Fort Lauderdale airport question

teachnh

I am flying with my four kids into FLL. My husband and father arrive two hours after me and the kids :eek:. Can a porter take your luggage across the street to the rental car area? I am worried about dragging all the luggage and the kids across the walkway to get out car. Thanks!

I have never seen porters doing that. However, maybe if you ask one at the luggage carousel and reward him well, he might do it. He will take you to your car rental counter normally. Would all your luggage fit on one Paid luggage cart? You could take that across the roadway to the car rental spots.

The rental car pavillion at FLL is kind of great and kind of a mess for you. You can get a porter to get your luggage to the curb where the Rental Car Pavillian shuttle bus arrives. The driver will help you with the bags both when you get on the bus and when you arrive at the pavillion. Here's where it gets tricky. How do you get you, your kids and your bags from the rental car counter to the car in the parking garage?

You might be able to get one of the rental car employees to help you, I don't believe that I've seen those carts to load up the bags at the rental car pavillion.

Perhaps you can send the bags with the guys. You've got your hands full with 4 children!

I suspect with liberal tips, you can make it work.

They'll do it if you pony up a generous tip..otherwise they will laugh at you..no kidding..and they will stand there and call you cheap if you give them a meager tip (yes, I have seen that happen!)

Thanks for your responses! I will make sure I have a lot of low bills that day. If I can get to the rental car counter across the street with the cart then maybe I can get someone from the car company to help.

Perhaps you can send the bags with the guys. You've got your hands full with 4 children!

Bags fly free on my airline!

I really don't see how this can be done.

:eek: I will have to find a way! :D

Thanks for your responses! I will make sure I have a lot of low bills that day. If I can get to the rental car counter across the street with the cart then maybe I can get someone from the car company to help.

Just so you know, the rental car pavillian isn't across the street at all terminals, only terminal 1.

Curious - what are you then going to do once you rent the car? Are you not waiting for your party to arrive two hours later? Are you going to go to the hotel and then come back to the AP to get them? With all the kids?

BTW, you can walk to the Car Rental center. It's not that far; we just did it. There is a shuttle bus but I should think with the kids and luggage, that might be more of a challenge. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your responses! I will make sure I have a lot of low bills that day.

Do you mean like ones and fives? Honestly, if you want to do what you're proposing, I would offer nothing less than $20.00.

More good info:

Just so you know, the rental car pavillian isn't across the street at all terminals, only terminal 1.

I will look up what terminal we are coming in- thanks!

Curious - what are you then going to do once you rent the car? Are you not waiting for your party to arrive two hours later? Are you going to go to the hotel and then come back to the AP to get them? With all the kids?

I was planning on driving off site and getting the kids lunch. Then waiting for the phone call from my DH to pick them up. They are connecting through Atlanta so that could mean some delays. If they are really delayed I will go to the hotel and let the kids play for a bit.

And for the tip I was thinking over $20 so I would need that and small bills. I'm thinking if I have 7 bags maybe $25? Is that about right?

I know it's a crazy scenario. My father got this trip for us and arranged it all. He had two free tickets on one airline and bought the other five. I am not going to complain, just figure my best plan out. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We did something similar in January at FLL. The thing that helped is we used National and I'm a member of their Emerald Club. With their service you can bypass the counter, go directly into the garage and choose your own car.

When we got off the shuttle bus, the porter did not object to bringing our bags directly to the minivan we chose, especially as there was no waiting.

I am flying with my four kids into FLL. My husband and father arrive two hours after me and the kids :eek:. Can a porter take your luggage across the street to the rental car area? I am worried about dragging all the luggage and the kids across the walkway to get out car. Thanks!

I would pick up the rental car and if the hotel is close to the airport go over there. Just be sure that you and your husband have your cell phones so you can coordinate a pick up spot. I think this is a far better approach keeping in mind that their plane could be delayed and that might involve a longer wait.

Keith

As it occurs to me, why not have you and the kids and the bags go to the hotel with the luggage, and let the guys get the rental?

Depending on where you stay, the taxi may only be $20, and a LOT less fuss, muss and bother for you.

By the time you tip someone and do all that schlepping and wrangle 4 kids to lunch, etc, the heck with it, just get to your hotel, dump your bags, and put the kiddos in their swim suits.

As it occurs to me, why not have you and the kids and the bags go to the hotel with the luggage, and let the guys get the rental?

Depending on where you stay, the taxi may only be $20, and a LOT less fuss, muss and bother for you.

By the time you tip someone and do all that schlepping and wrangle 4 kids to lunch, etc, the heck with it, just get to your hotel, dump your bags, and put the kiddos in their swim suits.

Ah, I was just about to recommend this idea, too.

Archived