Looking for recommendations of companies that do walking tours in Rome

stipmom

I learned of such a tour from these boards several years ago and my wife and I took two tours with them and highly recommend them. They are called Rome Walks. They are also recommended by Rick Steeves and we have also recommended them to several family and friend and they enjoyed the tours as well.

We took two tours. One was of the Vatican which was given be a tour guide with expertise in Roman Art and the other was a tour of the Colloseum and the Ancient City given by a tour guide with expertise in Roman History. The size of the groups was relatively small and the tours were excellent.

They have a web site as http://www.romewalks.com which will provide you with excellent information on the tours that are available. We then e-mailed them with our questions a couple of times and their e mails were timely and thorough. If you e mail them later today you may not hear back until early next week given the time difference and that we are approaching the weekend. I think they have an auto reply so you at least know they received the e mail.

Again, we were very pleased.

Keith

I have also heard good things about Rome Walks, and also about Through Eternity. If you're interested in getting more in depth information, I can highly recommend Context Rome walking tours. I have done several of their small group (6-8 people) tours of ancient Rome and really enjoyed them.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/Rome

We did them during a trip to London and found them very enjoyable.

Sorry to get off topic, it really wasn't to put down any organized tours which i also do...I did a vatican tour last year with Maximus tours, i was nervous since they had the best price but they were very good and the group was supposed to be 16-it ended up being just the two of us and they still did the tour with the cheaper group rate.

We used Through Eternity Tours in 2008 for a one day walking tour of Rome. It set the standard - no tour has approached the quality (comprehensiveness, knowledge, service) of our tour. On top of that, our guide was so enjoyable - and seemingly picked to be a perfect match for us.

We were so impressed, that this year, some good friends were visiting and we gave them a private tour as a gift. Again, a spectacular experience (...including meeting our friends on his day off, to cover a sight that was closed on the day of their tour).

I cannot praise them highly enough.

http://www.througheternity.com/

Mark

Archived