New, Never-Seen-Before Platinum VIP Check-in Question

Ship Addict

I just got done doing the FunPass stuff for my cruise in 17 days. When I got to the printing the FunPass, luggage tags, etc, they don't say anything about VIP check-in. I am Platinum but my roommate is not.

I emailed the travel agent asking if she could contact Carnival and fix this. She emailed me back saying basically, "since the other passenger is listed first on the reservation, it's not recognizing that you're Platinum. There's nothing I can do. Can't you just go to the VIP line with an old card and handle it from there?"

Well, I supposed this COULD work, but I would rather she do a little legwork and actually contact Carnival and get it straightened out. I really don't want to start my vacation by arguing with the VIP staff trying to prove that is where I should be. I am wondering if she is just being lazy and doesn't want to bother with it.

So my question is, has anyone run into this before? IS Carnival able to fix this before check-in? Is my travel right or wrong?

Wow what does she think she gets paid to do?

Exactly. I would nicely inform her that I expect her to fix this or will never give her my business again. I wouldn't use here again anyway since she is in need of encouragement to do her job.

I would tell her that it is your 10th cruise with Carnival and tell her that you are entitled to the perks of Platinum and to call and get it straightened out. It does not take long, and the agent on the line will make it right, lest they peeve off a "welcome home" guest vs the Cruise 1-9 "Welcome aboard" guest....

I am platinum and am bringing a friend along who is on cruise #3 with Carnival. She is more than happy at getting VIP boarding *BG*....

I just got done doing the FunPass stuff for my cruise in 17 days. When I got to the printing the FunPass, luggage tags, etc, they don't say anything about VIP check-in. I am Platinum but my roommate is not.

I emailed the travel agent asking if she could contact Carnival and fix this. She emailed me back saying basically, "since the other passenger is listed first on the reservation, it's not recognizing that you're Platinum. There's nothing I can do. Can't you just go to the VIP line with an old card and handle it from there?"

Well, I supposed this COULD work, but I would rather she do a little legwork and actually contact Carnival and get it straightened out. I really don't want to start my vacation by arguing with the VIP staff trying to prove that is where I should be. I am wondering if she is just being lazy and doesn't want to bother with it.

So my question is, has anyone run into this before? IS Carnival able to fix this before check-in? Is my travel right or wrong?

Just like the other respondents said, I would insist the TA fix the situation. I would also make sure that all my past cruises were listed on CCL under my past guest # - and you should be able to check this on Carnival's web site.

Thanks everyone. Just what I thought. I'll lean on her to get it done.

Actually, I had already decided to replace her with a PVP I just met earlier this month who went out of her way to get me on a hurricane special. I already had two cruises booked with this travel agent, so I had to wait until after these are done. Plus, I didn't even get an email, phone call, nothing when the first cruise was over. No kind of welcome home whatsoever. (I got one from the PVP on the hurricane special, though.)

I have always dreamed of having the TA/PVP that went out of their way to make sure everything was taken care of for me. It's obviously not this TA, but I think I found her in the PVP!

I wish I could get that PVP's name! I have been on 9 cruises and still haven't found a TA that I want to settle down with. I did have a PVP and a TA that I liked, but they both left their jobs. :rolleyes:

I wish I could get that PVP's name! I have been on 9 cruises and still haven't found a TA that I want to settle down with. I did have a PVP and a TA that I liked, but they both left their jobs. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, have a great private TA that have used now for 8 years. Although my TA told me that Carnival is trying to cut out private TA's as of Aug 1st cannot dsicount Carnival cruise anymore, she has to get more creative :cool:

Just like the other respondents said, I would insist the TA fix the situation. I would also make sure that all my past cruises were listed on CCL under my past guest # - and you should be able to check this on Carnival's web site.

A good question about past cruises showing up. Also,

Who made the original reservation? Whose credit card was used? Was the booking Early Savers or other discount/promotion program that may have restrictions? Whose TA is it?

Even if you get VIP boarding, and all those in the stateroom might get same, if they aren't VIP, their S&S cards may have to be fetched from another location.

A good question about past cruises showing up. Also,

Who made the original reservation? Whose credit card was used? Was the booking Early Savers or other discount/promotion program that may have restrictions? Whose TA is it?

Even if you get VIP boarding, and all those in the stateroom might get same, if they aren't VIP, their S&S cards may have to be fetched from another location.

All my past cruises show up on the Carnival page. I'm kind of a fanatic about it and check almost as soon as I get home.

The original reservation was made by my friend/roommate, who is leading a group cruise for this trip. Her credit card was used -- I paid her cash. It's a group booking made by a travel agent we both have used for multiple cruises (who should KNOW I'm Platinum by now cos I've been Platinum on all the cruises she has booked for me!).

So far every time I have checked in VIP everyone in my cabin has had their S&S cards right there with mine. Of course, the kids in the other cabin have had regular check-in status, so someone had to go get their cards for us.

So far every time I have checked in VIP everyone in my cabin has had their S&S cards right there with mine. Of course, the kids in the other cabin have had regular check-in status, so someone had to go get their cards for us.

Oh well, hope it gets straightened out. Group bookings are handled differently from individual bookings and if something is not to your liking, it always seems to take forever to straighten out - even after on the ship.

One issue is that groups are lumped all together - not only do TAs have trouble with individual records, but so does Carnival.

I would tell her that it is your 10th cruise with Carnival and tell her that you are entitled to the perks of Platinum and to call and get it straightened out. It does not take long, and the agent on the line will make it right, lest they peeve off a "welcome home" guest vs the Cruise 1-9 "Welcome aboard" guest....

I am platinum and am bringing a friend along who is on cruise #3 with Carnival. She is more than happy at getting VIP boarding *BG*....

They don't wait until you are platinum to say 'Welcome back', they do it every time they see your gold card, too. EM

Great question! My dd and I will both be platinum on Dream in Dec. DH and other dd will only have 9 cruises when they sail on Dream. We are all in the same cabin. Reservation is under my name (I did the booking) and my name is listed first in all places - even on funpass. We are paid in full, so we can see our docs - nowhere (not on luggage tags, funpass, etc.) does is say VIP. I guess I will wait till we return from Glory (we sail Saturday!) to see if they magically change to VIP for our next cruise!

Great question! My dd and I will both be platinum on Dream in Dec. DH and other dd will only have 9 cruises when they sail on Dream. We are all in the same cabin. Reservation is under my name (I did the booking) and my name is listed first in all places - even on funpass. We are paid in full, so we can see our docs - nowhere (not on luggage tags, funpass, etc.) does is say VIP. I guess I will wait till we return from Glory (we sail Saturday!) to see if they magically change to VIP for our next cruise!

Since you haven't "officially" reached VIP status it won't show on your docs. Should show after you have completed your Glory Cruise...Have a great cruise...

OK, I keep wanting to ask this and finally I am going to . . . Could someone remind me what the past guest levels are? We have sailed on 11 cruises but 4 have been with Carnival and the next two ( one in January and one in July) will also be Carnival.

Archived