A couple of Cunard questions from a wishful thinker

Maple_Girl

Hi,

DH and I are going on our first cruise in October. I wish it were a Cunard transatlantic, but alas finances dictate that we must take a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean. I'm actually quite excited but I would love to take a Cunard cruise some day.

I know that Cunard cruises are not for budget travelers, but I have a couple of budget-minded questions:

1. Are there additional out of pocket expenses on Cunard ships besides alcohol and gambling? Are all the restaurants and shows included in the sailing price?
  2. If I were to take a cruise, when would be the best time/what would be the best cruise for some one on a budget?

Thank you and happy sailing!

PS. Please, no Carnival bashing. I want to remain excited about our upcoming vacation! :D

I know that Cunard cruises are not for budget travelers, but I have a couple of budget-minded questions:

1. Are there additional out of pocket expenses on Cunard ships besides alcohol and gambling? Are all the restaurants and shows included in the sailing price?
  2. If I were to take a cruise, when would be the best time/what would be the best cruise for some one on a budget?

PS. Please, no Carnival bashing. I want to remain excited about our upcoming vacation! :D

Hi :)

1 You need to add on $11 a day per person for "tips" and also for any tours you want to do.

2 The best value (cheapest) Cunard cruises tend to be Atlantic Islands in September, October.

I hope you enjoy your Carnival cruise :)

No Carnival bashing from me - we have been on 5 Carnival cruises and they always show you a good time and we never had any problem enjoying the food and ambiance. We would not go in the summer nor spring break as the teens & twenties out number everyone else and it can get hectic. No worries about that in October.

We just got off our 2nd Cunard cruise on the Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic, Southampton, UK to New York. We really enjoyed the beauty of the ship and all the different places for anything you may want: Planetarium, spa, pools, buffets, sit-down meals, shows, etc, etc.

If you just want to enjoy the ship - take a transatlantic. If you prefer a few ports, take something in whatever part of the world appeals to you. That is your own taste.

You can spend the whole time on the ship without paying for meals or shows. There is a daily gratituity charged to your account -about $11 pp, per day. Any specialty restaurant (Todd English, etc) has a fee but they are only if you choose.

Have fun,

MaryAnn

Welome to Cunard. I hope you will one day be able to experience it.

1) Speciality restaurants do cost extra. All shows are included. Spa is extra. Photos, souveniers and other purchases are extra. Some courses are extra.

2) To get lower prices, it is best to wait until special offers come out. This happens for many cruises yet probably not for very short ones. You might also compare the offers of different travel agents and book a guarantee cabin. There is nothing worng, too, with booking the cheapest inside cabin. You get the same service and attention as every other Britannia guest.

How does a voyage on a Queen compare to a voyage on HAL's Amsterdam, as to food, entertainment, dress code, cabins?

We are contemplating doing the new Elizabeth when she sails out. We have sailed HAL, but not Cunard for years and years.

Hi,

DH and I are going on our first cruise in October. I wish it were a Cunard transatlantic, but alas finances dictate that we must take a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean. I'm actually quite excited but I would love to take a Cunard cruise some day.

Prices for both can be quite close(especially if you do inside cabins)You'll have an $11/day charge. I believe Carnival does the same. Todd English is an extra charge..$30/dinner, $20/lunch. You will definately see better dressed folks as this is one of the reasons people choose Cunard. Food is generally better on Cunard(higher cost..better food)Carnival does have some alternative dining restaurants on some of their larger newer ships. The food there is said to be really quite good. For "BlueWhale" Cunard & HAL are really quite similer..In comparing cars..Cunard would be Cadillac & HAL would equate to Buick.

Welcome to Cunard.

Do you mind an inside cabin? I always book inside, D8, have been luicky with getting free upgrades. D8 are the least expensive cabins, no view , but there are so many public areas (and decks) where you can look at the sea that being inside when I sleep is no bother. I only sleep,shower time in my cabin.

There are many "free" things to do on the ship, the $11 per day tip charge is really the only "must do" charge. I would also budget for a couple of coffees in Sir Samuels as they have very good "free" pastries morning and afternoon and "free" light lunches - you pay only for your coffee.

Same in the Golden Lion , you can eat a "free pub lunch" there and just buy a Coke.

Lectures are free, shows are free, movies are free, library is free, Main dining room meals are included in your fare, as also is Room Service (menu a little limited but adequate for the odd use)

Shore tours can be expensive, but if $$ are very tight you can almost always get a ride to the town and just walk around.

Avoid Todd English and photgraphs, both will eat up your dollars, at dinner you do not have to buy a bottle of wine, you can alwasy just sip water (coffee at dinner is "free")

Window shop but do not buy in the shops on board.

There are short cruises with Cunard, check prices with a couple of TA do not just ask one.

Is Cunard "formal" yes but that does not mean $$$$$ dresses from designers. I have always been quite at home with my clothes, yet many of my dresses are years old, or bought from "2nd time around" shops. If possible stick with dresses you can wash at

home, wear costume jewellery, lots of "bling for little $$"

Hope you will soon be on board with the rest of us.

Best wishes

Lynn

Hi,

If I were to take a cruise, when would be the best time/what would be the best cruise for some one on a budget?

:D

Hi Maple Girl, as you know, one of the things that can add considerable cost to a cruise is transportation to and from the ship. I don't know what your nearest port is, but you might want to begin your search by looking at what ships depart from there. If you're flexible about departure dates and itinerary, you'll be more likely to find more cruise options at an acceptable price. My understanding is that when schools are in session, prices are generally lower as families are less likely to travel then.

BTW, once you sail on a Cunard ship, you will be eligible for past passenger discount. You can be added to Cunard's e-mail list and thus receive notification of special offers. I also understand that a good working relationship with a travel agent (including on-line discount travel agents) can be very helpful in terms of securing the good rates, including on-board credits.

Best wishes on your first cruise. I hope you have a wonderful experience and look forward to someday reading your review of a Cunard voyage :)

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. After my first cruise, I immediately began to save for the next one. Before spending money, I ask myself if I'd really want to make the purchase, or put the money in my 'cruise account' instead. It's amazing how priorities change once you become addicted to the sea ;)

How does a voyage on a Queen compare to a voyage on HAL's Amsterdam, as to food, entertainment, dress code, cabins?

We have had 4 cruises on HAL (one on the Amsterdam) and one voyage ( :D )on QM2 and I would say they compare fairly well. Ours was just a 4 nighter on QM2 but I thought the food on HAL was actually better. Full disclosure we had a horrible lunch at Todd English that had some effect on my general opinion of the ship but I do realize that any eatery can have an off day. Others raved about it. Just as others have raved about HAL's Tamarind while we have found it so-so.

Welcome to Cunard.

Do you mind an inside cabin? I always book inside, D8, have been luicky with getting free upgrades. D8 are the least expensive cabins, no view , but there are so many public areas (and decks) where you can look at the sea that being inside when I sleep is no bother. I only sleep,shower time in my cabin.

There are many "free" things to do on the ship, the $11 per day tip charge is really the only "must do" charge. I would also budget for a couple of coffees in Sir Samuels as they have very good "free" pastries morning and afternoon and "free" light lunches - you pay only for your coffee.

Same in the Golden Lion , you can eat a "free pub lunch" there and just buy a Coke.

Lectures are free, shows are free, movies are free, library is free, Main dining room meals are included in your fare, as also is Room Service (menu a little limited but adequate for the odd use)

Shore tours can be expensive, but if $$ are very tight you can almost always get a ride to the town and just walk around.

Avoid Todd English and photgraphs, both will eat up your dollars, at dinner you do not have to buy a bottle of wine, you can alwasy just sip water (coffee at dinner is "free")

Window shop but do not buy in the shops on board.

There are short cruises with Cunard, check prices with a couple of TA do not just ask one.

Is Cunard "formal" yes but that does not mean $$$$$ dresses from designers. I have always been quite at home with my clothes, yet many of my dresses are years old, or bought from "2nd time around" shops. If possible stick with dresses you can wash at

home, wear costume jewellery, lots of "bling for little $$"

Hope you will soon be on board with the rest of us.

Best wishes

Lynn

Jimsgirl, Thanks for your post - excellent (and charming) advice from an experienced Cunarder.:) Regards, Salacia

On my last QM2 trip, the guy sitting next to me refused to order anything to drink! He just wanted his "complementary pub lunch".

At least he didn't ask for any tap water.

On my last QM2 trip, the guy sitting next to me refused to order anything to drink! He just wanted his "complementary pub lunch".

At least he didn't ask for any tap water.

Karl, What! -A passenger refused to order a drink! Keel haul the villian!

BTW, no passenger should need to ask for a glass of water---that is supposed to be served upon seating. (Choice of bottled water also offered.)

I'm sorry if I'm missing your point. -Salacia

You will not have to pay extra for anything on Cunard that will not also be extra on your Carnival cruise. The only exception is gratuities are $10 on Carnival, as opposed to $11/day on Cunard (and HAL). I'm booked on a cruise in Dec. that is very reasonably priced, and I have had two price drops so far. You just have to watch for bargains on any line, or have a really good travel agent. EM

I've cruised 20 times...cost has little to do with my experiences. The cheapest was a Grand Suite on RCL's Voyager of the Seas and most expensive was a B3 on the QM2. To be completely honest I had more fun on the Voyager of the Seas. There are twice as many formal nights on the QM2 as on other cruise ships. Oceania has the best "dress code"....dresses or pantsuits for the ladies and jackets without tie for the gentlemen. We had "formal fatigue" after 24 days on the QM2.

I've cruised 20 times...cost has little to do with my experiences. The cheapest was a Grand Suite on RCL's Voyager of the Seas and most expensive was a B3 on the QM2. To be completely honest I had more fun on the Voyager of the Seas. There are twice as many formal nights on the QM2 as on other cruise ships. Oceania has the best "dress code"....dresses or pantsuits for the ladies and jackets without tie for the gentlemen. We had "formal fatigue" after 24 days on the QM2.

Hi Granny DI. I never thought to ask this before, but if the dress code for the evening is 'formal' are you expected to wear formal attire in Todd English, or would 'semi-formal' (cocktail dress for women, suit for men) be acceptable? -Thanks, Salacia

To the O.P.

Your Cunard cruise will come. I have been on 12 Carnival and 5 Cunard.

I agree about looking out for the deals. I am going Trans at in October.

(Something I can do as I do not get seasick) If you are not overly prone to motion sickness the April and October crossing are always less.

The pricing for my cruise is like two for one of the normal rate.

Tom in Long Beach

I think of present day Cunard as Carnival with extra touches and amenities. It is not an entirely different experience. Oh and on QM2 the decor is reto liner deco. I do not mind that.

Karl, What! -A passenger refused to order a drink! Keel haul the villian!

BTW, no passenger should need to ask for a glass of water---that is supposed to be served upon seating. (Choice of bottled water also offered.)

I'm sorry if I'm missing your point. -Salacia

I think it was mostly his attitude that irked me the most. When asked if he would like to order a beverage, instead of saying something like "no, thank you" he responded with a gruff "I just want my *complementary* pub lunch". He must have said "complementary" 3 times during his conversation with the bartender.

The Golden Lion is a bar, not a restaurant. They offer lunch as an incentive to bring traffic into the bar, so passengers will order drinks. It's a very popular incentive, and the bar is very crowded at lunchtime.

Unless this man left a cash tip for the bartender, the bartender lost a potential tip that day, since someone ordering a drink would have paid a 15% service charge on it.

Hi Granny DI. I never thought to ask this before, but if the dress code for the evening is 'formal' are you expected to wear formal attire in Todd English, or would 'semi-formal' (cocktail dress for women, suit for men) be acceptable? -Thanks, Salacia

Salacia,

My husband wore a tuxedo, white shirt and black tie every formal night even in Todd English. I brought 3 long black skirts and then 4 glitter type tops to wear with the skirts. My husband changed vests and ties . We found the atmosphere very formal throughout the ship and grew tired of it after formal night 8...I believe there were 17 formal nights in total.

Hi Granny Di. We've always dressed in formal attire on formal nights too, and had dinner in the MDR. But we're going on a longer cruise next time, and I'm anticipating my husband growing tired of formal nights after a while (much like you experienced). Here's hoping he makes it thru at least 8 formal nights:)

Regards,

Salacia

Formal nights are not a punishment. It is a part of civilized life on Cunard. And, yes, formal applies to Todd English as well as other venues after 6 p.m.

ColumbiaSC. Thanks. Punishment??:eek: Having enjoyed many many formal nights on QM2 during 6 voyages, I personally never considered it a punishment to comply with the dress code. However, I can understand that for some passengers (even the most civilized) on a long voyage formal dress codes might become somewhat less enjoyable after a certain point, or even on a particular evening where one is engaged in an enjoyable activity that must be ceased in order to dress for a formal dinner---which for me can be a somewhat lengthy process.:) This is, of course, a completely individual reaction and is not, IMHO, indicative of distain for either Cunard or civilization.

BTW, if I remember correctly, one venue where formal attire is not required is Kings Court, even after 6 p.m. although I have never been there during dinner hours, so I could well be wrong. I have read that in some of the speciality restaurants in Kings Court, semi-formal attire might be acceptable on formal nights, but I have no direct knowledge of that either and your reply indicates that is not the case. Ditto Todd English.

Again, thanks for your clarification.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived