Travel documents question

Hi,

When doing a domestic loop cruise I know we need our birth certificates and drivers licenses. My question is I am married and the last name on the birth certificate is now the middle name on my license. Do I need to bring my marriage certificate or am I okay with what I have.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi,

When doing a domestic loop cruise I know we need our birth certificates and drivers licenses. My question is I am married and the last name on the birth certificate is now the middle name on my license. Do I need to bring my marriage certificate or am I okay with what I have.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Nancy. Yes, it's me, your friendly TA. I was just checking the boards and there was your post. You're going to get a lot of different answers (I would expect). And many are going to say that you will be fine and they won't ask for it to show the link between your BC and your license.

I really think that you're better off if you have the marriage license showing the link, even if you're using your maiden name as your middle name on your DL. I know you're having trouble finding it, but I really think it would be better to have it and not need it, then to call me from the pier and say they won't let you board.

Since 9/11, Homeland Security has imposed tighter requirements regarding documentation for passengers. I really don't want you to have trouble trying to board.

I'm assuming you haven't found the license yet?

I just did a search and found this thread link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1166445&highlight=travel+documents

Take a look at this and read all of the posts. There is quite a discrepency about whether you need the ML or not...however, my feeling is, if there has been even one case of someone denied boarding because the agent asks for the ML and they don't have it, that is enough reason to bring it.

I know you're having a tough time finding it, but will you be able to get over to the county office and get another copy? I really don't want you to have any issues with boarding given that this is the big anniversary trip.

Hi,

Thanks,

Nancy

the best thing really is a passport. if you miss the ship you will need it to re-enter the country.

I had the same exact thing with my papers years ago.

Bring it with you. ;)

This happened to me many years ago long before 9/11.

I was told at the check in counter they would let me out of the US, but, they might not let me back in if I had not brought that marriage license with me. (They were very serious about it)

When I returned from that trip, I immediately applied for my passport and I have never had to worry or carry all or those papers again.

Hi,

Thanks,

Nancy

Please please please do yourself a big favor and get a Passport!!! This will last (hummm??) 15 yrs and your never have to worry again! Sooner or later we are more than likely all gonna need one anyway...this will give you many stress free vacations in the future....

Happy cruising!!

Please please please do yourself a big favor and get a Passport!!! This will last (hummm??) 15 yrs and your never have to worry again! Sooner or later we are more than likely all gonna need one anyway...this will give you many stress free vacations in the future....

Happy cruising!!

PS you are still gonna need that marriage cert....in order to get the passport!:rolleyes:

I would say get the marriage license. I had misplaced mine and it was quick painless trip to get another copy. From my perspective if there is a 1% chance of me not being able to get on the ship because I didn't have it, that's too much of a risk for me.

BTW, I do agree with the others here, just get a passport and you won't have to worry about this or many other issues.

As Nancy's TA, I can tell you she has an expired passport, as does her husband. They are independent business owners, who do not have the opportunity to travel very much, as they cannot leave their business unattended for long periods.

I too would prefer they have passports, but given the amount of use it would get and the cost factor, it might not make sense for them to do so at this time. So I am giving them the best advice I can under the circumstances.

I also believe, as you can see from my posts above, that it's better to have the ML with her in case they ask and find they don't, then to not bring it and find they want it.

As Nancy's TA, I can tell you she has an expired passport, as does her husband. They are independent business owners, who do not have the opportunity to travel very much, as they cannot leave their business unattended for long periods.

I too would prefer they have passports, but given the amount of use it would get and the cost factor, it might not make sense for them to do so at this time. So I am giving them the best advice I can under the circumstances.

I also believe, as you can see from my posts above, that it's better to have the ML with her in case they ask and find they don't, then to not bring it and find they want it.

seems to me (after reading post #3 that it would be just as easy if not easier to renew the passports.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Right now, I will just get a copy of my marriage liciense next week. I may need it some later, but for right now, I do not leave the country enough to justify a passport. Hopefully when I retire in 15 or 20 years I will need it again.

Happy cruising!!

10 years.

I don't remember needing my marriage certificate when we applied for our passports. :confused:

The woman needs it if she changed her name after marrying...it will document the name at birth to the change of name for the passport....Marriage Cert also needs to be an official one issued by a govt (county etc) and not the church certificate...so it will have some sort of official seal on it...a photo copy will not work....my DD just went thru this to renew her passport and change to her married name.

Archived