completely keep up on...at least not as bad as some hot tubs I think:rolleyes:.

I just read more of the posts here..OMG..I had known and "blocked out" how bad it could be..never a problem..but now..I will check the mattress..thanks all..I take back my "hope for the best!!"

I have to say that all the postings so far have been interesting, helpful and yes...very scary!!!

I understand the importance of inspecting the mattress for bedbugs, blood stains and their other evidence...and I guess the best time to do it is when you first get into your cabin right? However, how do you inspect your bed's mattress without trashing the bed and doesn't your cabin steward get a bit miffed when he or she sees what you have done to the bed...I can tell you if I trash the bed to inspect the mattress, there is no way I am going to be able to put the bed back together the way the steward had it looking...any thoughts?

:confused:

I have to say that all the postings so far have been interesting, helpful and yes...very scary!!!

I understand the importance of inspecting the mattress for bedbugs, blood stains and their other evidence...and I guess the best time to do it is when you first get into your cabin right? However, how do you inspect your bed's mattress without trashing the bed and doesn't your cabin steward get a bit miffed when he or she sees what you have done to the bed...I can tell you if I trash the bed to inspect the mattress, there is no way I am going to be able to put the bed back together the way the steward had it looking...any thoughts?

I imagine some people get into that room and mess up the bed immediately anyway.....and I don't mean checking for bugs :o :D

Cabin stewards do not care. They don't touch the bed again until turn-down time anyway....don't worry about it.

After pulling apart the bed, I try to put it back the best I can, although I know it won't look like it did when we first came in. I'll try and explain to the steward why I'm doing it, and if I don't see him, oh well. Maybe he'll just think we were a little "frisky".

We never put any luggage either on the bed or underneath.

Our exterminator told us that unfortunately, since the banning of DDT, there is no residual treatments for personal use right now.. Sprays are good for killing anything on contact, and we bought some Steri-Fab which we bring with us, but again, its not residual. We spray our luggage (which is kept in plastic trash bags in the garage) the night before we leave, and spray the bottom of the closet where we will store our luggage.

I guess you are right...some folks cannot wait to start working out onboard in mattress gymnastics! LOL

It is just too bad that there is no cruise industry data base that you could check and see if your ship and or cabin has had bed bug problems...I mean the prior occupant of your cabin will know...your cabin steward and hotel manager will know...but you as the new occupant of the cabin...well you may be in for a surprise since they are not going to tell you anything!

I guess you are right...some folks cannot wait to start working out onboard in mattress gymnastics! LOL

It is just too bad that there is no cruise industry data base that you could check and see if your ship and or cabin has had bed bug problems...I mean the prior occupant of your cabin will know...your cabin steward and hotel manager will know...but you as the new occupant of the cabin...well you may be in for a surprise since they are not going to tell you anything!

I believe the ship staff would do everything in their power to avoid having bedbugs on the ship. Once I sent a letter to Carnival, they told me that everything is cleaned and sanitized, including the bedding. I had sailed out of New York, which is where many people stay a night or two before their cruise to sightsee, and many times they are picked up from the hotels and brought onboard.

Never any critters on any of our cruises......Carnival, RCI, NCL, American Hawaii, Princess, and Epirotiki. I have a friend at work and her daughter got lice which was probably from hair braiding. And, it was an exotic type of lice that we do not have here in the US. It took some kind of special prescription medication to get rid of them.

OK, that's enough to convince me my daughter is not getting her hair braided on an upcoming cruise.

I am going out of NYC...next year..and that one to Bermuda takes prescedence over a Splendor one...if income dictates..one day at a time in this economy.

I can not tell everyone..OP and all how I hate this but appreciate the heads up.

I do think I had bed bugs once in a beach hotel in Oregon..with these stories I feel quite fortunate...a few bites and they did not come with me.

Far worse than head lice issues..which with 16 in extended family and ranching a number of years only happened to one sibling...

Those recent stories get me too...and the professional salons now that handle that recently in news!!!

No I have not ever seen or experienced any of those things on a cruise ship. ( Yes including the NCL Norway, my first cruise. I know the ship couldnt last in this industry, but still sad she is gone ).

Im sure we had bedbugs at Club Med on Paradise Island Bahamas. That was back in 1979. I do as best a check on the bedding in hotel rooms and cruiseship cabins that I can do, but I really dont stress about it, and so far have not had any "bed bug bites" since 1979.:)

No I have not ever seen or experienced any of those things on a cruise ship. ( Yes including the NCL Norway, my first cruise. I know the ship couldnt last in this industry, but still sad she is gone ).

Im sure we had bedbugs at Club Med on Paradise Island Bahamas. That was back in 1979. I do as best a check on the bedding in hotel rooms and cruiseship cabins that I can do, but I really dont stress about it, and so far have not had any "bed bug bites" since 1979.:)

Yes..this is what I will now do..not store under bed...keep aware of outbreaks...

Take bleach wipes maybe for drawers ...if I had been this family that got it bad in the home..I would of course have more stringent rules..but that check on a couple mattress corners is good and at the least an easy precaution. It's a little like when one chooses to swim...use a hot tub..going to do the big one on the Splendor spa and taking old suit for the heavy chemicals in there (thank God)..but always a risk...sjn.

OK, that's enough to convince me my daughter is not getting her hair braided on an upcoming cruise.

if possibility of lice doesnt convince your DD then here is a charming story... in nassau and lady came up, asked if we wanted our hair braided. i politely said no but several in the group said yes. the lady then proceeds to pull a comb out from between her boobs and rinse it out in the ocean! :eek: (i about fell out of my beach chair trying not to laugh) dont know what parasites they could have ended up with but some of their hair broke off near the root by end of cruise.

Archived