Boring Beaches

pcmodhouse

So, we leave on the fascination on Aug 7 out of FL to the Bahamas. Half Moon Cay is part of the trip. I love cruising. I love just being on the ship and enjoying the ocean all around. I'm also a fatty, so the constant buffets are a plus too.

We lived in San Diego for a couple of years and had the beach at our diposal. We almost never went and I could've cared less. I just don't get anything out of beaches. I'm looking forward to watching my kids playing in the sand an doing those kid things, but to me it's plain old boring.

Convince me that even a beach can be fun.

So, we leave on the fascination on Aug 7 out of FL to the Bahamas. Half Moon Cay is part of the trip. I love cruising. I love just being on the ship and enjoying the ocean all around. I'm also a fatty, so the constant buffets are a plus too.

We lived in San Diego for a couple of years and had the beach at our diposal. We almost never went and I could've cared less. I just don't get anything out of beaches. I'm looking forward to watching my kids playing in the sand an doing those kid things, but to me it's plain old boring.

I don't know how to covince you to love or even like the beach..We live on the beach in San Diego the sand is my backyard..It is so much a part of our lives we all surf we all dive including my 7 year old twins so the beach for us is everyday..cannot imagine living without it..I guess you have to go with an open mind and enjoy the beauty of all that surrounds you..The carribean is different than the pacific much calmer and alot warmer...take a good book and relax breathe in the salt air, there is something to be said for sitting and doing absolutely nothing.. my husband is a Marine leaving on his 6th deployment in 9 years in my world boring is good!

I posted something similar to this when I first booked my cruise. I had been on RCCL's CoCo Cay and wasn't impressed given I can go to beaches any weekend I want.

However, after the replies I recieved on my post I am convinced that Half Moon Cay is a MUST see. I won't be getting up early to go spend the entire day there, but I do plan on at least spending a few hours in the afternoon enjoying the beach, afterall I do LOVE the beach and I don't have to worry about finding a parking space at this one. On the Private Island board here there is a lot of HMC talk and some videos of the cabanas.

Why? If you don't like the beach, you don't. Stay on the ship and enjoy the lack of people.

Our first trip to HMC we didn't get off the ship. Our next trip there in Sept, we will. Doesn't matter either way.

I think there's two days on the beach. We'll do Half Moon Cay.....I don't know what there is otherwise to explore.

If you love to cruise but you do not like the beach why not try a trip where there is less beach time and more sightseeing..maybe Europe or Alaska..there are alot of options..

If it were me I would find the easiest way to enjoy the beach is to take lots of photos of the kids. That way they have fun and you capturing memories to last a lifetime. As they play you will laugh and maybe find the joy that way. Enjoy your cruise and go get sandy!

Three words....Beach BBQ buffet.....:D

I think subliminally you've said what you really want to do.

Hit the gym.

I *love* the beach, but I simply cannot stand the private islands that cruise ships stick on their itineraries.

There's a huge difference between strolling Panama City Beach, or even Jacksonville Beach, at sunrise, and being packed in like sardines on an overcrowded/undersized private island. No thanks. I'll stay on the ship.

why? more room for me and my bucket of beer...:p

If relaxing in the sun with the sound of the ocean is not your thing, there is nothing wrong with that.

There are other things to do and see in port. ;):D

I *love* the beach, but I simply cannot stand the private islands that cruise ships stick on their itineraries.

There's a huge difference between strolling Panama City Beach, or even Jacksonville Beach, at sunrise, and being packed in like sardines on an overcrowded/undersized private island. No thanks. I'll stay on the ship.

Waaay different than your "packed like sardines" description: Half Moon Cay beach in April of this year....

2131370341_HMCbeach.jpg.98f8b8b8cabbdeae70ce69cbe06c662e.jpg

I live near gorgeous beaches with little islands and lighthouses. I do other things at most places besides go to the beach. However, I am in total love with Half Moon Cay. We rented a Cabana. I could spend the entire day there very easily. On the day we were there, it wasn't crowded at all. In fact, we were further down the beach away from everyone. There were trees there and places to sit more in the shade.

This year with the oil spill made me appreciate the beaches in my area more and more. They aren't "boring". No, we didn't have oil..thank goodnesss!!!

HMC.jpg.8bcf494f005fdb8c97bc7457cb3094f2.jpg

click for bigger picture

I think subliminally you've said what you really want to do.

Hit the gym.

I really think that this was uncalled for. You don't have to be overweight to be bored by beaches, and you don't have to be thin to enjoy them!

I really think that this was uncalled for. You don't have to be overweight to be bored by beaches, and you don't have to be thin to enjoy them!

Quite possibly so, but when you say something like, "I'm a fatty so I like the buffets", you're just opening yourself up and practically begging for someone to comment on it. An alarming number of American adults (and children) are overweight. It's really not something to "brag" about.

Give Half Moon Cay a try. The water is beautiful and they have coconut monkey head drinks. I don't swim but I just love staying out in water where I can actuallly see my feet. We live on the Chesapeake Bay so that doesn't happen here. And, .....the life guards on the Bay don't offer coconut monkey head drinks.:)

I'm a California girl so I've lived near beaches all my life. BTDT I've never seen the attraction of heading for a day at the beach when I get to a port. But I do understand the attraction for those who don't have beaches nearby, especially families. I want to see something/anything that's unique about each place I visit. Or do an activity I can't/don't do at home. However, I do love my days at the private island stops. They're relaxing, like sea days. For my upcoming Victory cruise with no sea days, I'm planning a couple of tours to include beach time - a first for me. But after an hour or so, I'll be ready to move on to something else.

Convince me how staying on the ship and constantly going to the buffets can be fun........

I am NOT a beach person (never have been)....

but what I do enjoy is finding a shady spot (like at the bar on HMC)....drinking a cool one with the breeze gently blowing.

WONDERFUL!!!

Some people don't like the beach...never have, never will. Nothing wrong with that at all. Let your kids enjoy the beach if you'd like, but don't rule out staying on the ship if that's more you're style. Now, here's my trying to convince you part: I absolutely love the beach. But, I'm someone who can lose myself in the rhythm of the waves, or the feeling of my toes digging into the sand. I love snorkeling and diving and swimming. There's nothing better than staring out at the water into forever and feeling the breeze blow thru your hair (or horns in your case ;)).

Oops, sorry, maybe those are actually just big ears, not horns.

We just got back and was at Half Moon cay IT IS the most beautiful beach I have seem. The sand is SOOOOO soft like powder the water is so blue like pool water. There are floats that the kids can jump off and also a slide. I love the beach and my daughter is the same but hubby could take it or leave it, but at this beach he loved it! We rented a float and a sun cover so if he wanted to he could get out of the sun...

Oh and they have a big buffet on the island that was awesome..

I think once seeing how beautiful and how much fun your kids will have, then you will have fun also..

Have a great time:)

My wife and I are not big fan of beaches either but there is always other things you can do - there are plenty of excursions that do not involve you sitting on a beach all day. From the Carnival website for Half Moon Cay:

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?region=BH&portcode=HMC&portname=Half+Moon+Cay%2c+Bahamas&activitytype=&pg=1

i live in california as well, i could get to the beach in 20 minutes right now if i wanted, i still LOVE going to the beaches on vacation and in a port. the beaches over there are different than ours the water is clearer, the sand is whiter, its a different culture, group of people. I love being in the water too though, regardless of how often I can go at home, I dont think ill ever take for granted how convenient it is like most do.

Archived