Edinburgh Castle

We'll be visitng Edinburgh in August and want to be at the Castle at the 9:30 opening time. We'll be catching the train from the tender dock at S. Queensferry. What time should we catch the train to be there at 9:30? Also, any idea when the English language tours leave, how frequent they are and whether they can be booked in advance (I do intend to purchase tickets in advance, but don't know whether you can book the tour guide at the same time)? thanx

Duane

Although we visited Edinburgh on our own, not with a cruise, I would advice that you take the earliest train you can.

My understanding is that the train takes you into Waverley Station, which is centrally located in Edinburgh, but you still have to get from the station to the Castle.

We took the HOHO bus, but did walk back to the center of town...we kind of meandered so I can't tell you how far a walk it is.

As for the tour...they start just inside the castle, are free with your ticket and leave every 15-20 minutes or so as I recall. No need to sign up, just wait a little while.

We actually used the audio tour and liked that a lot. Easy to get around at your own pace.

Have a great trip!

The train only takes 20 minutes and the Waverley Station is only a 10 minute walk from the Castle.

If I wasn't from Edinburgh, I'd get on the train at 08:30 and that would get you into Edinburgh at around 08:50.

You'd then have around 40 minutes to find your way to Edinburgh Castle, but its really not difficult and there will be heaps of people about who can point you in the right direction.

See map below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Waverley+Bridge%2FA8&daddr=Market+St%2FA8+to:Mound+Pl,+Edinburgh,+United+Kingdom+to:55.948821,-3.196437&hl=en&geocode=FWTAVQMdxkzP_w%3BFV-7VQMdykDP_w%3BFUS6VQMddj7P_ykldqWAmseHSDHHuFRii-sJ4g%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=3&sz=18&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=55.948827,-3.196812&sspn=0.001529,0.002999&ie=UTF8&ll=55.949921,-3.194854&spn=0.006115,0.011995&t=h&z=16

We'll be visitng Edinburgh in August and want to be at the Castle at the 9:30 opening time. We'll be catching the train from the tender dock at S. Queensferry. What time should we catch the train to be there at 9:30? Also, any idea when the English language tours leave, how frequent they are and whether they can be booked in advance (I do intend to purchase tickets in advance, but don't know whether you can book the tour guide at the same time)? thanx

Duane

We are going to the castle in August for the Tattoo dont know if the castle is open for tours whilst this is on maybe worth finding out before you go in case you cant get in.

We are going to the castle in August for the Tattoo dont know if the castle is open for tours whilst this is on maybe worth finding out before you go in case you cant get in.

Its the height of tourist season - absolutely no way they'll close the doors!

The Castle is definitely open during the day during the tattoo period. The tattoo is held out on the esplanade not actually within the castle itself, so all the temporary seating that is ewrected has no impact on castle tours.

Strongly recommend you visit the official site and buy your tickets online to avoid waiting for ages at the ticket booths as thi is the busiest time of the year in Edinburgh. You may also be able to pre book a tor.

Here's the link to the official government site for more info

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/

The train only takes 20 minutes and the Waverley Station is only a 10 minute walk from the Castle.

My dad is somewhat walking challenged. Hills are not easy, either are steps. If they take the train from port, can they get the HoHo bus at the train? I've been to the castle over 30 years ago and recall it's quite hilly. Would he have to walk up to the castle, no matter how he arrives? If they took at taxi, is a taxi able to drop off at the top of the hill?

Linda

My dad is somewhat walking challenged. Hills are not easy, either are steps. If they take the train from port, can they get the HoHo bus at the train? I've been to the castle over 30 years ago and recall it's quite hilly. Would he have to walk up to the castle, no matter how he arrives? If they took at taxi, is a taxi able to drop off at the top of the hill?

Linda

The HOHO buses sit at the exit to Waverley station.

It is a very steep climb from the station to the castle, but yes, taxis are available IN the station and they can drop you off right at the castle entrance.

The HOHO buses sit at the exit to Waverly station.

It is a very steep climb from the station to the castle, but yes, taxis are available IN the station and they can drop you off right at the castle entrance.

Excellent to know, thanks

Just off the Crown Princess - we used the tenders in South Queensferry. We were on one of the first tenders to leave the ship. There were five of us and it was much cheaper to take a taxi (20 pounds) to the castle than to take the train or the shuttle. The taxi took us from the pier and deposited us at the castle entrance. We had an hour before the castle opened and there were very few tourist around so we got some great photos of the castle and surrounding areas. We also walked down the Royal Mile and enjoyed the area without all of the crowds. We were at the castle when they opened the doors and had a Historic Scotland Explorer's Pass, so we jumped ahead of the lines. Went to the top of the castle, saw the crown jewels and the prisoner's of war. When we came out of the dungeons, the line for the crown jewels was massive. We left the castle about two hours after we arrived. The line to buy tickets was estimated to be about an hour and a half. Advice - go early, buy your tickets before you arrive and take a taxi (or share one) to the castle entrance!! Have a great time - Edinburgh is a great city!

Just off the Crown Princess - we used the tenders in South Queensferry. We were on one of the first tenders to leave the ship. There were five of us and it was much cheaper to take a taxi (20 pounds) to the castle than to take the train or the shuttle. The taxi took us from the pier and deposited us at the castle entrance. We had an hour before the castle opened and there were very few tourist around so we got some great photos of the castle and surrounding areas. We also walked down the Royal Mile and enjoyed the area without all of the crowds. We were at the castle when they opened the doors and had a Historic Scotland Explorer's Pass, so we jumped ahead of the lines. Went to the top of the castle, saw the crown jewels and the prisoner's of war. When we came out of the dungeons, the line for the crown jewels was massive. We left the castle about two hours after we arrived. The line to buy tickets was estimated to be about an hour and a half. Advice - go early, buy your tickets before you arrive and take a taxi (or share one) to the castle entrance!! Have a great time - Edinburgh is a great city!

Great information

Thank you

Linda

They also offer a great audio tour, which isn't timed to a guided tour. Used this last time, and definately found it better. Allow up to 4 hours, if you are going through everything. Plenty to see and read.

Archived