Disembarking the Epic

Bgem75

For those that have already been..

How long did it take you to get off the ship at the end of your trip?

Being new to NCL do they also have self-assist disembarkation?

What is the earliest you can get off?

We have a 12:20 flight and would like to be off the ship by approx 9-9:30 so that we can make it back to the Ft lauderdale airport in time.

For those that have already been..

How long did it take you to get off the ship at the end of your trip?

Being new to NCL do they also have self-assist disembarkation?

What is the earliest you can get off?

We have a 12:20 flight and would like to be off the ship by approx 9-9:30 so that we can make it back to the Ft lauderdale airport in time.

We have the same situation...anyone?

It was surprisingly smooth disembarking. We had a 10:45 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale (Jet Blue moved the time up on us) so we were a bit worried. We did the walk off with our luggage. They announced we could get off around 7:45 which we weren't ready for. We walked off about 8:15 and they were already on their 2nd or 3rd color by then. We had a short line to get off the ship and an even shorter line at customs. We got to our shuttle at about 8:35. We used SAS transportation which was awesome! Got to the aiport at about 9:30, breezed through everything there and was at our terminal at 10:00.

I wish we had a later flight so we could have hung around a bit longer on the ship, we hated to leave.

It was surprisingly smooth disembarking. We had a 10:45 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale (Jet Blue moved the time up on us) so we were a bit worried. We did the walk off with our luggage. They announced we could get off around 7:45 which we weren't ready for. We walked off about 8:15 and they were already on their 2nd or 3rd color by then. We had a short line to get off the ship and an even shorter line at customs. We got to our shuttle at about 8:35. We used SAS transportation which was awesome! Got to the aiport at about 9:30, breezed through everything there and was at our terminal at 10:00.

I wish we had a later flight so we could have hung around a bit longer on the ship, we hated to leave.

Thanks so much for posting. This will help me decide if i should fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

We also are flying on jet blue and they also changed our flight out to an earlier time. We are also going to use sas transportion.

Did you give them(sas) a specific time to pick you up?? How did you and sas decide a pick up time?

We also are flying on jet blue and they also changed our flight out to an earlier time. We are also going to use sas transportion.

Did you give them(sas) a specific time to pick you up?? How did you and sas decide a pick up time?

I just gave SAS both of my flight times. I called them once I had my luggage and they had someone meet me within 5 minutes both times. They also called me before I got off the ship Saturday morning to get an estimate when I was going to be down there. They have people circling the airport and cruise terminals and once they are full or have everyone they know that are going to be there at that time they will head to your destination. The first time we only had 5 people total in the van, coming back we were full with 12. The driver had our airline and flight info and was very aware of it, even with all those others on the van. It felt like very personalized service. We almost paid $150 round trip to get a limo to avoid the hassle and now we are so glad we saved the money.

It's the first time we used them but we will use them everytime from here on out. It went very smooth and you can't beat $15 a person.

I've cruised out of the Miami port 4 times. Twice I flew into Ft. Lauderdale and twice Miami Int.. I don't have a preference. If I find a better deal on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale I would just assume fly in there. If it's the same price I would go with Miami just because it's about 20 minutes closer to the port. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference though.

I just gave SAS both of my flight times. I called them once I had my luggage and they had someone meet me within 5 minutes both times. They also called me before I got off the ship Saturday morning to get an estimate when I was going to be down there. They have people circling the airport and cruise terminals and once they are full or have everyone they know that are going to be there at that time they will head to your destination. The first time we only had 5 people total in the van, coming back we were full with 12. The driver had our airline and flight info and was very aware of it, even with all those others on the van. It felt like very personalized service. We almost paid $150 round trip to get a limo to avoid the hassle and now we are so glad we saved the money.

It's the first time we used them but we will use them everytime from here on out. It went very smooth and you can't beat $15 a person.

I've cruised out of the Miami port 4 times. Twice I flew into Ft. Lauderdale and twice Miami Int.. I don't have a preference. If I find a better deal on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale I would just assume fly in there. If it's the same price I would go with Miami just because it's about 20 minutes closer to the port. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference though.

Thank you for the info.. we are flying in the day before and the hotel picks us up at the airport so we will be having sas pick us up at the hotel which is only like 3 mins from ft lauderdale airport.

Can you request a pick up time for them to pick you up at the hotel do you know?? We would like to be picked up around 11-11:30am so that we can get over to the terminal at a decent time.

So I take it you gave them your cell phone number so they could contact you the day of disembarkation. Nice to know they are so on top of things. We decided to go with them bcs everyone was raving about them. Glad to hear someone else that used them and had a good experience..word of mouth is the best advertisement anyone can have.

I noticed someone said they had a choice of Airports. Miami is very easy to get to. A 15 minute cab ride. wham, bam!

On the other hand, if FTL is your choice, plan on the extra time for a shuttle.

On July17, we were off the ship by 7:45 and at the Miami airport by 8:05. Took a taxi as they were plentiful and only $24. We used the carry your own bags option and it was by far the easiest disembarkation we have experienced. NCL gets 10 gold stars for both service and efficiency. AirTran on the other hand gets the exact opposite:mad:!

For those who are not in a hurry to leave the ship.....;) ...... what time did the last ones leave?

Interesting concept I've read about the cruise lines contemplating having passengers pay a bit to stay on ships longer......

Miami is very close to the port and Ft. Lauderdale is about 30 minutes away. Fort Lauderdale is the nicer and easier airport though.

Unless there is a killer deal we will not go into Miami if we can help it.

We thought we were in a differnt country when we went there..we coulnt find anyone to speak english to us. It was also very very congested. Which ended up in us as well as most of the people on our flight missing it.

We will always prefer to fly into ft lauderdale. It is very nice, laid back, plenty of people speak english there, not far from either port, well signed and cheaper for us to fly into.

Unless there is a killer deal we will not go into Miami if we can help it.

We thought we were in a differnt country when we went there..we coulnt find anyone to speak english to us. It was also very very congested. Which ended up in us as well as most of the people on our flight missing it.

We will always prefer to fly into ft lauderdale. It is very nice, laid back, plenty of people speak english there, not far from either port, well signed and cheaper for us to fly into.

Well at least my husband speaks English, so I'm just gonna be stuck talking to him. :D

If you don't want to carry your luggage, you can pick up an orange tag which are the first bags off the ship. We were called about 15 minutes after walk offs and luggage was easy to find, as was the cab. We had a 12:00 flight and got there about 3 hours early.:)

Well at least my husband speaks English, so I'm just gonna be stuck talking to him. :D

lol..My hubby speaks 2 languages so if he really wanted to screw with me...he could always speak his second..

For those who are not in a hurry to leave the ship.....;) ...... what time did the last ones leave?

Interesting concept I've read about the cruise lines contemplating having passengers pay a bit to stay on ships longer......

We left the ship at 10 AM and there were still people hanging around O'Sheehan's Pub.

Just a note about getting a taxi around that time. TOTAL CHAOS. There was no organization as far as where and if there was a line for s cab. Kind of reminded me of being in Manhattan, people standing in the street waving down a taxi. I got into a heated argument with one cab driver.:mad::mad:

Miami airport..........never again:mad:

Thank you for the info.. we are flying in the day before and the hotel picks us up at the airport so we will be having sas pick us up at the hotel which is only like 3 mins from ft lauderdale airport.

Can you request a pick up time for them to pick you up at the hotel do you know?? We would like to be picked up around 11-11:30am so that we can get over to the terminal at a decent time.

So I take it you gave them your cell phone number so they could contact you the day of disembarkation. Nice to know they are so on top of things. We decided to go with them bcs everyone was raving about them. Glad to hear someone else that used them and had a good experience..word of mouth is the best advertisement anyone can have.

I'm sure you would just tell SAS what time to pick you up at your hotel. That would probably make it much easier on them. By the way, we got to the terminal around 11am because our flght got in at 10am and were able to go through security right away. We then had to wait in this one room for about 15 minutes but were on the ship by 11:30. We were told they wouldn't start boarding until noon, so we were really happy that we didn't have to wait. Yep, they had my cell phone number from when I filled out the request online. I had Steve who is at their office and then driver who was picking me up call me to coordinate pickup. Couldn't recommend SAS any higher.

I'm sure you would just tell SAS what time to pick you up at your hotel. That would probably make it much easier on them. By the way, we got to the terminal around 11am because our flght got in at 10am and were able to go through security right away. We then had to wait in this one room for about 15 minutes but were on the ship by 11:30. We were told they wouldn't start boarding until noon, so we were really happy that we didn't have to wait. Yep, they had my cell phone number from when I filled out the request online. I had Steve who is at their office and then driver who was picking me up call me to coordinate pickup. Couldn't recommend SAS any higher.

Thank you..word of mouth really says alot!!

We left the ship at 10 AM and there were still people hanging around O'Sheehan's Pub.

Just a note about getting a taxi around that time. TOTAL CHAOS. There was no organization as far as where and if there was a line for s cab. Kind of reminded me of being in Manhattan, people standing in the street waving down a taxi. I got into a heated argument with one cab driver.:mad::mad:

Fort Lauderdale's airport is WORSE!!! It's much smaller than MIA and if there's a lot of ship's in port be prepared for major lines.

Fort Lauderdale's airport is WORSE!!! It's much smaller than MIA and if there's a lot of ship's in port be prepared for major lines.

We have never had a problem in Ft Lauderdale even with many ships in port in Ft lauderdale & Miami. We like it bcs it is smaller. They kept everyone moving. We have actually never stood in a line, never mind a long line...When i am only behind one person i cant count that as a line.

We also liked it because everyone was very helpfull and we could actually find people who spoke english..unlike miami.

In miami we did nothing but try to use the little spanish we had..keep getting put in the wrong lines..and yes there are lines everywhere for everything..no one is helpfull...to the point we missed our flight..AND we are not alone. Most of our friends and family have also experienced this as well and refuse to fly in and out of miami bcs of having some portion of the same experience.

Plus it is cheaper for us to fly into ft lauderdale as well.

I also hate the Miami airport. Then again, I fly so much for work that for me, it's all about convenience.

MIA is 15 minutes from downtown and round trip from ATL my tickets were only $138. Can't beat that with a stick. If I were spending any significant amount of time in the airport I may pick FTL if the prices were the same. Since I'll barely be there at all (barring flight cancellations), MIA is the right choice for me.

My poor sister, however, lives on the west coast and her flight out post-cruise isn't until nearly 5:00 pm (mine is at 11:00)! :eek: She doesn't know how crappy that airport is. I'm not telling her, but I may be kind and pay the $50 for her to hang out in the Delta Sky Lounge for the day, though. If she's nice to me. :D

We have never had a problem in Ft Lauderdale even with many ships in port in Ft lauderdale & Miami. We like it bcs it is smaller. They kept everyone moving. We have actually never stood in a line, never mind a long line...When i am only behind one person i cant count that as a line.

We also liked it because everyone was very helpfull and we could actually find people who spoke english..unlike miami.

In miami we did nothing but try to use the little spanish we had..keep getting put in the wrong lines..and yes there are lines everywhere for everything..no one is helpfull...to the point we missed our flight..AND we are not alone. Most of our friends and family have also experienced this as well and refuse to fly in and out of miami bcs of having some portion of the same experience.

Plus it is cheaper for us to fly into ft lauderdale as well.

Wow! You're lucky! :) If I dont do self assist w/my luggage and get off the ship early (7 am or so), the lines @ FLL airport are unbelievably slow and loooooong anytime after 9 am.

Typically when I arrive into FLL I never encounter any problems retrieving my luggage, getting a cab, etc.

Wow! You're lucky! :) If I dont do self assist w/my luggage and get off the ship early (7 am or so), the lines @ FLL airport are unbelievably slow and loooooong anytime after 9 am.

Typically when I arrive into FLL I never encounter any problems retrieving my luggage, getting a cab, etc.

4 out of our 5 past cruises we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and never had a problem coming or going..

but who were you flying with?? In the past we were us air or continental. Neither company had a line. This time we are going jet blue...so lets hope they don't have a line..lol

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe we will just see HOW long they will let us hang at O'Sheehan's -- be the last to get off ......not have to search for luggage ......get the last taxi -- that would make it so much easier and more enjoyable than spending hours in the airport ...... we'll see how it goes......

Thanks for the post!

Archived