Airline Suitcase Size?

Whasup

Just bought a Light Weight 28 incher.

28 plus 19 plus 10.5 comes to 58. Those are the dimensions when it is empty.

It could still be easy to over pack in weight.

Air canada allows me one free bag 62 inches max 50lb

I will be flying home on Southwest.

The last couple o cruises we drove to the port and used the 30 inches

This time we have to fly.

The smallest restriction I seem to have on my upcoming flight is an inter-europe one and they state: 45in (22in / 16in / 7in)

So my question is, why do companies keep making bags and labeling them as "carry on" when they are larger, or "lightweight" when they weigh 6lbs (of the 12lbs I'm allowed to board this airline.

Is it just because I'm getting my luggage in America? If i went shopping overseas would carryon luggage be smaller or are they selling them "large" over there too.

I think that the primary reason is probably because it helps the manufacturers to sell the bags. It's not their job to advise you whether your airline will accept it or not, given that different airlines have different rules.

In any event, I am not sure that the differential between US cabin baggage sizes and the rest of the world is that great any more. Looking at six big US airlines:-

• American: 22" x 14" x 9"
  • Continental: 22" x 14" x 9"
  • Delta: 22" x 14" x 9"
  • Southwest: : 24" x 16" x 10"
  • United: 22" x 14" x 9"
  • US Airways: 22" x 14" x 9"

However, permissible weights can still differ much more around the world.

US Airways actually says you're allowed 45" (as in 22" x 14" x 9").

Sure, never you mind that US Airways says 9". You go ahead and go by whatever numbers you want to add up.

Just be aware that if your bag 10" in that dimension and it doesn't fit in the sizing frame or box, it's ultimately US Airways' rules that will apply to determine whether it's allowed in the cabin or not. And US Airways' rules say 9" in that dimension, even though the total of the three dimensions is only 38".

As I stated above....I haven't flown since 2001 and I am trying my best to make sure I follow US Airway's rules...I apoligized for the dumb question in advance. I'm not going by whatever numbers I add up. I bought a VERY small case compared to most, measured it and the numbers are under 45". Then I measured and WITH the wheels, it is 9.5 to 10 wide. Wasn't sure which to go by...dumb little me. I'm assuming your answer above really means, "it's too big"?, so I will look for a smaller one.

... I am trying my best to make sure I follow US Airway's rules ... I bought a VERY small case compared to most, measured it and the numbers are under 45".
Unfortunately, US Airways makes it quite clear that the bag must be no bigger than 22" x 14" x 9". I expect that those are the dimensions to which any sizer will be built, although the level of actual enforcement is anyone's guess.

It was these sentences in your original post that gave the impression that, notwithstanding what US Airways said, you preferred to calculate the maximum size in a different way:-

38 in. right? US Air says something like 9" depth, but I add the numbers and go by that.

Archived