precruise in Edinburg

Thinking of doing a couple three days in Edinburg before taking off for a cruise from Southhampton. Suggestions on best way to get from London airport to Edinburg and Edinburgh back to Southhampton.

Thank you.

PLANE TO EDINBURGH AIRPORT (7 miles from the City Centre)

You can fly directly from London to Edinburgh, prices vary so impossible to predict.

You can also fly directly from Edinburgh to Southampton, although only one airline does this route (FlyBe)

If you fly to Edinburgh you can get the Airport Bus into the city centre, I believe its £3 but that may have changed as I don't really pay attention when I pass them.

TRAIN INTO THE CITY CENTRE - TIME CONSUMING JOURNEY BUT PRETTY CHEAP!

The East Coast train from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh is pretty cheap if you book early enough, you can't book any more than 12 weeks in advance, but book as close to the 12 weeks as you can for the bargain tickets.

As for Edinburgh to Southampton, I just booked recently and the easiest way was:

Edinburgh Waverley - Manchester Piccadilly (Transpennine Trains)

Manchester Piccadilly - Southampton Central (Cross Country Trains)

The cheapest option was only £3 less per ticket but that was very complicated.

Edinburgh to London KX, then cross the road to St Pancras Station and get the train from London Oxford Circus to London Waterloo and finally Waterloo to Southampton.

Such a big hassle for the sake of £3, hence the reason we went via Manchester Piccadilly.

It may be possible to get the London to Edinburgh flight added on to your international flight (depending on who you are flying with). It is usually cheaper than buying a seperate fare and you get your luggage transferred and have the international luggage allowance.

I now prefer to get the train between London and Edinburgh (although often the flight is cheaper). It is a more pleasant experience and if you have luggage to check in and are going city centre to city centre, it actually takes about the same time by train.

I strongly don't recommend the coach. It is the cheapest way but it is a long journey that way.

Suggestions on best way to get from London airport to Edinburg and Edinburgh back to Southhampton.
Usual request: Can you please give us some more details about what you're planning to do? Itinerary, dates, whether you're going to spend any time in London, etc etc.

All of this makes a huge difference to what is "best". Your question is simply incapable of a sensible answer, the way it is at the moment.

Usual request: Can you please give us some more details about what you're planning to do? Itinerary, dates, whether you're going to spend any time in London, etc etc.

All of this makes a huge difference to what is "best". Your question is simply incapable of a sensible answer, the way it is at the moment.

Don't have firm dates yet just "thinking of doing" a precruise in Edinburgh before a cruise.

Thanks to everyone, esp Col1874 and AmoMondo, for their suggestions and advise. This info will head me in the right direction when I have firm dates!

Thanks to everyone, esp Col1874 and AmoMondo, for their suggestions and advise. This info will head me in the right direction when I have firm dates!

No problem - Us Edinburgh folk are always friendly and happy to help :D

I have flown to/from all three airports, using Flybe and Easyjet, can get some very competive fares- BUT, they are very strick on baggage including carry ons. So you do have to be within the guidelines, verify you are.

The train is very easy, I've use East Coast, and my trip in Sept, will be on Virgin, who had the cheapest rates. It pays to do a good search, as rates are ALL over the place. Keep an eye out for specials, and keep checking. At some point, you may be able to pick up fares 10% of the listed rates.

I have flown to/from all three airports, using Flybe and Easyjet, can get some very competive fares- BUT, they are very strick on baggage including carry ons. So you do have to be within the guidelines, verify you are.

The train is very easy, I've use East Coast, and my trip in Sept, will be on Virgin, who had the cheapest rates. It pays to do a good search, as rates are ALL over the place. Keep an eye out for specials, and keep checking. At some point, you may be able to pick up fares 10% of the listed rates.

Thank you! I heard of Flybe but not Easyjet. Will check them out.

See your from Syracuse. Just there for the Nationals. You have a very welcoming city! Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Archived