Celebrity, HAL or Princess for the antartic?

travelberlin

We are planning a cruise to the antartic. Which ship would you recommend? Celebrity infinity, MS Veendam or Star Princess? Prices are more or less comparible and we know the itinerary is great. What ship is in better shape, better food and entertainment? Am I asking maybe too much for just one ship?

We are planning a cruise to the antartic. Which ship would you recommend? Celebrity infinity, MS Veendam or Star Princess? Prices are more or less comparible and we know the itinerary is great. What ship is in better shape, better food and entertainment? Am I asking maybe too much for just one ship?
IMHO, HAL is the better option for Antarctica but the nightlife isn't as good. My feeling is that you can go on a cruise with nightlife any old time but when you're in Antarctica, you should have the best Antarctic experience. HAL has the best experience.

I've sailed in that part of the world twice: once on the Golden and once on the Amsterdam. Totally different experiences in that the Golden is far too big for several of the ports, overwhelming the local resources, plus it can't go places the smaller ships can, particularly in the Antarctic. On the Amsterdam, we followed the Marco Polo II around for three days and the only thing we did differently was we couldn't land passengers. We went to three different Antarctic stations, with the scientists and people from Palmer Station (one of the three U.S. stations in Antarctica, South Pole and McMurdo being the other two) boarded our ship and spend the day chatting with people and telling us about their research, how they live, how they dispose of garbage, etc. They were fascinating. Our Antarctica expert has been exploring Antarctica since the mid-60s and has several landmarks named after him. We went into fjords that I just know the Star wouldn't be able to get into.

I don't know about Celebrity as I've never sailed them but to me, hands down, I'd pick HAL over Princess for Antarctica. Food and service are comparable but nightlife a bit lacking. But as I said, you can do a Caribbean cruise to get nightlife; that's not why one would cruise to Antarctica. You'll have just this last year; after 2011, no more cruise ships in Antarctica so I'd pick the one with the best experience.

IMHO, HAL is the better option for Antarctica but the nightlife isn't as good. My feeling is that you can go on a cruise with nightlife any old time but when you're in Antarctica, you should have the best Antarctic experience. HAL has the best experience.

I've sailed in that part of the world twice: once on the Golden and once on the Amsterdam. Totally different experiences in that the Golden is far too big for several of the ports, overwhelming the local resources, plus it can't go places the smaller ships can, particularly in the Antarctic. On the Amsterdam, we followed the Marco Polo II around for three days and the only thing we did differently was we couldn't land passengers. We went to three different Antarctic stations, with the scientists and people from Palmer Station (one of the three U.S. stations in Antarctica, South Pole and McMurdo being the other two) boarded our ship and spend the day chatting with people and telling us about their research, how they live, how they dispose of garbage, etc. They were fascinating. Our Antarctica expert has been exploring Antarctica since the mid-60s and has several landmarks named after him. We went into fjords that I just know the Star wouldn't be able to get into.

I don't know about Celebrity as I've never sailed them but to me, hands down, I'd pick HAL over Princess for Antarctica. Food and service are comparable but nightlife a bit lacking. But as I said, you can do a Caribbean cruise to get nightlife; that's not why one would cruise to Antarctica. You'll have just this last year; after 2011, no more cruise ships in Antarctica so I'd pick the one with the best experience.

I totally agree with Pam. Nightlife can be on any cruise, but an Antartic itinerary is, imho, a once in a lifetime type of cruise. I would definetely choose HAL. Now if I could only convince my DW to sail here. We've got a constant battle going with her wanting to sail to Canada/New Engleand and me wanting to do the Antartic.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for your replies. I agree about the small ships for the antartic and it looks like HAL is a good choice. Husband is a bit concerned about rough seas around the Cape and he thinks at a small ship we will feel it more. Is there really that bad with rough seas there?

In any case, you had better make a reservation immediately if you wish to see the Antarctic via a major cruise ship. New rules go into effect in Spring 2011 which will prohibit any cruise ships using heavy oil. We cruised the Antarctic twice on the Star Princess and had a great time. Last time I checked, the only 2 Princess cruise for this season (and probably the last for the foreseeable future) were basically sold out. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies. I agree about the small ships for the antartic and it looks like HAL is a good choice. Husband is a bit concerned about rough seas around the Cape and he thinks at a small ship we will feel it more. Is there really that bad with rough seas there?

The Drake Passage between South America and the Antarctic is generally considered to be the roughest water in the world. We cruised it twice. The first time the seas were basically calm (like 8 foot). The second time a storm was progressing and we saw 30 foot swells. I am sure that the captain will exercise proper precautions, but don't forget your seasick remedies just in case.

I've cruised it twice and while the weather wasn't the best, it certainly wasn't bad. There's no predicting how bad it can/will be. When we were on the Amsterdam, we encountered 100+ mph katabatic winds as we sailed around Paulet Island that pushed the ship over 12-degrees for about an hour as we sailed between the island and land. The Captain later told us that because our small ship had "pod" steering, we were never in any danger but if we'd been in a fixed propeller ship, it could have been "interesting."

One plus of being on the small (1200 passengers) ship is that it was never crowded, even in the prime viewing areas. Plus, when we were in Stanley (Falklands), most passengers were able to get tours as opposed to my previous experience on the Golden when those who didn't make plans or book tours months before boarding the ship were left with getting off the ship and just walking around Stanley. There were literally hundreds of pissed off passengers who felt they should have been informed, and I happen to agree. But even if they'd been informed, the local resources were maxed out with the 1,000 or so who did pre-book ship's or independent tours.

JMHO - we sailed in Antarctica this past season with Hurtigruten, who is one of a few companies who does landings. It is hard for us to imagine doing a "drive by" after our experience setting foot on Antarctica, the Falklands and South Georgia. Silversea is doing Antarctica and we are booked for one of their sailings to return next year. As for weather sailing across the Drake, it can be mirror calm to 50+ foot seas and hurricane winds, as it was for our sailing across the Drake. If you are worried about the seasickness the ear patches worked well for us.

Good luck on whatever you decide, AA is a mystical place and not to be missed in a life time if at all possible. Email me if you want the link to our blog with pictures mrqcace@yahoo.com

Regards,

RonC

JMHO - we sailed in Antarctica this past season with Hurtigruten, who is one of a few companies who does landings. It is hard for us to imagine doing a "drive by" after our experience setting foot on Antarctica, the Falklands and South Georgia. Silversea is doing Antarctica and we are booked for one of their sailings to return next year. As for weather sailing across the Drake, it can be mirror calm to 50+ foot seas and hurricane winds, as it was for our sailing across the Drake. If you are worried about the seasickness the ear patches worked well for us.
First, the ships that do landings will still be able to, I believe, after Spring 2011. Second, those companies as well as Silversea are a lot more expensive and because they have limited capacity, more difficult to book. I would love to do a landing-type cruise of Antarctica but it's out of my, and probably many others, financial range. I agree that they offer a fantastic experience but sometimes, price wins out.

In any case, you had better make a reservation immediately if you wish to see the Antarctic via a major cruise ship. New rules go into effect in Spring 2011 which will prohibit any cruise ships using heavy oil. We cruised the Antarctic twice on the Star Princess and had a great time. Last time I checked, the only 2 Princess cruise for this season (and probably the last for the foreseeable future) were basically sold out. Good luck!

HAL as well as other lines have already announced they'll continue to sail there and they can meet the new requirements.

HAL as well as other lines have already announced they'll continue to sail there and they can meet the new requirements.
Interesting. I hadn't read that. Thanks for posting. As almost all of the Princess ships are now much bigger than the HAL ships, I guess that means Princess is definitely pulling out.

I actually took the Celebrity Infinity cruise that departed on Valentines Day this year. It was great. But I agree with the others -- you definitely don't go to Antarctica for the nightlife...especially since a lot of the wildlife watching is in the morning!

Let me just say that you'll LOVE Antarctica. It's an incredible experience.

But I feel the need to give you a warning about expectations -- because there were definitely things about Antarctic travel that I didn't know when I booked that I'm glad I know now. One thing to bear in mind though is that it's EXTREMELY weather-dependent. You're going down to one of the harshest climates on earth. If you hit bad weather, it will literally change your itinerary. Sometimes drastically. And it's in the cruise line fine print when you book.

The Falkland Islands, for example, is a tender port. If the weather is bad, they can't get the tenders into or out of Port Stanley. One of the naturalists on board told us that one in every three cruises (from ANY cruise line) has to miss that port due to inclement weather conditions.

We got extremely lucky. The weather was brilliant the entire trip and we got to see everything that was promised to us. We even got more time than promised in the Gerlache Straight and Paradise Bay. The Captain also went out of the way to chase down some icebergs for us on the way down to Antarctica. It was VERY cool (no pun intended).

But the cruise before ours on Infinity was not so lucky. Because of bad weather, they had to miss the Falkland Islands AND Elephant Island, Antarctica...and they only got like half an hour in Paradise Bay. To top it off the sea was so rocky when they hit the Cape that the ship had to shut down the restaurant because plates were falling off the tables. Needless to say there were a lot of angry people on that boat.

Anytime you go down there, just know that you are taking a gamble on what you'll see. We had a perfect trip. The cruise prior had a miserable one. It was all weather dependent. But regardless, having won that gamble -- I assure you that it's totally worth it. It's one of the most awe-inspiring places in the world.

That said, even with good weather the sea around the Cape was ROUGH. A lot of people on our cruise got seasick. We didn't -- but we were in an interior stateroom on a lower deck toward the center of the ship.

(As a side note, the best place to watch the wildlife from on the Infinity is the Constellation lounge. Get there at like 6a.m. to get a prime seat. You'll see all the animals and icebergs coming and get some incredible photographs).

Another side note: this would be a good trip to have a balcony stateroom, but I did hear a lot of people who had balconies complain they missed seeing things (like whales breaching) because they were on the other side of the ship and they couldn't get from their stateroom to the other side of the ship fast enough. We were up in the Constellation lounge and missed nothing! My boyfriend would hold our chairs while I rushed outside and took pictures and vice versa.

As for which cruiseline is better -- I can't say. Have never cruised with H.A.L. but I've heard great things. I've had great cruises on Princess. Would definitely cruise with them again. And Celebrity runs a nice trip down there. I really enjoyed it. The demographic does skew older on Celebrity than Princess though -- which may or may not be an issue for you. But it does mean LESS nightlife. Infinity had some nightlife -- but not much.

One of the nicer surprises was that the Infinity had two naturalists on board giving lectures about the wildlife we were about to see. They also made sure that all the onboard movies related to the places we were visiting. Ie. the night before we cruised Elephant Island, we saw "Endurance" -- the Shackleton Expedition documentary. They also showed "March of the Penguins" and several other Antarctica-related films. The naturalists and the documentaries added a LOT to the experience IMO.

Hope you're able to go! Antarctica is amazing.

Thank you all! We have decided to take the cruise with Celebrity Infinity, and guess what....The ship does not go to the Antartic!. it goes from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires around the Cape Horn but according to the itinerary, it does not cross the drake passage.

I think it is still going to be interesting. We were in the artic a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. But we never had bad weather or rough seas. In a way I was expecting the antartic to be similar. But after reading your comments and doing some research I think a cruise to the Antartic has rougher seas.

Archived