Buckets of Beer?

FCOWHER

dave, the only thing I am betting on is that you love to irritate people. If I have to order my beers one at a time so be it. I was just hoping in my original post to get a quick honest answer not start a long thread. Maybe I should pack a collapsible bucket. Joe V.

Zuiderdam 4/23/05-where hopefully I can enjoy a few cold ones while relaxing.:rolleyes:

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

It had nothing to do with the "C-word." My issue was that the original poster asked a valid question and instead of either ignoring it or answering it, the poster was told to go sail on another cruise line if they wanted buckets of beer.

Ah, I see, you're with the "response police."

-dave

"It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off."

Ah, I see, you're with the "response police."

-dave

"It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off."

Dave - I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "My Karma just ran over your Dogma"

I know it has nothing to do with the topic but I saw the quote under your signature and got a chuckle...

"All of us do not drink prune juice and perrier."

Are you sure?

Dang, I guess I need to stop pushing it on ALL my friends! LOL :D

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I choose the "bucket of beer" in Jan/2005 about half way through my cruise because the mixed drinks were so watered down on NCL Majesty.

Yes, I know Majesty is not HAL, but if I find the same to be true on my upcoming Maasdam cruise I'll be looking to buy the bucket of beer again. It tasted good on those hot days too.

Ok, here comes another question sure to stir things up at bit:

Do you know if Maasdam sells Smirnoff Ice? It doesn't matter to me if it comes in a bucket, helmet or a shoe for that matter; I love the stuff!

I asked this question before because my husband likes to keep beer in the room for "cocktail hour" while getting ready for dinner. I was told "yes." Another option is the in-room Beverage Package. You can order 6 domestic beers for $15 - $16 to be delivered to your room. :)

Isn't there a minibar in all the cabins with beer in it?

"

Ok, here comes another question sure to stir things up at bit:

Do you know if Maasdam sells Smirnoff Ice? It doesn't matter to me if it comes in a bucket, helmet or a shoe for that matter; I love the stuff!

Wow, I seem to recall a selection of a few of these. I do recall one of the gals in our CC buddy group ordering a Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I'm not sure about the Smirnoff's... we were on the Maasdam a year ago, so my memory's not so great, sorry.

You guys have me in stitches....

When I read "Bucket of Beer" I was visualizing something the size of a KFC chicken bucket filled w/ a gallon of Bud like we used to do at keggers in the almond orchards of central CA when I was a kid....

Knowing Dave, I'd be willing to bet a case of Asahi SuperDry that's what he was thinking too...

Enjoy your icy-cold ones in good health!

Wow, I seem to recall a selection of a few of these. I do recall one of the gals in our CC buddy group ordering a Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I'm not sure about the Smirnoff's... we were on the Maasdam a year ago, so my memory's not so great, sorry.

Thanks for the reply.

I find "Mike's Hard Lemonade" to be too sweet for my taste, but Smirnoff's Ice is just tart enough to be OH SO GOOD. :)

Anngie: buying a 6-pack for your fridge isn't the same as a "bucket of beer" (which are delivered opened).

Not true. My DH drinks Coors in a can and they have never been opened, nor do we want them opened. He will take them back to the room, get out the small collapsable cooler, tip the steward a $20 to keep ice in the cooler and have one beer on the veranda before dinner . :) The six will last a 7 day cruise because we sometimes head up early and have cocktails in a lounge. We don't drink beer out on deck while sunning, because we prefer to have a "fun" drink. We order a bottle of wine with dinner.

Isn't there a minibar in all the cabins with beer in it?

I don't know if there is beer in the mini bar or not, because we never open the bars, but chances are that the beer isn't Coors. ;)

PS - I will let you know about the buckets when I return from the Oosterdam in three weeks.

Our buckets of beer were not opened - the Lido attendant came by periodically and asked if we wanted a bottle or two opened, otherwise I walked one up to the bartender.

The fridge in the Suite on the Zui was small - I think there were one or two types of beer and a small selection of liquors and a soda or two and water.

I don't think we used the mini bar fridge for anything except our coursages for formal night. :)

MetathoraX: I've never partaken of the juice of the "dried plum" (can't call them prunes any more, at least in California) and if I want bottled water it'll be Evian, but the stuff from the tap is good enough for me.

Evian, Naive spelled backwards, how appropriate.:rolleyes:

[quote name='bepsf'][color=teal]When I read "Bucket of Beer" I was visualizing something the size of a KFC chicken bucket filled w/ a gallon of Bud like we used to do at keggers in the almond orchards of central CA when I was a kid....[/color]

[color=teal]Knowing Dave, I'd be willing to bet a case of Asahi SuperDry that's what he was thinking too...[/color]

[color=teal]Enjoy your icy-cold ones in good health![/color][/QUOTE]

<envisioning a gallon of Bud in a KFC bucket>

No, I was thinking of the pail filled with ice and four Pacificos that DW and I got in Puerto Vallarta, which we enjoyed alongside the best darn BBQ in central Mexico! :)

Ekerr19: Laura - I've got a long list of these little "aphorisms", many of which are unsuitable for such semi-polite company. But I could email them to you! :rolleyes:

-dave
[i][size=1]"Oh I get it... like humour... but different!"[/size][/i]

Aboard the O last fall ... no dark beer.
:-(
But they did sell buckets o' beer on the barbecue night. I didn't go to the barbecue, so I don't know what brands were involved.
Negra Modelo is one of my favorites, but my #1 beer is Blackened Voodoo Lager from N'awlins.

As for the perceived slight way back at the start of the thread ...
It appears that whenever someone says something remotely controversial, along the lines of "I paid for this cruise, I'll wear what I please in the dining room," the person is told to sail on Carnival.

Thus, the mere mention of the "C-word" tends to come across as condescending.

"So, you didn't like the beer on HAL, Oceanwench? Maybe you should book with Carnival next time."
[I made that up.]

[quote name='dakrewser']Ekerr19: Laura - I've got a long list of these little "aphorisms", many of which are unsuitable for such semi-polite company. But I could email them to you! :rolleyes:

-dave
[i][size=1]"Oh I get it... like humour... but different!"[/size][/i][/QUOTE]

I'm game! [email="lskerr@comcast.net"]lskerr@comcast.net[/email]

:D

"A warrior's drink!" -Lt Worf; USS Enterprise NCC-1701D
btw My grandfather had a beer bucket, a stainless steel pail with a clamp-on lid in which he brought home draft beer for later consumption.
Cheers
MarkB
oh yes; on Maasdam in November they had buckets of beer available.

[color=black]This post has me remembering a very funny moment. We sailed on Carnival 6 years ago with 23 people. Carnival wasn't our first choice, but we had 3 families of 5 and 2 families of 4. Carnival was the only line that would let us put 5 in a cabin. Anyway, back to the buckets of beer. My DH and I would get a bucket of 4 Coronas by the pool everyday. I do not drink very fast and do not like warm beer, so this was a nice way to keep beer cold while you were drinking it. I would just stick it back in the bucket of ice. I have read numerous posters saying to bring an insulated mug for your beverage. The bucket of ice is much better than an insulated mug. They should sell buckets of soft drinks by the pool. Anyway, our friends thought the bucket was pretty funny. My husband retired from the Navy shortly after the cruise and we had a retirement party. One of the couples we cruised with presented my husband with a bucket of coronas with lime sticking out of the top. They placed a bag over the bucket of beer and gave a speech about his arm being sore from cradling the bucket for a week. Everyone laughed. [/color]

[color=black]I am sorry that some people think a bucket of beer is a bad thing. I thought it was very convenient in the hot Caribbean sun. My husband also asked if they sold buckets of beer. He certainly would not book a cruise if they didn't, but we enjoy ice cold beer by the pool. I will be sure and let everyone know if they do sell them on the Zaandam in March. I might even take a picture of him holding one for our friends. [/color]

On the Westerdam 1/9, buckets of beer (Miller Lite, Coors Lite, Corona) were for sale. These were NOT opened. Unfortunately this didn't last long - first and maybe second day?, but throughout the cruise they did have 2 for 1 at bingo every day. That is a nice way to save a $ or two! :p

Beer may seem a bit pedestrian when sailing on a wonderful and lovely cruise ship, but we all have our tastes. :)

Archived