Chops Grill

I am looking at making a reservation for chops on my upcoming cruise. I don't mind paying but what I would like to know is how is the food compared to eating in the MDR? Is it more for the atmospshere or do they have specialty items on the menu there that are not on the menu in the MDR? I want to try it out as Chops was not on the last cruise I was on.

I am looking at making a reservation for chops on my upcoming cruise. I don't mind paying but what I would like to know is how is the food compared to eating in the MDR? Is it more for the atmospshere or do they have specialty items on the menu there that are not on the menu in the MDR? I want to try it out as Chops was not on the last cruise I was on.

The food is waaaayyy better in Chops - steaks are fantastic and the mushroom soup is the business!! But, if there is a Portofino on the ship, I would always reserve that instead ...... hey who am I kidding, I'd reserve both!!!:)

BTW - RCI - get rid of Giovanni's on Allure and replace it with Portofino's!!

I loved Chops, we ate there on our cruise this past November and have it booked for our cruise in September. The food is way better than the MDR and if you go, GET THE SHRIMP/CRAB CAKES APPETIZER!!! I would pay $25 just to go in there and eat those...they are awesome!! :D

We always thought we weren't paying additional to eat on the ship when there are so many options in the dining room. Well, we tried Chops and loved it and even booked another night! We mentioned it to someone who said their friends had the same attitude about not paying more--- well, they tried it and went along with their friends and loved it so much they booked it several more nights! The food and service is superb.

I wore sport coat over casual dress shirt, no tie and that seemed to be the norm for guys. We liked Portofino better but there's a lot more variety of steak at Chops.

Chops Menu ( from RCI site)

Don't drool on the keyboard. ;)

Well, that might be an option to bringing down the whole suit thing.

PS I drooled. :eek:

I wore sport coat over casual dress shirt, no tie and that seemed to be the norm for guys. We liked Portofino better but there's a lot more variety of steak at Chops.

Chops Menu ( from RCI site)

Don't drool on the keyboard. ;)

Thanks for that menu link! Reservation is made and you owe me a keyboard....For causing me to drool on it! :D

my opionion of chops is it's fantastic! I would go every night if my DH would let me. yes it costs more, but I think of it as a frill and love cruising enough that to keep the costs down the food quality might be a lot less because of the cost. if a couple went 6 nights it would be $300 for those nights. that seems great to me!

Sorry about the keyboards. :D

I agree on the cost thing and the "why pay extra" attitudes. My parents, who are payig for next cruise (there goes the inheritance:)) are really sticklers for not paying "extra" for anything. I've already mentioned the Serenade has both Chops and Portofino but they really want to just do MDR because, "that's good enough and already paid for."

Thing is I was going to try to get my two brothers and their wives to maybe set a schedule where we can take Mom & Dad "out" (and pay for them) as couples on three nights. Not only does this give us one-on-one couple time with them but also rotate with the other brother and wife in the MDR. And four nights all together as a group. For about the cost of taking them to Applebees or similar we get a great meal in a quiet elegant setting. Also a great way to thank them for the trip. I think after the first night they would be hooked.

Maybe I should show them the menus too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We have only cruised with Royal Caribbean once and that was on Granduer of the Sea but we have cruised alot with Disney. Disney Cruise lines has Palo's an adult only, pay as you dine, reservations only, dining option. My DH and I love it at Palo, the service is always outstanding, the food is just out of this world. They offer a brunch that is to die for and a High Tea, O.K. enough praising them.

My question is when dining at Chops Grill can you request more than one entree, I've noticed while reading the few reviews I've seen that no one says they tried the Salmon, the Filet and the Lamb.

And I've read that the $25. pp charge includes the tip too, is that true?

I'm sure the food is so much better because the chief is cooking for a few people at one time he's not cooking in mess quantities.

Thanks to all!

The food is what USED to be served in the MDR, without an extra charge! Yes...it's good. Is it worth an extra $40-$50 for 2? Try it, and see!

The fee does include the tip. It actually IS the tip!

Here we go again.........:rolleyes::rolleyes: