Juneau - Crab restaurants other than Tracy's King Crab Shack

Chewysdad

I have read many reviews about Tracy's King Crab shack. Very good food but seems expensive. I understand that food has to be flown or shipped in so it costs more, but the crab is from right there in Alaska. Does anyone have any recommendations for crab in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan?

I understand that food has to be flown or shipped in so it costs more, but the crab is from right there in Alaska.

Watch "The Dealiest Catch" for some idea of why the stuff is expensive :D

I have read many reviews about Tracy's King Crab shack. Very good food but seems expensive. I understand that food has to be flown or shipped in so it costs more, but the crab is from right there in Alaska. Does anyone have any recommendations for crab in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan?

there's a reason that there are no red lobster or joe's crap shacks in the greatland. you're cheating yourself if you think low cost equals value. but someone has to buy mrs paul's fishsticks. que up denis leary, cause i am.

Unfortunately, where the crab legs come from is still 800 miles away from Juneau by plane. Everything's relative up here.

If you're willing to do Dungeness crab, you have more reasonably priced options. Those crabs are caught right here and it will be fresh killed rather than frozen like king crab legs.

IMO Dungeness is far sweeter and has more flavor..............but then, we catch our own here in Oregon and Washington and eat them FRESH from the sea. That's why we don't chase down these places in Alaska.:)

Lost of folks from "inland America" would appreciate a good crab meal ashore, though, I know.

Enjoy it when you find it; you're on vacation..........eat all you want.

At the top of the tram during the

summer..all the crab legs you can eat

for a price. Sorry don't know the price.

That deal is not on all the time.

Years passed in Alaska when we had no crab to eat due to the cost. Years! We ate what members of the family could hunt or fish and some stables from the (then) not so good grocery stores.

Then when I could finally afford to have a crab dinner, I turned up allergic to the stuff. Who says life is fair?

There is a place about 3/4 of a mile from where the ships dock. It is where the road makes a jog. There is a fish market and some other stores in the same building.

We ate there last July, absolutely the best king crab we have eaten.

Ate crab again in Skagway at teh Skagway Fish Company, not as good, but still tasty.

Seems like the crab was about $50 a person, but then again, how often are you going to get to Alaska for this tasty treat?

FYI, good thing we tried these two places, the crab on the ship was OK, nothing special, and small!

Ate at Tracy's twice in one day, as had another couple we met there! After a week or so on the road, value becomes subjective-a HUGE tasty crab leg, or a single glass of wine at MDR prices? The crab won!

Re:Deadliest Catch-when we were there they had a piece of the box the crab came in-it was caught by the Time Bandit!

If you get to Anchorage, Phyllis's Salmon Bake does all you can eat snow crab legs from 3:00 to 6:00 and again from I think 9:00 to 11:00. When we were there 2 years ago it was $29.95 a person and it was AMAZING.

we were at Tracey's this past thursday... drizzly/rainy & chilly although the tent does provide some cover. we had a big king crab leg, a small bowl of chowder & crab cakes for approx $30.. enough to feed dh & I. Very friendly folks, but we were disappointed in the crab though - it was definitely not fresh.. they reboil it but there was still some ice in the joints. If you can, Go for the local dungeness crab!

(you can get fresh king crab in some of the chinese restaurants around vancouver)

There is a place about 3/4 of a mile from where the ships dock. It is where the road makes a jog. There is a fish market and some other stores in the same building.

We ate there last July, absolutely the best king crab we have eaten.

Sounds like the Hangar on the Wharf? We have had good crab and halibut there. The absolute best king crab legs I have ever had were at the Oceanaire in Minneapolis however...flown in fresh (probably first class, based on the price), and amazingly delicious.

Crab is expensive - Tracy's is one of the cheapest. Try The Twisted Fish in Juneau or The Skagway Fish Company in Skagway.

the twisted fish is great but more money than Skagway. ijust ate in both this month

the twisted fish is great but more money than Skagway. ijust ate in both this month

The Skagway Fish Company has been getting increasingly greedy the past 3-4 years - I don't go there anymore. I prefer halibut to crab in any case.

The Skagway Fish Company has been getting increasingly greedy the past 3-4 years - I don't go there anymore. I prefer halibut to crab in any case.

Meaning they've raised their prices/reduced their portions...? I've got Twisted Fish on my plans for Juneau. Had penciled in Skagway Fish Co as a possibility in Skagway. Would like to hear more detailed thoughts on SFC.

Thanks

Archived