Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

I'd also love to know about the 15% gratuity. My other question is if the drink prices at the beginning of the thread have increased. I'm assuming yes since they are from last year, but if anyone knows for sure, would love to hear.

Thanks,

Kristen

A bottle of Peroni was $6, Becks/Corona $5. Glass of Pinot Grigio was $7.5.

All Martini's in the Molecular bar were $12.

I think prices were exclusive of the 15% gratuity.

Peter

When you purchase the package on line prior to the cruise, the 15% gratuity is added in. Therefore, it would have been added when purchased on the ship as well.

Oh no it isn't.

I did a lot of research before I bought the package and also discovered a glitch with Celebrity's website as it tried to add the 15% twice before you finally make the on line purchase. The cost finally reverts back to the cost plus 15% and that's it. Nothing further was added once I was on board.

Peter

Thanks for the list, it helped us decide NOT to do the beverage package.

Judy

As it is our first cruise, the constellation around the carribean for xmas, not sure if the drinks packages are worth it, as can't find the cost or sizes of the bottles????

Hi all,

I am brand new to this site, having just registered we,re pretty new to cruising too. My wife and I leave for Rome tomorrow for the 12 day Holy Land cruise. I purchased the Premium beverage package and am wondering how it works when out for dinner either in the MDR or specialty restaurants. If there's 2 or 4 of us ordering, and only 1 pkg, how do they know who to charge and who not too?

If this was asked before I apologize but there's 67 pages and I did scan a lot of them before posting.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am brand new to this site, having just registered we,re pretty new to cruising too. My wife and I leave for Rome tomorrow for the 12 day Holy Land cruise. I purchased the Premium beverage package and am wondering how it works when out for dinner either in the MDR or specialty restaurants. If there's 2 or 4 of us ordering, and only 1 pkg, how do they know who to charge and who not too?

If this was asked before I apologize but there's 67 pages and I did scan a lot of them before posting.

Thanks

Hi tigershark and welcome to cruise critic.

The sommelier will take your cruise card for the one with the package as it will have 'premium package' printed on it and the other people will sign for drinks as normal.

Don't know whether you realise the wines are by the glass on the package and not by the bottle?

Have a great cruise :)

Hi all,

Thanks

When you are sitting at the dinner table on a cruise you do not get a "check" for the table. That takes away any fear of awkwardness with tablemates regarding who is drinking what and splitting a check after dinner. When you sit down and order the waiter takes your seapass cards which are like the room keys in a hotel and are linked to your creditcard. You can charge anything you want on the room key...there is no cash accepted on the a ship. Since you have the package they take your seapass card but there is no additional cost and you don't usually sign anything.... Those that do not have the package will be chaged and the waiter will return with slips for them to sign.......

As it is our first cruise, the constellation around the carribean for xmas, not sure if the drinks packages are worth it, as can't find the cost or sizes of the bottles????

What type of bottles are you looking for information on. Wine? Spirits? Beer? Water? If you can give more info we might be able to help.

Also, if you're not sure then why not wait until you are on the ship and take a day to check out the offerings, prices and your own consumption. You can always buy a package after a day or two of your cruise and pay the pro-rated rate for the remainder of the cruise.

... I purchased the Premium beverage package and am wondering how it works when out for dinner either in the MDR or specialty restaurants. If there's 2 or 4 of us ordering, and only 1 pkg, how do they know who to charge and who not too?...

The person who has the package will be identified on their sea pass, and the related account on the ship's computer, as having the package. They will receive drinks covered by the package without an additional charge. It will help speed things along if they inform the waiter taking the drink order in advance that they have the package. Others should order on their own and will have to present their ship seapass card to have their orders charged to their account. Of course anyone can buy someone else a drink, including a package holder, and have the individual costs charged to their seapass card account.

What type of bottles are you looking for information on. Wine? Spirits? Beer? Water? If you can give more info we might be able to help.

Also, if you're not sure then why not wait until you are on the ship and take a day to check out the offerings, prices and your own consumption. You can always buy a package after a day or two of your cruise and pay the pro-rated rate for the remainder of the cruise.

The person who has the package will be identified on their sea pass, and the related account on the ship's computer, as having the package. They will receive drinks covered by the package without an additional charge. It will help speed things along if they inform the waiter taking the drink order in advance that they have the package. Others should order on their own and will have to present their ship seapass card to have their orders charged to their account. Of course anyone can buy someone else a drink, including a package holder, and have the individual costs charged to their seapass card account.

Hey Larry,

I was wondering if anyone has verified whether or not the rumors regarding the premium package were true. Specifically, whether one could order a wine over $12.00 and simply be asked to pay the difference... like three dollars....... if the wine were $15.00.

I am going on the Infinity in about two weeks and I have been to looking to see if anyone had mentioned it... I saw some very official looking language quoted on another thread but I am not sure if anyone ever verified where that language came from and whther this policy had been turned out fleet wide.

Thanks for your response......

Hey Larry,

I was wondering if anyone has verified whether or not the rumors regarding the premium package were true. Specifically, whether one could order a wine over $12.00 and simply be asked to pay the difference... like three dollars....... if the wine were $15.00.

I am going on the Infinity in about two weeks and I have been to looking to see if anyone had mentioned it... I saw some very official looking language quoted on another thread but I am not sure if anyone ever verified where that language came from and whther this policy had been turned out fleet wide...

All I know is I've seen half a dozen or so recent reports that it is in place for the Premium, but not the classic, package. I have no idea if it is fleet wide nor even a permanent change. It sure makes sense to me for them to get every dollar they can in revenue as I'm sure the beverages have super high gross margins. For that reason I think the beverage packages have probably been fantastic for them. Lots of people are paying more than ever for a cruise worth of beverages and loving it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30360158

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30358680

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30349543

Edited by Lsimon

All I know is I've seen half a dozen or so recent reports that it is in place for the Premium, but not the classic, package. I have no idea if it is fleet wide nor even a permanent change. It sure makes sense to me for them to get every dollar they can in revenue as I'm sure the beverages have super high gross margins. For that reason I think the beverage packages have probably been fantastic for them. Lots of people are paying more than ever for a cruise worth of beverages and loving it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30360158

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30358680

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30349543

Thanks so much, this is extremely helpful!

We were on the summit last week and guest services on board said we would be charged full price for any drink exceeding $12. We did find this really limited our wine selections, especially in the Normandie. Last Feb. Cakebread sauvignon blanc was $12, but now $14.still enjoyed the package from our first Cova coffees to our pre dinner Martinis to after dinner drinks at Micheals but...no question wine is a weak spot if you go for the package.

On Solstice last week I had the premium alcohol package and could just pay the difference over the $12 cost.

I was also getting a brand new bottle of wine offered to me from which I had my wine by the glass. The bottle was kept chilled a few feet away from me so it was as if I was having a bottle to myself anyway.

Peter

On Solstice last week I had the premium alcohol package and could just pay the difference over the $12 cost.

I was also getting a brand new bottle of wine offered to me from which I had my wine by the glass. The bottle was kept chilled a few feet away from me so it was as if I was having a bottle to myself anyway.

Peter

I'm glad for you and so annoyed that the policy isn't consistent between ships! Could anyone point me to the official release or statement that pertains to the change in policy so I can bring it to the attention of someone at Celebrity. I'd just like to help out the next person on the Summit!

Oh no it isn't.

I did a lot of research before I bought the package and also discovered a glitch with Celebrity's website as it tried to add the 15% twice before you finally make the on line purchase. The cost finally reverts back to the cost plus 15% and that's it. Nothing further was added once I was on board.

Peter

Thanks for this info, I was finding the same thing and wondering how on earth the price was being calculated :)

Hi, After speaking with customer service my friend was told that the gratuities when purchased on the ship were added and not included in the per day price. She was charged $54 / day per person for her 10 night cruise and $162 was added for the 15% gratuity. Which does work out to the correct amount. I guess it must make sense to someone.

She did say it was worth every penny and she would purchase the premium package again in a heartbeat.

Happy sailing to all, if only RCCL would get a decent package!

Hi, After speaking with customer service my friend was told that the gratuities when purchased on the ship were added and not included in the per day price. She was charged $54 / day per person for her 10 night cruise and $162 was added for the 15% gratuity. Which does work out to the correct amount. I guess it must make sense to someone.

She did say it was worth every penny and she would purchase the premium package again in a heartbeat.

Happy sailing to all, if only RCCL would get a decent package!

The Celebrity website/quote states that the price is $54 per person per day with an * that states that 15% will be added for gratuities. 15% is $8.10 per person per day for gratuities. That is equal to $162 total gratuity for two people for ten days. It makes sense to me. Hope this helps.

The confusion on the 15% might be because when the packages where initially introduced I believe they might have been priced inclusive of the 15% gratuity every place on the web site where the price was shown. That changed shortly afterwards and for a long time now the price has been displayed on the website without the 15% service charge which does get added when you check out on the web site. From all other reports I've heard the price and service charge are identical between advance purchase and purchase on the ship.

Edited by Lsimon

Hi, thanks in advance for assisting me with my questions regarding the drink packages. We are not new to cruising, but are new to Celebrity. If I purchase no package, what is available to me to drink on board without an extra charge? My previous cruises have been on Princess; we were able to get coffee, iced tea, lemonade, and glasses of water without charge. On our last cruise we purchased a coffee card to have access to espresso, cappuccino, and high-end tea without extra charges. We are not “heavy” drinkers, but would likely have 4-6 drinks per day between us on vacation, in a combo of 2 beers, 1-2 wines, 1-2 mixed drinks at most. If these don’t exceed the $62.00 per day per person charge of the premium package, then I see no reason to purchase it unless I am going to go over by purchasing coffee and tea; we don’t drink soda at all. Also, on Princess passengers are allowed to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board. I haven’t found any policy on the Celebrity web site; can one carry on any alcohol? Thanks, Laurie

Hi, thanks in advance for assisting me with my questions regarding the drink packages. We are not new to cruising, but are new to Celebrity. If I purchase no package, what is available to me to drink on board without an extra charge? My previous cruises have been on Princess; we were able to get coffee, iced tea, lemonade, and glasses of water without charge. On our last cruise we purchased a coffee card to have access to espresso, cappuccino, and high-end tea without extra charges. We are not “heavy” drinkers, but would likely have 4-6 drinks per day between us on vacation, in a combo of 2 beers, 1-2 wines, 1-2 mixed drinks at most. If these don’t exceed the $62.00 per day per person charge of the premium package, then I see no reason to purchase it unless I am going to go over by purchasing coffee and tea; we don’t drink soda at all. Also, on Princess passengers are allowed to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board. I haven’t found any policy on the Celebrity web site; can one carry on any alcohol? Thanks, Laurie

The items that you listed that were free on Princess will also be free on Celebrity. With your consumption I would agree that it would not be worth it to purchase a premium drink package. You would have to pay for the items that you received with your Princess coffee card. (they are included with packages less expensive than the premium one) Fresh squeezed OJ is another charge.

Yes, per the policy you can bring two bottles of wine per cabin. The same a with Princess. You can also bring on bottled water if you wish.

Enjoy our cruise.

The items that you listed that were free on Princess will also be free on Celebrity. With your consumption I would agree that it would not be worth it to purchase a premium drink package. You would have to pay for the items that you received with your Princess coffee card. (they are included with packages less expensive than the premium one) Fresh squeezed OJ is another charge.

Yes, per the policy you can bring two bottles of wine per cabin. The same a with Princess. You can also bring on bottled water if you wish.

Enjoy our cruise.

Thank you for your quick reply; I am glad to feel my assessment is correct. I am going to consider a non-alcohol package to see if it makes sense for the amount of coffee, tea, and bottled water we drink. Laurie

Thank you for your quick reply; I am glad to feel my assessment is correct. I am going to consider a non-alcohol package to see if it makes sense for the amount of coffee, tea, and bottled water we drink. Laurie

For what it's worth, here's our experience. My family of four just got back from the Summit. I purchased 4 premium non-alcohol packages and 1 7-bottle wine package as we like wine with dinner. While both were convenient I don't think we'd do it again. We felt obligated to drink lots of Perrier, Red Bull and skim lattes with extra espresso shots to get our money's worth on the non-alc package! We may have broken even but I normally don't drink that much coffee, water and soda. The wine package was a pretty limited selection. I thought we'd be able to choose from the entire wine list up to a certain dollar amount, but there's a separate section in the wine list for the packages which has only about 20 options. We may have spent more on wine if we didn't have the package but I would have liked having the larger selection.

We're sort of like you in our drinking and I purchased a Classic Alcohol pkg for each of us. It's $44 + 15% each day. I was thinking with fresh squeezed OJ, a latte coffee, a few bottles of water, then 1-2 cocktails, 1-2 glasses of wine per day we should easily hit $44. Leaving next week ... will let you know!