Seattle Hotels ?

jnc411

Hi , posting this for my daughter and girlfriends. They will be in Seattle in June for a few days pre cruise, and are looking for a nice hotel but on a budget. When I was there last Sept. we stayed a Silver Cloud Lake Union , which was I thought a bargin on Hotwire. But price looks like it has gone up some. Is there any area that they should not look in regarding being safe for single women alone. Do you have any recommendations for something nice but reasonably priced. Right now they are looking at Downtown, Seattle Center (SpaceNeedle) and Lake Union. They figure they should be able to get around with shuttles and public transport and not have to rent a car that way. Any suggestions from those of you familiar with Seattle ? Thank You.

Cori

The Sea Tac area is NOT close to the downtown area. If the girls want to spend time downtown at the Market, restaurants and clubs (highly recommended) you may want to look into hotels downtown -- Hilton, Marriott, Westin, etc. The taxi fares are high in Seattle so they would end up spending a lot to get back and forth from Sea Tac to downtown if they stay at Sea Tac ($25 each way) so factor that amount into where they decide to stay. Sea Tac is the airport area and not much going on other than airport hotels.

Let me know if you have other quest. or need more details on downtown hotels.

We stayed at the airport Hilton last summer prior to our cruise. It was nice and comfortable for us. They had a shuttle service to the hotels that would take you to the market and port areas for a very reasonable price. Once downtown, it was easy to get to the places we desired to eat and shop. Saved a lot by staying at the airport area.

Hi, that sounds interesting , that is the first I have heard about a shuttle from the airport hotels to down town, was it advertised on the Hilton or Sheraton web site ? because if they can get an inexpensive shuttle to downtown they can then get around down there. Do you remember how much it cost, ?? thanks for the help everyone :)

Cori

We got the Doubletree at SEATAC for $37 on Priceline - Mid May - Post Cruise - I also understood there is a bus to downtown...

Some have posted they didn't like the Doubletree - but for the price I don't see how it can be beat! For us it's only one night after the cruise - and w/a free shuttle to the airport early the next morning it sould be very convenient! They posted to ask for a TOWER room....that was OK ---not in the "wings"....

GotTocruise (aka Renee)

I am a Seattle native and there are many nice hotels. I am only recommending the ones that I have heard are nice. I would check some of the various travel website for specific hotel reviews.

I would say Seattle is relatively safe and very easy to get around. We have a very good bus system and ther are many nice hotels in the downtown area. Around Lake Union there is the Residence Inn Seattle Downtown Lake Union, Silver Cloud and Marriott Courtyard.

In downtown many of the hotels that are nice are The Roosevelt, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin, The Mayflower, Renaissance Seattle Hotel, Crowne Plaza Seattle, The Paramount Hotel a Coast Hotel, Sorrento Hotel, Warwick Hotel, SpringHill Suites by Marriott Seattle Downtown, Hotel Vintage Park, Hilton Seattle, Red Lion on Fifth Avenue.

On the waterfront or within one block - Seattle Waterfront Marriott, The Alexis Hotel and The Edgewater Inn.

Close to the Seattle Center - Comfort Suites Downtown Seattle Center, Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle-Downtown

All of the downtown hotels are within walking distance of the shopping area, Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square and the waterfront.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the great list of hotels and locations. This will be a great help. We were trying to check out the hotels on tr***locity to see what the reviews from people were ,but that was slow going, so I appreciate the help.

Cori

I do believe all of the hotels that I listed are nice. I have only been in the Alexis, Edgewater and Waterfront Marriott and they were nice, but can be pricey depending on the time of year.

Also there is a airport shuttle http://graylineseattle.com/airportexpress.cfm that goes from the Seattle airport to many hotels in the downtown area. One way to downtown is about $8.50, taxis are about $25-$30 to downtown.

I have not heard of hotels shuttling people from hotels at the airport to downtown? I would contact the hotels close to the airport to confirm that. If you have not been to Seattle I would say spend a little bit more and stay in downtown, the Seattle Center is about 1-2 miles to the north and is a nice walk, most of the sights you will want to see are walking distance or a quick bus ride as I have said the bus service is great http://transit.metrokc.gov/ here is their web site.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I agree with Seattlecruisers. All of the hotels that are listed are good hotels. There is also the Hotel Monaco or the Landmark which is nice and directly downtown. Do NOT stay at the airport hotels, it is too far away, have the girls get one of the local hotels and pay 25.00 for a taxi then they are in town and can walk to just about everything. Another great website to get information from is http://www.nwsource.com and it has all sorts of restaurants and hotel info. If you try to save money by staying at the airport you will miss a lot of what Seattle has to offer. It is a safe city and has lots to do.

Let me know if there are any specific things you need help with and I'll see what I can do.

I'd steer clear of the Springhill Suites Downtown only because it's not really close to anything even though it says it's downtown. It's right by several office bldgs but not much else.

I looked some hotels up and here are some that fall into similar price ranges in more desired locations:

Roosevelt $129 -- downtown and shopping

Homewood Suites by Hilton $109 -- waterfront area and good location for both waterfront/downtown and walking to Seattle Center

Renaissance $139 -- downtown and shopping

There are lots in the $150 range as well.

Let me know if you have other ques.

Thanks dst and seattlecruisers for your answers. My concern about Springhill Suites is that even though it is called downtown that it may not be in the most convenient location. Thanks for confirming that. Seattlecruisers, you are so kind to look up the hotels that you think would be good choices. I really appreciate it. I will check out those hotels on your list. I'm sure I will have more questions as we plan our trip to Seattle.

I wouldn't recommend the airport hotels either. Not the best part of town and a group of girls might not be as comfortable there as downtown (although Seattle is generally a pretty safe place) I know I wouldn't be as happy there. I really like the Residence Inn on Lake Union. It's a bit farther away from the downtown area, (closer to the Space Needle) but certainly walkable for most young gals, or as some have mentioned the bus system is great. The little kitchen would be nice too since they'll be there a few days.

Thanks so much for all the good information and seattlecruiser , thank you for looking up all those hotels , the Homewood is closest to there price range , so they are going to check that out. And yes they have been looking at the Residence Inn and Silver Cloud at Lake Union as well. I know they are going to have a great time. They travel somewhere every summer and always have a lot of fun. Anyway I really appreciate all the good help.

Cori

We love Red Lion on Fifth Avenue. We stay there for weekends in Seattle, close to everything downtown. Out by the airport is ugly, and nothing to see or do. Your girls will love being in town, the consierge at the Red Lion is very helpful. We held a large dinner party there and the staff bent over backwards to help us and our suite was fabulous! We love it there so much we are planning to hold our daughter's wedding there if I can't talk her into a cruise wedding!!:D Good luck, you can't go wrong staying downtown!

You may want to check with a travel agent to see if you can get good pricing on some downtown hotels. I know the travel agent we use does not charge a fee for booking hotels and a lot of times they have special negotiated prices. The Homewood Suites is close to the Seattle Center, but about 1 mile from downtown. The location of the Red Lion on 5th Avenue is a very good location in downtown, but about 1-2 miles to the Seattle Center, but you can always catch the monarail, it is back running now.

Good Luck, August in Seattle will be beautiful.

Archived