Seattle Hotels ?

jnc411

love2cruiseseattle

Hi, hope you can help me out with a few questions.

We'll be in Seattle this July and I was wondering which hotel you would suggest out of the two we were considering so far. Basically we'll be there a day prior to a cruise and won't have a car but want to be able to walk to Pike's Market area and the Space Needle, and shopping area.

Would you choose either the Warwick or the Hilton Seattle on 6th Ave. and why? Any help or information you can share would be greatly appreciated. If you feel another hotel would be better please let me know.

We were in Seattle years ago and stayed at a place called The Stouffer Madison Hotel which was in a good area, has that been changed to another hotel chain?

Thanks.

love2cruiseseattle:

One more question.

I got a great rate at the Silver Chord Inn in Lake Union and with their shuttle service it's a great deal. Would you suggest there? Is it a good hotel or is one of the previous two I mentioned above better?

Thanks once again.

SF

I believe the Stouffer Madison hotel that you are refering to is now Renaissance Seattle Hotel which is at 515 Madison Street, it is now a Marriott property. I will start with your first question, I have not stayed at either the Warwick or the Hilton (I would check various websites for reviews). Both hotels are in the downtown location, the Warick is a few blocks north of the main shopping district, the Hilton is in the heart of downtown. But as I have said before, we have a good bus system and Seattle is a pretty safe city. I think I would pick the hotel that you can get the best rate at.

The Silver Cloud is located across the street from Lake Union, if you do decide to stay there try to get a lake view, I have driven by the hotel and the rooms that are not on the lake side have a view of other businesses and back streets. This hotel is located across the street from many different hotels and is probably about 1-2 miles from the Seattle Center. But I would either catch the bus or a taxi to downtown.

Most of the hotels that I have previously listed are all great places to stay. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One other question for you, when in July will you be hear? 4th of July? lots of firework displays that go on in Seattle.

Where are you sailing to on the Radiance? and where are you sailing to and which ship when you come to Seattle?

love2cruiseseattle

Hi, thanks for your help. It's so hard trying to make a reservation not knowing what area when you are out of town. I believe we are leaning towards the Silver Cloud so far as we will only be in town for one night as a pre-cruise. We sail on the 3rd of July on the Sapphire to Alaska so unfortunately we'll miss the fireworks unless they have them Sunday evening. If so that would be great to view from the ship!!!!!!!!! As for a lake view we won't be in the room until late the night of the 2nd. Even though we get in early that day we'll be out sightseeing so a view isn't really impt. to us but I have heard their lake rooms are great. All the other hotels I've called are in the $160-190 range which is high if we are only going to be using the room for a few hours and to shower. The Silver Cloud has gotten great reviews on line plus it is reasonable and they have a shuttle that will take us around and it includes breakfast so we are hoping it will be ok. Have you read any reviews or do you have any thoughts on that hotel? Thanks for the hotel links and the name of the old hotel we stood at. I'll give them a call to check out prices.

As for Radiance we are sailing to the Caribbean. Believe it's the Eastern cruise.

One more question, do you know anything about the Experience Music Project (EMP)? If so, is it worth the money and can you tell me more about it?

Your help is really appreciated and thanks for taking the time to get me the links.

SF

SF

I think if you are getting a good rate at the Silver Cloud I would go with that hotel. It is not a really old hotel, I think it was built within the last 8 years??As I have said there are many restaurants across the street and in July it will be light out until at least 9:00PM. Even if the shuttle is not available to take downtown there is a bus stop across the street from the hotel and a bus coming from downtown stops right in front of the Silver Cloud. Unfortunately for you Seattle does pop off their fireworks displays on the 4th.

As for EMP, I have never been to it, I know people who have. I hear good reviews, I believe it is a museum that you can spend as much time as you would like to, it is a little spendy for admission though. They do have different exhibits that rotate in and out of it. Check the seattlecenter.com website and there is a EMP link or EMPLIVE.COM. These sites will list the hours and admission prices.

I hope this information helps you out. I hope you have a wonderful Caribbean cruise on the Radiance, I have not been on her, but have seen her when she was here in Seattle, looks like a beautiful ship. We have cruised RCCL for the last 4 cruises, but we are trying out Princess in late October on the Southern Caribbean.

Deb

No I have never booked transfers online. You may want to consider the price, taxi to downtown Seattle is about $25-$30 and the same price back to the airport. Airporter bus which drops you at downtown hotels is about $8-$9 from the airport.

SkiCruiser44

Crown Plaza is located in the heart of downtown, walking distance to shopping, Pike Place Market, waterfront, International District and Pioneer Square. If you are interested in the Seattle Center, you can catch a bus or the monarail. One important thing to mention about downtown Seattle, the city is located on lots of HILLS. The Crown Plaza is at the top of one of those hills. I believe this hotel has gone through a recent renovation. I have not stayed there, check the different travel websites for reviews.

Have a great stay in Seattle and a wonderful cruise, let me know if you need to know anything else.

Golden Princess 10/29/05

Vison of the Seas 10/04

Explorer of the Seas 10/03

Explorer of the Seas 10/02

Enchantment of the Seas 10/01

love2cruiseseattle-

Thanks for the info. I've read good reviews so I think we'll be in a good hotel. Can you recommend a couple of good restaurants in that area - not too pricey but don't have to be cheap - we're looking for good seafood - a place a native would go. I've been to Seattle before - wonderful city. Looking forward to being downtown and close to everything. We'll be a bit tired as we're heading pretty much from the east coast then we'll be heading to Vancouver on Sat to sail on Infinity Sunday.

Thanks for you help.

Kathy

SkiCruiser44-

Seafood recommendations: Elliott's Oyster House (on the waterfront - http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/elliotts/elliotts.html), Cutters Bayhouse (Pike Place Market - http://www.cuttersbayhouse.com), The Brooklyn (downtown at 2nd and University Street), Anthony's Pier 66 & Bell Street Diner (on the waterfront - http://www.anthonys.com), Etta's (Pike Place Market - http://www.tomdouglas.com), Flying Fish (Belltown on 1st Avenue - flyingfishseattle.com)

Palisade Waterfront Restaurant (a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown - great view of Seattle & great food, but pricey - http://www.palisaderestaurant.com). The above Seafood restaurants are in the price range of $20 and up for a meal.

Other than seafood: Union Square Grill (close to the Crowne Plaza - http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/unionsquare/unionsquare.html)

Hope these ideas help, call you hotel and ask the hotel conceige for their recommendations also.

Please let me know if you need any other information. You will also enjoy Vancouver, beautiful city with lots to see.

Happy Sailing. ;)

love2cruiseseattle

I did read that the EMP was on the pricey side but it would be a shame not to view it while we were in Seattle so I guess I'll have to cough up the dough. We will also have a lot of time the day we return from the cruise so we are booking a room and dropping off our luggage and checking out the sights we missed prior to the cruise. Figure we can sightsee come back and relax and then have a late dinner before heading to the airport for an overnight flight. Beats seating at the airport all day or driving around and leaving our luggage in a rental car. Do you have any suggestions on hotels that give discounted rates for a day room or half a day rate? If I have to I'll pay regular rate but take the cheapest room as we won't be sleeping there.

Yes, Radiance is a lovely ship. We haven't been on her before but we have sailed her sister ships (Jewel and Brilliance). What Princess ship are you taking for your Southern Caribbean cruise? If I can help you out with any information as a return favor let me know. We sail with Princess often. I assume you'll be leaving out of San Juan?

I'm going to check out the Renaissance rate and the Roosevelt isn't to bad either so we have several options if we decide not to stay at the Silver Cloud. I know my family wanted to see a Seattle Mariners game but they'll be out of town the day we return and the game is too early the day we arrive so we'll probably just take a tour of the stadium if time allows.

Thanks again. Your help to all of us on the board is appreciated. It's always best to get advice from someone who lives in that area. :)

SF

I do not know of any hotels that do 1/2 days, I would call around or check some of the travel websites. Check with whatever hotel you decide to stay with on baggage holding for your return day. The Roosevelt is located in the heart of downtown Seattle and I have heard nice things about it.

We are sailing out of San Juan in late October on our first Princess cruise aboard the Golden. We have sailed on RCCL the past 4 years and wanted to try a different line. We will be doing the Classic Southern, visiting ports of Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas and St. Marteen. We are flying into San Juan the day before and staying at the Marriott, which I have read good reviews on. Any suggestions on any excursions for any of the ports we will be visiting? I do not swim :eek: So probably no dolphin swimming or snorkling. Or any other information you think would be useful will be much appreciated.

Thank You.

love2cruiseseattle

Yes, the Silver Cloud hotel will hold our luggage the first day until the room is ready and we can just take their shuttle and come back later. Same upon our return so we'll have the whole day to get in any last minute shopping or touring.

You will like the Golden Princess. I've sailed on her twice and her sister ship the Grand 3 times. I love that size ship and Princess has many shipboard activities like trivia, line dancing etc... As for St. Thomas and St. Maarten you can do the sightseeing on your own and not spend the prices the ship tours cost. Just rent a taxi when you get off at the dock area and they'll take you all around St. Maarten. St. Maarten is Dutch and French and you'll be docking on the Dutch side. We like the French side better especially the outdoor flea market. St. Thomas has many beautiful beaches but if you don't swim you'll probably prefer to take a city tour. Same goes here, do it on your own and hire a taxi.

St. Thomas has Drake's seat which has a beautiful lookout area at the top of the mountain and you can get some super pictures. Coral World is there but I haven't been there. They also have the skyride right in town that takes you to the top of the mountain but it's kind of expensive. You're better off in my opinion to just get your taxi driver to take you to the look out area.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I haven't been to two of the other islands you mention and I was in Barbados so many years ago I really don't remember it.

Hope some of this information helped. If you have any other questions let me know.

SF

Thanks for the information, we have been to both St. Marteen and St. Thomas 3 yrs ago and did the tour in St. Thomas, but just shopped and went to the beach in St. Marteen. We may have to try the French side and the flea market, we love to shop;) .

One other items about Seattle, check the weather to see if you will need to bring your umbrella.

Let me know if you need any other questions answered.

love2cruiseseattle

Yes, we definitely plan on bringing our umbrellas and ponchos. Not only for Seattle but for Alaska too as I remember it can rain a lot there as well.

If you haven't been to the French side in St. Maarten then you should definitely check it out. We got some nice swim cover ups and caribbean shirts at a great price.

ripleysmom

Glad to be of help. The Silver Cloud sounds like a nice place and its had great reviews plus the continental breakfast and the shuttle are a big bonus. When do you plan to be there? Maybe if it's prior to our visit you could post on the boards and let us know how you enjoyed it.

SF

I plan on visiting the French side of the island. Thanks for the suggestion.

SkiCruiser44

I think you will enjoy Elliott's. I go there often for lunch and the food and service is always great. I have tried the salmon, crab chowder, crab sandwich and salads and they have all been very good. Elliott's is right at the waterfront, walk outside the front door of the Crowne Plaza and it is downhill from there, about 7 blocks. Depending on how much you eat, you may want to catch a taxi back uphill:rolleyes: , the hills are pretty steep. Also an FYI for you the taxi rates in Seattle have just gone up. According to the local paper the fare increase would raise the minimum initial charge from $1.80 to $2.50 and the per-mile rate from a $1.80 to $2.

Hope this info helps you out, let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived