Ruby Princess Anytime Dining

chrisxmoa

i was concerned about the anytime dining option on princess as i have been going through these forums.

i just wanted to see if anytime dining is that bad. also another thing i'd like to point out is that i will be reserving a table for 2 all the time. i do not like the idea of having to sit amongst strangers during my meal as a personal preference. has anybody out there done this is as well ?

another thing i'd like to point out is that regarding the table for 2, i've heard that these tables are very close together and its almost like you really do not have any privacy whatsoever.

has anybody done the table for 2 reservations ? and what is the best way to go about this.

i was concerned about the anytime dining option on princess as i have been going through these forums.

i just wanted to see if anytime dining is that bad. also another thing i'd like to point out is that i will be reserving a table for 2 all the time. i do not like the idea of having to sit amongst strangers during my meal as a personal preference. has anybody out there done this is as well ?

another thing i'd like to point out is that regarding the table for 2, i've heard that these tables are very close together and its almost like you really do not have any privacy whatsoever.

has anybody done the table for 2 reservations ? and what is the best way to go about this.

Just ask for a table for two at the entrance. They are very close together, almost like a table for six.

Good Luck!

We did anytime dining on the Ruby. It was nice and easy. We liked their system.

I have seen reviews from folks who didn't like it, but we never waited and always had a choice of any kind of table we wanted. I'm sure the trick is going early, we always went to dinner just before 7:00 (rush hour).

Now about the table for 2.... one night, I made them move us 3 times, because they first tried to sit us next to a server prep station. So I asked for another table and they put us right in the middle of floor in a major traffic area. So I asked to be moved again and we got a nice quite table. I thougt it was funny, but you have to speak-up if you aren't happy.

I never thought I'd like sitting at a big table with strangers, but after 4 nights of eating alone we tried it, and had a lot of fun. I guess after being with my wife all day long every day for 5 days, it was nice at dinner to sit with some new folks and share stories and new conversation. So don't be afraid to give it a try. (I love my wife and we never run out of stuff to talk about, but its still pretty neat to add a few new people to the mix and enjoy some company).

Some table for 2 can also be part of a larger table. They will take a table for 8 and slide one of its tables away from the rest. Thus creating a table for 2 and a table for 6. These tables are often 6 to 12 inches apart.

The Ruby is our favorite ship. Many of the tables for two are next to each others with a bench on one side and a chair on the other...no privacy. But there are several tables for just two that are very compatable.

We like the table for two because at larger tables, you are served when the table fills and no faster than the slowest eater. Some people like to chew the fat alot instead of chewing their food and can stretch out a dinner to two hours.

We eat early...5;30-6:00pm. on the Ruby last March, Godwin, the head waiter in the Davinci Dining Room saved us a great table for two every night. I don't know if he would have been able to so if it was later...and don't know if he is still on board. We were so pleased it was worth a nice tip at the end of the cruise,

But check with Godwin, or the head waiter on duty, and give him your request.

While the tables for two are really close together, but since they are not joined, you can choose to not make conversation with the people the next to you if that is your choice. We actually met a couple this way, as they were seated next to us on a table for 4 that was split up. At that same table, they had seated us next to this awful couple that was fighting. OMG -- talk about a terrible experience. She finally threw her napkin down on the table and got up and stormed out in the middle of her dinner. He stayed...still very uncomortable for us. Then, we went to the piano bar after dinner and guess they made up. However, they ...along with another couple....kept staring at us and even made a horrible face at us. Call me paranoid, but think they were talking trash about us. Hey...maybe they were embarrassed about their awful behavior at dinner. I don't know, but didn't like it at all. So, now, if we are seated next to something like that....we don't hesitate to request a move. No sense in ruining our experience with rude people sitting right next to you.

We always request a table for 2 on the first day for the entire cruise during dinner since we really don't desire the small talk conversation on cruise ships any longer. We've been there & don't that to many times.

Although the tables are located close to each other, the types of people who request them respect the fact that someone else sitting close by also wanted privacy & normally don't start up conversations other than a brief hello. If they wanted a conversation they would have sat at a large table to begin with.

I had a standing reservation for a 2-top at 8pm every night (this is the Crown) and by 8:30/8:45, the tables around me along the same banquette were beginning to clear out. I was dining alone this trip with a book and chatting with my waiter (we both speak Russian) so I wasn't rushing and by 9ish, I was pretty much alone in the row of tables there. So yes, I'd say going about 8:30, you'd probably in good shape.

Dinner is to 10pm; I wouldn't arrive later than 8:30 myself, only because I don't care to rush through dinner, but people did come in as late as 9. Not many, but some.

Hope this helps.

well that is a sigh of relief, i was incredibly concerned about not being able to obtain privacy during my meal at dinner. the only reason why i stress this soo much was because me and my gf had a terrible experience during a valentines day dinner at a restaurant in manhattan. it was the same scenerio, tables right next to each other. and to top it off there was a very drunk and obnoxious guy slurring and jabbering up a storm. needless to say, i just dont want a repeat especially on a vacay.

all in all, i will most likely show up at 8 30 for dinner.

When we went to Alaska on the Golden last year we had ATD and we had a four top table for two every night, this gave us privacy and the extra room was very nice, i dont like to be seated close to others, nor do i like tiny tables, what are the chances of getting one of these tables on the Ruby/ we usually dine later, around 8 ish.

Thank you!

We did anytime dining on the Ruby. It was nice and easy. We liked their system.

I have seen reviews from folks who didn't like it, but we never waited and always had a choice of any kind of table we wanted. I'm sure the trick is going early, we always went to dinner just before 7:00 (rush hour).

Now about the table for 2.... one night, I made them move us 3 times, because they first tried to sit us next to a server prep station. So I asked for another table and they put us right in the middle of floor in a major traffic area. So I asked to be moved again and we got a nice quite table. I thought it was funny, but you have to speak-up if you aren't happy.

I never thought I'd like sitting at a big table with strangers, but after 4 nights of eating alone we tried it, and had a lot of fun. I guess after being with my wife all day long every day for 5 days, it was nice at dinner to sit with some new folks and share stories and new conversation. So don't be afraid to give it a try. (I love my wife and we never run out of stuff to talk about, but its still pretty neat to add a few new people to the mix and enjoy some company).

I think you got it right...I cruise with the DW and after being with her all day I kinda look forward to meeting/talking to different people at dinner. I have met some really cool people at dinner doing Anytime Dinning.;)

We had anytime dining on our last cruise and thought part of the adventure was sitting with and meeting new people. So, we didn't care whom we sat with and it was great fun. We kept touch with one couple we met at dinner for quite a long time afterwards. One night one woman kept us all entertained with her many travel stories. She was funny and quite delightful. Fortunately, we never got bad dinner companions.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm, well most likely im going to be going at 8 30. i hope that this will help with the situation.

Dinner service will be winding down about that time and they may set you up for 2 at a 4 top table.

Don't worry they will do whatever they can for you. ;)

There just aren't too many places to put a private table for two.

as much as i hate to say it...but i think NCL beats Princess on this.. they were extremely accomodating regarding private dining.

although i dont like NCL very much.

i wonder why Princess chooses to have the table for 2's soo close together ? i find that more uncomfortable than sitting amongst a big table full of strangers

There's only so much space in the DR to dedicate for individual tables & they do the best they can. Even with the tables being close together, people who request tables for 2 are respective that others around them want privacy & don't normally start up conversations as they would at a large table.

Archived