Vietnam visa

Joshua's gramps

Hi,

I am travelling on Oriana in November 2010 with a stop at Ho Chi Minh City (1 day). Current cost of tourist visa in UK is £44. With the facility to get the visa on board, is any one aware of whether on board purchase of a visa is at a concessionary rate or likely to be more expensive with anticipated addition of usual commission.

I have already accepted that I will need to buy an Indian transit visa for the pleasure of sitting in Mumbai Airport for my return flight and will treat it as an additional tax!!

Joshua's Gramps (or possibly Grumps)

Hi' date='

I am travelling on Oriana in November 2010 with a stop at Ho Chi Minh City (1 day). Current cost of tourist visa in UK is £44. With the facility to get the visa on board, is any one aware of whether on board purchase of a visa is at a concessionary rate or likely to be more expensive with anticipated addition of usual commission.

I have already accepted that I will need to buy an Indian transit visa for the pleasure of sitting in Mumbai Airport for my return flight and will treat it as an additional tax!!

Joshua's Gramps (or possibly Grumps)[/quote']

£44 for just one port/one day in Vietnam sounds heavy.

Is this via an agency? Or are postage charges involved?

My experience of ship-organised visas is that they are organised at cost (so hushhhh, don't go giving them ideas :D)

And the cost to them is likely to be lower than an individual purchase.

I'm fairly certain that if you leave it to the ship to organise, £44 is the most they would charge.

John Bull

I just called Princess and they said you can purchase the Vietnam visa on board for $20.00 per person.

I don't think you have a choice about getting the visa. Princess will have collected all the passports. The VIetnamese officials will put in the Visa. Princess will pay them and charge your account.

• 2 months later...

So, (sorry if I sound dumb)

If I go on the Ocean Princess from Shanghai to Singapore (Jan 23 2011), I can get my Vietnam Visas (we have 2 stops in Vietnam) from princess on board the ship, and I have to do nothing beforehand? (other than make sure my passport is valid and what not)

This is true? (I currently have no access to a phone and cannot call Princess)

If I go on the Ocean Princess from Shanghai to Singapore (Jan 23 2011), I can get my Vietnam Visas (we have 2 stops in Vietnam) from princess on board the ship, and I have to do nothing beforehand? (other than make sure my passport is valid and what not)

Correct. Just to be absolutely certain, be sure your passport doesn't expire for 6 months after you leave Vietnam and has at least 1 blank page (preferably more than 1)

If you go to cruise personalizer on Princess.com, look at the bottom of the itinerary, you will see details on the visas you need. This is for my cruise in April, 2011. I presume it says the same for yours.

"VIETNAM : VISA ISSUED UPON SHIP'S ARRIVAL. FEE CHARGED

TO PASSENGER'S STATEROOM ACCOUNT."

Correct. Just to be absolutely certain, be sure your passport doesn't expire for 6 months after you leave Vietnam and has at least 1 blank page (preferably more than 1)

No worries there, I got a new passport this past march.

so relieved about the visa thing!

Paul- is the Visa issued by the ship good for all travel for example when we go to Cambodia from HMC?

Sandy

Can't help you there. We got a ship visa for Vietnam in 2005. It looks like the one we got for a tour including Vietnam earlier this year.

Paul- is the Visa issued by the ship good for all travel for example when we go to Cambodia from HMC?

Sandy

Both Cambodia and Vietnam Visas are issued on the ship.

We were on Diamond Princess last Nov and I just checked back on the shipboard statement which reads...

Cambodia visa $30

Vietnam visa $21

Archived