Airline Suitcase Size?

Whasup

Can anyone share their experience coming close to the 62 linear inch policy at airports. I have a 61 1/2 inch total measurement for my suitcase (l&w&d). Just wondering if I'm cutting this too close? Don't want to pay extra.

Please share what size you usually use for 2 week international cruise trip. We are trying to limit to only one per person.

Thanks for your help!:)

I have never traveled with larger than a 24" rollarboard, which fits in the overhead of most planes, but small regional carriers, and a small additional carryon. Most people, IMO, pack far too much.

If your bag looks close, they can get out the tape measurer and measure it. If it's oversized, they can charge you lots! Be sure you are including the handle and wheels in your measurments, because the airlines will. Don't forget to weigh it also, to keep it under your airline's weight limits.

You are cutting it really close. If the bag expands at all when you have it packed, it will be oversize which costs a fortune to check. Overweight is another issue.

There are many large suitcases on sale now that are too large for air travel. Many size 'airline approved' or some such, but they are the old standard. Be careful!

I would never attempt to check a bag larger than 28" and usually travel with one checked 25" bag and a small carry on bag.

I've seen people pay huge fees when they check in for a flight.

Do you feel lucky?

I have traveled for years with a suitcase that is your size and have never had a problem. Also, though it can happen, I have never had an airline pull out a measuring tape and measure it, and that is over many hundreds of flights. The airlines are far more concerned about weight than size.

I would be far more concerned with a large carryon than a large checked piece.

Depending on what I am doing, I often check two pieces of luggage, especially for land-only trips to Alaska. Depends on where I am staying, what I am doing, etc.

I've seen airlines cut it close on weight, even a couple of pounds, but not on size, either for checked or carry-on (and I wish they would crack down on big carry-on bags, since the bins fill up fast and some bags don't fit). I gather you already have the bag, and aren't just considering buying it, so try packing it with a bunch of stuff and see if it expands. Although airlines don't typically have tape measurers at the check-in counter, I'd try to stay within the limits. If in real doubt, contact an airline.

Although airlines don't typically have tape measurers at the check-in counter, I'd try to stay within the limits. If in real doubt, contact an airline.

IME, yes, they do have tape measurers. I have seen them at many airports, and remember a memorable argument between an agent and passenger, when the agent brought one of those hand-held scales to the gate to weigh his bag. Passenger lost and bag was checked.

DW is a North American reservation agent for a large European Airline. Her comment is that the official size is 62", this is what she tells pax when they call. However unless you bump into an over eager agent at check-in ( not likely ) then Frugaltravl is correct, your luggage will be fine. Unless the piece is very obvioulsy over size, the biggest issue will be weight. Don't go over weight. For any airline, weight is fuel and money. In some cases even if the pax will pay for the weight the baggage handlers will refuse to handle the piece if it is really large. The European airlines can get really sticky on the size of the carry-on "personal item" as well. The North American airlines differ between fairly liberal to tight on the issue. The most liberal in my experience has been Air Canada.

Can anyone share their experience coming close to the 62 linear inch policy at airports. I have a 61 1/2 inch total measurement for my suitcase (l&w&d). Just wondering if I'm cutting this too close? Don't want to pay extra.

Please share what size you usually use for 2 week international cruise trip. We are trying to limit to only one per person.

Thanks for your help!:)

Only warning is that it's VERY easy to overfull a suitcase that size by weight.

(and I wish they would crack down on big carry-on bags, since the bins fill up fast and some bags don't fit).

Most airlines say 45" max dimensions and 22" max length for carry on bags. This allows pretty much all rollerbags to fit length-wise into the overhead bins. The problem comes when people put the bags in the "wrong" way (sideways vs. length-wise) either because they don't realize how it should be done or because their bag is too long to fit in lengthwise. Either way, it is like having two carry ons since it takes up as much space.

I am guessing you are thinking of using a 30" bag. I have to tell you, since the rules changed, all of my 30" bags are in the dead bag pile in our basement. I now never fly with any bag larger than 28". As has been said, way too easy to overstuff just a little and end up costing you a small fortune. It just isn't worth the chance unless you are ready to pay for it. Plus, it is also very easy to go overweight in thesse 30 inchers also. Good Luck!

It's easy to go overweight in a 28" as many airline allow 50lbs for free, 51bs and you're paying. I went out this year and purchased a luggage scale, because last year coming home i was EXACTLY 50lbs on the return trip with my 28". I want to make sure I don't pay any fees.

Also be VERY diligent about finding out your airlines carry-on restrictions. For example, I'm taking Continental which allows 40lbs, however the airline we connect to, only allows 12 lbs. This is a HUGE difference! On my way back, I have to abide by the 12lb rule as my 1st flight (of 2 legs) is on TAP and they only allow 12lbs and even though continental will allow 40, since TAP comes first in the lineup, they are the one I have to follow (according to everyone i've asked at each airline).

Do whatever you can to make it underweight ;-)

I am guessing you are thinking of using a 30" bag.

I was guessing 28" or less. I have a 28" bag that is just under 62" and use it all the time. Never had a problem, ever. With hundreds of flights, all types of domestic and international airlines.

Who weights carry on bags?? have never hard of this before or had this done??

From what I've heard (not experienced as I've only traveled abroad once last year) they target people will larger looking carryons (wheeled especially).

I didn't have anyone weigh my carryon last year, however, I dont want to risk paying a fee to check it if it goes over the 12lb limit.

I also had to find a new carryon, as my old one was 6lbs. Half the weight of the damned limit, empty! I had to switch to a nylon very lightweight duffel type bag.

Who weights carry on bags?? have never hard of this before or had this done??
Quite a lot of airlines are known to do this, but it's hard to get reliable information about when and why, because it always seems a bit random. Maybe they target certain flights, or maybe it is just random.

I can be random but on Qantas it is all the carry on bags unless they are really tiny. They are weighed at luggage check in.

I've had it happen on BA on flights out of Germany and on airlines around Europe.

I am convinced that carry on bags with wheels make you a target to have your bag weighed and seriously looked at. I gave up a wheeled carry on bag long ago.

As already noted your case may be pushing it. I have a similar large case I use for cruises and have had a gate agent pull out a tape only once and fortunately their measurement came in under 62" but you never know. Also a problem with such a large case can be the weight limit though I generally come in under a few pounds of the max.

I know I am overthinking this, but I just bought a 16x12x10 carryon. 38 in. right? US Air says something like 9" depth, but I add the numbers and go by that. Sorry for the dumb question, but I haven't flown since 2001.

I just bought a 16x12x10 carryon. 38 in. right? US Air says something like 9" depth, but I add the numbers and go by that.
US Airways actually says you're allowed 45" (as in 22" x 14" x 9").

Sure, never you mind that US Airways says 9". You go ahead and go by whatever numbers you want to add up.

Just be aware that if your bag 10" in that dimension and it doesn't fit in the sizing frame or box, it's ultimately US Airways' rules that will apply to determine whether it's allowed in the cabin or not. And US Airways' rules say 9" in that dimension, even though the total of the three dimensions is only 38".

This brings up an interesting question.

The smallest restriction I seem to have on my upcoming flight is an inter-europe one and they state:

45in (22in / 16in / 7in)

So my question is, why do companies keep making bags and labeling them as "carry on" when they are larger, or "lightweight" when they weigh 6lbs (of the 12lbs I'm allowed to board this airline.

Is it just because I'm getting my luggage in America? If i went shopping overseas would carryon luggage be smaller or are they selling them "large" over there too.

Just curious.

I'm doing what I can to adhere to the above measure so that I'm not flagged, but had I not researched every airline I'm taking and looked at tons of bags I'd probably not realize that the bag I had was 1.) too large and 2.) empty weighs 1/2 the total weight limit for a carryon for my European carrier.

Leads me to wonder why there isn't more of a standard across continents so that this becomes a little less cumbersome for the consumer. Why sell "carryon" bags that you can't carry on? Seems like false advertising.

For those of us who price shop, there is a risk of finding luggage and carryon bags that are discounted because they are too large and/or too heavy and were acceptable some years ago.

I have seen luggage at department stores which was also in the too large catagory, but the tags and signs indicated the bags were legal size.

We have to do our own research and be informed or pay and pay with all sorts of fees.

Don't even get me started about the differences in the carry on laws and restrictions for what we have with the TSA and what other countries require or allow.

For those of us who price shop, there is a risk of finding luggage and carryon bags that are discounted because they are too large and/or too heavy and were acceptable some years ago.

I have seen luggage at department stores which was also in the too large catagory, but the tags and signs indicated the bags were legal size.

We have to do our own research and be informed or pay and pay with all sorts of fees.

Don't even get me started about the differences in the carry on laws and restrictions for what we have with the TSA and what other countries require or allow.

I feel the same as you. It's been a frustrating experience. Last year I flew nonstop so I wasn't aware of all of this (and didn't have as large of a carry-on restriction weight wise).

Also - does anyone know if a CPAP qualifies as a "personal item" on European carriers? My boyfriend will be traveling with one for the first time, and I checked the TAP website and see no info regarding personal items and when you call them, you never get an operator (at least I've not been successful despite waiting on the line 30 minutes).

Also - does anyone know if a CPAP qualifies as a "personal item" on European carriers? My boyfriend will be traveling with one for the first time, and I checked the TAP website and see no info regarding personal items and when you call them, you never get an operator (at least I've not been successful despite waiting on the line 30 minutes).

You could always do a forum search for "CPAP" and find several threads that have dealt with the issue of having your CPAP as a carryon.

Archived