Silver Cloud August 13

duct tape

We have all managed to find each other. Nice folks. Have't posted much since we have been hanging around more than exploring and icing my toes! They are a bother. Leith yesterday. Most folks went into Edinburgh. We went to the Fallkirk Wheel, an engineering marvel, that connects 2 canals that are about 110 ft. at different levels. The "wheel"

is a gian scoop that holds boats on opposite scoops and rotates just like a ferris wheel! Very interesting and lots of fun. Invergordon today, dam, rainy and chilly, but HEY! it is Scotland. We too the bus to Inverness and had a nice stroll around the old Vistorian Market and then lunch on the river atr a nice cafe. More ice now and then off to trivia. All is well here. Interesting guests aboard, lots of folks froma wide range of countries: Japan, Russia, Ukraine, allthe usual European countries; a lot of first timers also. Dress Code this evening Casual with the following attachment: NO SHORTS!

We have all managed to find each other. Nice folks. Have't posted much since we have been hanging around more than exploring and icing my toes! They are a bother. Leith yesterday. Most folks went into Edinburgh. We went to the Fallkirk Wheel, an engineering marvel, that connects 2 canals that are about 110 ft. at different levels. The "wheel"

is a gian scoop that holds boats on opposite scoops and rotates just like a ferris wheel! Very interesting and lots of fun. Invergordon today, dam, rainy and chilly, but HEY! it is Scotland. We too the bus to Inverness and had a nice stroll around the old Vistorian Market and then lunch on the river atr a nice cafe. More ice now and then off to trivia. All is well here. Interesting guests aboard, lots of folks froma wide range of countries: Japan, Russia, Ukraine, allthe usual European countries; a lot of first timers also. Dress Code this evening Casual with the following attachment: NO SHORTS!

THANKS, duct tape, for the update, details and other info on your current Silver Cloud adventure! Keep it coming!!! We'll want to know how this group matches up to our July 1-16 group. Hopefully, we're still the "CHAMPS!". The posting below is nearly up to 15,000 views. Lots of interest in our adventures with you and the others along the Norway Coast. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi ducttape! Sorry to hear bout your toes. Guess you won't be be able to dance on the tables.:D What is the situation with the kids? How many and are they human? Glad the Cloud is trying to enforce the dress code. Have a great time and have a glass of Pommery for me.:)

Glad the Cloud is trying to enforce the dress code.

They certainly do enforce the dress code. We were on Cloud last week and an elderly gentleman was sent back to his cabin for his jacket. He had thought it was casual but in fact it was informal.

Most people were very smartly dressed whatever the dress code of the day.

We haven't heard from duct tape in a number of days and wanted to make sure that the volcano in Iceland did not take you hostage . . . OR . . . swallow up you folks. How's it going? The toe? We also want to know how these Silver Cloud cruise passengers match up to our great July 1-16 group. Keep us posted!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

HI! We have been out of communication for days at a time. Wind, seas, etc. Every one has been rather pleasant about it though. I think everyone understands where we were going. The North Atlantic is like that! I could do with less rain, sleet and wind tho'! The pool is adequately heated but it is too hard to get out! We arrived in Reykavik today and it is a glorious day...almost 55 and sunny! Captain Pontillo debarked and Captain Luige Rotigliano is aboard. Nice guy. All of our ports so far in the Shetlands, the Faroes and Iceland, have been beautiful to spite the weather. All the Russian and French children (ugh) debarked today also and it looks like we only a few preteens and 1 infant. Let's hope it improves. Our guide in Thorshavn, Faroes, was an expat American who has been here 15 years...she said we had a perfect summer day...45 and overcast. The sightseeing is all about the mountains, fjords, thermal springs, lava fields, streams, trout fishermen and waterfalls. The fish (arctic char) is excellent. Doug Hope also for off today and we have a new Chef, German fella, will let you know. Well, i better go before we lose the internet. We sail shortly!

HI! We have been out of communication for days at a time. Wind, seas, etc. Every one has been rather pleasant about it though. I think everyone understands where we were going. The North Atlantic is like that! I could do with less rain, sleet and wind tho'! The pool is adequately heated but it is too hard to get out! We arrived in Reykavik today and it is a glorious day...almost 55 and sunny! Captain Pontillo debarked and Captain Luige Rotigliano is aboard. Nice guy. All of our ports so far in the Shetlands, the Faroes and Iceland, have been beautiful to spite the weather. All the Russian and French children (ugh) debarked today also and it looks like we only a few preteens and 1 infant. Let's hope it improves. Our guide in Thorshavn, Faroes, was an expat American who has been here 15 years...she said we had a perfect summer day...45 and overcast. The sightseeing is all about the mountains, fjords, thermal springs, lava fields, streams, trout fishermen and waterfalls. The fish (arctic char) is excellent. Doug Hope also for off today and we have a new Chef, German fella, will let you know. Well, i better go before we lose the internet. We sail shortly!

THANKS, duct tape, for the update and great details! Sorry to hear you are losing BOTH, Captain Pontillo and Executive Chet Douglas Hope. We loved both of them on our Norway Coast cruise last month. Seems like challenging weather. Below are pictures on both the Captain and the Chef. Keep us posted as your travels progress. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here is the Silver Cloud Captain, Mino Pontillo, left, along with the guide pilot from Norway (top) and two staff assistants on the port bridge as were getting ready to dock in Honningsvaag. They looked up and smiled nicely when I asked. As we watched several docking and departures, along with his excellent work around the North Cape, you are super impressed with his skills. I watched these dockings with a retired US Navy Captain who had been second in command at the US Naval Academy. This fellow passenger was amazed at this Silversea Captain’s abilities and dedication.:

CloudCaptainGuiding.jpg

Before the start of the buffet lunch in the galley area, Chef Douglas Hope poses in front a small sampling the treats in the serving area in the main kitchen. Having the buffet in the galley allows a behind-the-scene viewing of this large area where all of the work happens to prepare the many foods, do the dishes, etc.

CloudBuffetChefHope.jpg

I think I've seen that photo several times before.

Guilty as charged! Just sharing for those who didn't know what these two fine Silversea Super Stars looked like when they were working.

A beautiful, sunny, almost warm day in Isafjordur. Off to the Maritime Museum and will try and find some local shellfish. About 190 on board, quiet and peaceful.

THANKS, duct tape, for the update! Only 190 passengers? That means more crew and staff members than the number of passengers. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I think there are more crew than guests! That's OK, they can use a break. Today is another beautiful, sunny, WARM (49) day in Akureyri. Walked around and had Icelandic lobsters for lunch in the town. Small and sweet...the lobsters as well as the town! Off to a new port tomorrow, where we are doing a flight-seeing trip...hope for good weather!!

Duct Tape, I have read so many of your posts and excellent advice on CC and have only just found out you are a lady??? Pat in Glasgow (female, Patricia, not Patrick!!)

Appreciate the added updates from duct tape. I can't comment on the identity question. I have plenty of pictures and complete details. BUT, I was sworn to secrecy while on board the Silver Cloud!!! Gotta to protect those innocents in the "WITNESS PROTECTION" program.

Patricia, yes, I am woman and I do hope I am a lady!! Thanx. Or flight -seeing got cancelled this morning after we got ashore! Oh well. It looks OK to me but the pilot knows best. Liar's Club last night was quite a bit of fun...I got drafted and managed to get some votes...maybe it had something to do with the fact that I handed out points to whomever voted for me!! Another sunny, bright day in the small village of Husavik, Iceland!

Patricia, yes, I am woman and I do hope I am a lady!! Thanx. Or flight -seeing got cancelled this morning after we got ashore! Oh well. It looks OK to me but the pilot knows best. Liar's Club last night was quite a bit of fun...I got drafted and managed to get some votes...maybe it had something to do with the fact that I handed out points to whomever voted for me!! Another sunny, bright day in the small village of Husavik, Iceland!

YES, I will confirm that duct tape is not only a "lady", but a very "CLASSY LADY"! PLUS, super, super smart. If involved in trivia, you really want to be on her team. She's wonderfully good and thinks through the various twists with those complicated questions!

THANKS for the updates on your trip! How long will you be on the Silver Cloud? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Sorry, patnlcc, we wil be on the Shadow. So, today we are in eastern Iceland, Seydisfjordur (spelling was a Trivia question today!). It is a charming village of 800 people with a lovely little blue church, totally painted in various shades and decorated in blue. I think it is the color they would like the sky to be! The scenery continues to be spectacular and dramatic. Today it is 45 and gray, not too windy. The local guide says this is the best weather they have had in weeks!!

Sorry, patnlcc, we wil be on the Shadow. So, today we are in eastern Iceland, Seydisfjordur (spelling was a Trivia question today!). It is a charming village of 800 people with a lovely little blue church, totally painted in various shades and decorated in blue. I think it is the color they would like the sky to be! The scenery continues to be spectacular and dramatic. Today it is 45 and gray, not too windy. The local guide says this is the best weather they have had in weeks!!

THANKS for updates, duct tape! Us "junkies" are seeking to be "feed" again. How's the new staff doing? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

duct tape; met you in March; just curious; how many day:confused:s at sea do you go on a year?

Just a few minutes ago, heard from Mike (Rally) and Mary (Love@Cruise) and they are having an incredible time on the Cloud..so much so, they extended for a total of 29 days on the Cloud..guess u could say they are on Silversea Cloud Nine...hope we hear from them soon.

Just a few minutes ago, heard from Mike (Rally) and Mary (Love@Cruise) and they are having an incredible time on the Cloud..so much so, they extended for a total of 29 days on the Cloud..guess u could say they are on Silversea Cloud Nine...hope we hear from them soon.

Great to hear!!! Hopefully, you, they and/or duct tape will share all of the details, etc.

Yup, Mike & Mary are going to stay with us until London again. We are at sea again today on our way back to Iceland from the Faroe Islands. It was a glorious day there, even tho' it was Sunday and nothing was open. Everybody just walked around in the sun and admired the beauty of the area. It is a little bumpy and lumpy and I guess it is due to whatever remains of that hurricane that came up off the east coast. We are due in Haiemay tomorrow, we'll see!

Archived