Have you eaten dinner at the Lido?

When we were on the Legend, we ate in the MDR the 1st 2 nts, then gave up due to slow service.

Ate the rest of our meals in the Lido.

They have more selection. Also have Asian specialities that are authentic.

Also, one day, they had an impressive dessert display that wasn't available in the MDR.

Cruisingly Yours

Have you ever been on a cruise?

Sure have, myself I'm just not one for the Formal eating.

I did try it 1 time on my first cruise and it just is not me. But I'm glad others do like it ! I'm just more leisurely laid back and eat when I want and what I want.

Sure have, myself I'm just not one for the Formal eating.

I did try it 1 time on my first cruise and it just is not me. But I'm glad others do like it ! I'm just more leisurely laid back and eat when I want and what I want.

I myself normally enjoy the formality of the MDR, but I was thinking about opting for the lido on a couple of port nights where I can just sit and watch whatever beautiful port we visited fade away into the distance. Or just watch as the other cruise ships sail away.

In short, if the food on the Lido is just as good, why would I want to give up that opportunity by eating in the MDR? :) Just a thought.

I love the MDR but there have been a few times when I have eaten at the Lido buffet. Last cruise we went and they had the great macaroni and cheese and wonderful red bliss mashed potatoes, carving board, etc. We like having the option to pick and choose where and when to eat.

My daughter was sick with a bad cold/allergies and didn't feel like eating in the dining room, so we would go to the lido after we ate in the MDR to take a tray to her in the room. She loves the chocolate chip cookies they have for dessert on the lido deck.

I've always found the food quality good whether it is the MDR, Lido or room service.

The only time we eat in the Lido buffet is on embarkation day, or if we are on the ship while in port. Other than that, we eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner. Just our choice - we like the leisurely pace, as well as meeting new people (except on the mornings that dh has forgotten to get his room service coffee early, then we ask for a table for 2!!! :D )

We usually eat in the lido restaurant versus MDR. Actually,we only visit the MDR on elegant nights. From what I understand,the Lido has the same food as the MDR. I never fail to find something good no matter where I eat!

In my 3 cruises, I've only eaten at the lido for dinner once. I wanted to try it out since I had only had dinner in the MDR. It is true that most of the items that are being served in the MDR that night are also available on the buffet. I, however, found the quality to be much less. Stuff seemed cold and not as flavorful. I was definitely not impressed.

Of course, one of the main reasons I decided to try the lido that night was because I wasn't feeling too well. Maybe that had a bearing on my opinion.

Has anyone eaten dinner in the Lido restaurant as opposed to the main dining room? I'm going on Carnival Dream this August and I'm considering this as an occasional option. How does the Lido's evening food rate compared to the main dining room?

I have eaten there several times over the past ten cruises. They will make salmon for you if you ask. I usually got that. The salad is great.

I concur with SATXLady....I was on my first solo cruise in April and 1 night I just didn't feel like going to the MDR, plus the tummy wasn't real happy with me. I just wanted some rice and veggies, and nothing real heavy. They had pretty much the same main courses as the MDR, just not a full menu.

Op, if you don't feel like going to the MDR one night, I think Lido is a great alternative. Check out the dinner menus posted at MDR. If you aren't overly excited about the nights options, try something else. I know I don't like sitting through an MDR dinner, when there is only 1 appetizer that sounds good to me...LOL

Glad to hear that the food isn't bad on the Lido. We are planning to eat in the MDR, but we're going to have a long day in Cozumel and I'm pretty sure we won't be back in time for our early seating time in the MDR that day. My husband is picky and wouldn't eat hamburgers or hot dogs so I'm glad there will be other good things to eat.

Not to hijack the thread, but at the opposite end of the day, breakfast is very good in the MDR's.

I prefer it over the buffets although I sometimes miss it due to sleeping in. I think you can eat a breakfast buffet on Carnival until almost noon.

Not to hijack the thread, but at the opposite end of the day, breakfast is very good in the MDR's.

I prefer it over the buffets although I sometimes miss it due to sleeping in. I think you can eat a breakfast buffet on Carnival until almost noon.

Really? My breakfast experience in the MDR (I think we ate there once on Liberty - then left!) was terrible. Slow service, cold food, pretty much the stuff you find in the Lido except less of it and low quality. I find it interesting to hear someone praise the MDR on that matter...could depend on the staff and ship.

I'm slowly moving toward taking dinners in the buffet and breakfasts/lunches in the MDR. Although the food in the MDR is fine, it takes sooo long to get through dinner. Besides, much of the same food is on the buffet. Dinner usually has a paucity of vegetable matter, except for lettuce and the dreaded broccoli, so I like to go to the buffet to get great big lashings of veggies a couple of times a week.

I miss the soup course, though. Somehow the soups just aren't as good at the buffet.

We have been up to LIDO for dinner a few times, times when we didnt feel like dressing up and other times when they would serve steak fries. Usually when we sail on shorter 3 or 4 day cruises we would go up to Lido.

Last year we sailed onboard Radiance of the Seas in San Diego, the MDR food during dinner was the worst ever. There was nothing on the menu to order that I would enjoy eating and they would charge extra for Filet Mignon.

But everything Radiance has up on Lido was very very good. They surely beat Carnival in the buffet but when it came to MDR Dinner Carnival is surely a winner.

So on future RCCI cruises I will have my dinners on Lido.

Fred

When I can't find anything in the MDR to eat, I'll go up to the buffet. Sometimes I will just have them grill me a piece of fish or chicken.

The only problem with eating up at the buffet by yourself is that your table might get cleaned while you are away getting more food. Happened to me.

We have been on numerous Carnival cruises and have enjoyed the Lido dining option many times. Sometimes just for the lack of formality, the ability to eat when we want, pick and choose our food items, sit outside (which is a treat, especially in the Caribbean, or someplace lovely and warm), or just steal away in a quiet corner (you'll have more options to do that during dinner). We have always enjoyed the food. And in all the cruises I've been on, I have yet to eat a burger, hot dog, or fries...for any meal. There are a ton of options.

On our last cruise (Glory's Christmas sailing) we had evey dinner on Lido (due to health and mobility issues with Mom) and there was soups, salad bar, baked potatoes, rice, carver meats and most other stuff like on the menu for the MDR available each night NOT Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, and we even had assorted deserts each night including the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

Now that it's just DD and I we booked the Ant time dining and would not hesitate to have dinner on Lido, it was kind of nice to eat when we wanted.

We have often eaten at the buffet at night...pretty good, too.

Really? My breakfast experience in the MDR (I think we ate there once on Liberty - then left!) was terrible. Slow service, cold food, pretty much the stuff you find in the Lido except less of it and low quality. I find it interesting to hear someone praise the MDR on that matter...could depend on the staff and ship.

We only tried it on the Triumph and Ecstasy, but the service was good. Like the evening meals, there is a 2 waiter system. They tend to seat people at the larger tables and will mix groups together. I believe they relax the dress code in the morning.

In my limited experience, they are fast with the drinks and bring a basket of danishes around shortly after seating.

But I guess the reason I really like it is for the eggs benedict. I think it's the only dish I get, but it is always excellent.

Next time, I'll have to try lunch in the MDR.

Our last cruise on the Miracle DW and I decided we were not going to bring along the formal wear and just have dinner in Lido those nights.

LOVED IT!!!!! The food was very good, (and yes there was Prime Rib :)) We took as long as we wanted to eat and had as much of what we wanted.

We love the MDR ,but every meal every night doesn't have to be a 5 course gourmand experience (For Us anyway). Just something light and simple. DW can make herself a nice salad and a bowl of soup and be very happy. I am a little more of a piggie *LOL*

I see us going to Lido more often on future cruises.

Archived