Butler service on Regent Navigator - Worth the added cost? True benefits?

Hi there,

We are considering booking the RSSC Navigator 33-night combo = leaving Vancouver 31 August 2011, going to Alaska for 12 nights and then doing the 21 Night Panama Canal departing San Francisco on 12 September 2011 and eventually ending up in New York. A long time to be on board!

Is an upgrade from Cat D to Cat C (which includes butler service) worth it? The Cat D cabin is already quite pricy. What exactly will the butler service include? Is it worth an extra $1,500? RSSC brochures and most websites are a bit unclear as to the extent of the service.

Thanks for any advice!

I've only had a butler twice, and in general I think they are not worth it. But they're nice to have, and perhaps on a long voyage it would be worth it. Our last trip was 14 days and our butler was very nice. He brought us our pressed and cleaned clothing, our canapes, took care of room service deliveries and issues with the suite. He was a smiling and eager face who would provide help when needed.

So, with identical cabins, no, not worth it.

Here are a couple of things you could consider. First, the Penthouse suites on Navigator are identical in size and layout to the non-butler suites, so the only advantage you get is the butler him/herself with whatever added services. Second (perhaps because of this fact) on our Navigator cruise we (and, from reading on this board, many others) were offered upgrades to Penthouse suites for $500 (this was on a 10-night cruise) - considerably less than the sticker price. We didn't consider it worth the extra $500 -- as one wag put it, the butler would have to shine a lot of shoes to justify spending $500.

On an all-inclusive line the butler probably isn't worth as much as it would be if you were cruising a different line where your butler can score you dining reservations, etc. On the wonderful Regent line, all of the staff caters to your every whim so the extra $1500 would probably be better spent on souvenirs and things during your trip (personally with that money I'd get a massage twice a week for the duration but, hey, we all have our vices!:p)

I agree that a butler suite is not worth it on the Navigator (although the butlers are good at getting dining reservations). The butler suites are much larger on the Mariner and a bit larger on the Voyager. However, with the exception of delivering appetizers which you probably won't be hungry for at 5:00 p.m. and making dining reservations, there is little added value to having one. Your Stewardess can take of just about anything you need.

I have only ever had a butler suite once (an upgrade). If I had had to pay $1500 per person for it, it would not have been worth it. Our butler was a very nice attentive young man, but I wouldn't pay extra for him.

I think a lot of people who do Regent air book the butler suites to get the business air included. If we didn't do our own air, that would certainly factor in and probably would be more worth it.

I have only ever had a butler suite once (an upgrade). If I had had to pay $1500 per person for it, it would not have been worth it. Our butler was a very nice attentive young man, but I wouldn't pay extra for him.

I think a lot of people who do Regent air book the butler suites to get the business air If we didn't do our own air, that would certainly factor in and probably would be more worth it.

That is precisely why we upgraded to a butler suite. Regent is providing our air so to get business class to Stockholm, we chose the upgrade. I really don't think we'll make much use of his services as one person said, (5:00 is a bit early for us to be eating appetizers) after having a wonderful lunch onboard and I don't want to lose our appetite for a fantastic dinner. Our stewardess did a wonderful job of taking care of our needs on our Alaskan sailing last summer. Unless you would benefit from the upgrade, I certainly wouldn't get a butler suite.

-- as one wag put it, the butler would have to shine a lot of shoes to justify spending $500.

On Voyager and Mariner there is a shoe cleaning service irrespective of whether you have a butler. Though I have never sailed on Navigator, I suspect it is the same on her. Just put your shoes outside the door at night and they will be there, cleaned and polished next morning with a pleasant little note inside, thanking you for using their service.

I recall someone said , when hearing this, that she would be wandering around looking for size 5 Manolo Blahniks in future!

We have had a butler on all our cruises with the exception of the first one (Alaska 2004) and the last one (Mediterranean, this year). I love the services the butler can provide. These have included: arranging special meals for us; arranging a wonderful birthday party; getting us all the reservations in the "speciality" restaurants we wanted or asked for; providing extra ironing services; getting our laundry back the same day for no additional cost - I could go on. However a good stewardess can handle some of these for you. Maybe not the dinners and the reservations though.

Having a butler to sort things out makes me feel spoilt and I like that! (Precious little elsewhere does this!!) However a butler is not indispenable. All that said however - I have upgraded our booking on our Navigator cruise in January to include a Butler, even though the suite (PHC) has the same dimensions as the one I had previously booked. And on that score - on our last Nav. cruise we had a Navigator Suite on Deck 9. It was OK but the bedroom was very small and the sitting/dining room not enormous.

Archived