Buckets of Beer?

FCOWHER

On all of their ships with the Carnival logo....

Why the sarcastic remark? The poster was just asking a question. I realize that HAL offered a different experience in the past (and still does on their other ships), but the Zuiderdam is attracting a different demographic. I respect that some people want a more sedate experience and do not make sarcastic comments about people who chose that. I think the respect should go both ways.

Does HAL sell the buckets of beer, you know where you can buy 6 beers for the price of 5 etc.? Joe V.

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

On the Maasdam last fall they sold a bucket of four Coronas for a couple of hours one afternoon.

Why the sarcastic remark? The poster was just asking a question. I realize that HAL offered a different experience in the past (and still does on their other ships), but the Zuiderdam is attracting a different demographic. I respect that some people want a more sedate experience and do not make sarcastic comments about people who chose that. I think the respect should go both ways.

Did you say a "sarcasm" smiley in my response (this one :rolleyes: )? Didn't think so, as I always put that in my sarcastic rejoinders. In case you weren't aware, both Carnival and HAL are owned by the same corporation. Carnival's ships feature buckets of beer around the pool. HAL's do not. If "buckets of beer" (that is, 4-6 bottles already opened as opposed to the 6-pak of unopened bottles that HAL's beverage service will deliver) is important, then it's better to sail with Carnival.

Do you have some problem with either Carnival or HAL? Some hidden agenda here? Or are you simply easily offended? :rolleyes: [look: there's that sarcasm indicator!]

-dave

"Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view."

:cool: Why is it that everytime someone posts a question about beer or liquor someone has respond with a smart (not really) ____ answer. All of us do not drink prune juice and perrier.:mad:

As for FCOWHER I will let you know on April 11th after I return from my Zuiderdam cruise.:D

Dekrewser, if I had wanted an answer about a Carnival cruise than I would have went on the Carnival board.:rolleyes: Perhaps you did not know that this was a HAL board.:rolleyes: Joe V.

Zuiderdam 4/23/05-where hopefully I can enjoy a few cold ones while relaxing.:rolleyes:

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

Actually I think the title could be a red flag for traditional HAL lovers. I saw it and will confess that my first thought was "sign up for Carnival". Now instead if the title had been gallons of cheap wine I would have been wondering where to sign up for the special !!

For the record, if you saw someone recently strolling through some of the ports in Mexico trying to bargain down prices for Corona (almost free!!!), that would be me.

Why bash all the beer drinkers? Come on folks, it's a cruise! Some of us like to kick back and have a few beers by the pool, geez!!!

To answer this question -

YES - they sell beer by the bucket. It is a great deal, we like to get the Corona bucket, sometimes they even have a special price for them, but they are still cheaper than buying them individually!

Ekerr, is that something new? I didn't notice they did that on the Rotterdam last year, but then again, I am not a beer drinker. I still like the idea of buying so many glasses of wine for a certain price. Hope they have those onboard the Zuiderdam and Volendam.

For the record I am not trying to change HAL's demographic. I just wanted to know if I would be able to order a few beers, kept cold together in a bucket, while relaxing by the pool or while out on deck. While I am on vacation I enjoy drinking some beers during the day. I hope I did not offend any tradational HAL clients. I am intending to go on this cruise and relax, but if my ordering a few beers during the day is going to bother anyone then perhaps I picked the wrong cruise for my group ages 25-70. I choose HAL because DW and I love the tradational cruise features that HAL offers. I have been on Carnival and do not want to enjoy what they have to offer again. I enjoyed Carnival when I was 22 but I loved my last few Princess and RCI cruises and thought HAL would be an upgrade. But if me drinking a few beers while on deck is going to bother my fellow passengers than I have defintely chosen the wrong line. I hope this is not the case. Joe V.

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

Ekerr, is that something new? I didn't notice they did that on the Rotterdam last year, but then again, I am not a beer drinker. I still like the idea of buying so many glasses of wine for a certain price. Hope they have those onboard the Zuiderdam and Volendam.

doone- I am really excited about the wine by the glass option, but to answer your question - yes, we've gotten beer by the bucket on almost every cruise, starting with our Amsterdam Panama Canal Holiday cruise in 2000. Sometimes we have to ask the bartender to fix us up a bucket and they always do - and discount the price a bit - sometimes it is a special of the day.

Also, we have only ordered this from the Lido pool area bars, not in the Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar... or any other inside bar.

YES - they sell beer by the bucket. It is a great deal, we like to get the Corona bucket, sometimes they even have a special price for them, but they are still cheaper than buying them individually!

There were no buckets of beer on the O'dam last month. Well, there was in the Queen's Lounge but only during the football game.

And, for the record, no one got bashed! Certainly not by this beer drinker (right now, in my fridge, you'll find some Tecate, Moosehead, Negra Modelo, Guinness and Newcastle Brown). WE did buy a "bucket of beer" at the No-name cafe in Puerto Vallarta, though.

Anngie: buying a 6-pack for your fridge isn't the same as a "bucket of beer" (which are delivered opened).

MetathoraX: I've never partaken of the juice of the "dried plum" (can't call them prunes any more, at least in California) and if I want bottled water it'll be Evian, but the stuff from the tap is good enough for me.

I hope I did not offend any tradational HAL clients by I am intending to go on this cruise and relax, but if my ordering a few beers during the day is going to bother anyone then perhaps I picked the wrong cruise for my group ages 25-70.

Joe - No offense here. You will find many cruisers enjoying their buckets of beer by the pool. :)

DH loves to have a few beers during the day, especially when we are sitting out by the pool. Have a great cruise and drink your beers!

There were no buckets of beer on the O'dam last month. Well, there was in the Queen's Lounge but only during the football game.

Dave - sometimes we have to ask, and we've only asked at the Dolphin Bar or whatever the Lido pool bar is called on various ships... they put them in a metal bucket filled with ice and you can take them to your lounge chair. Some ships have the baby Coronas which I prefer, sometimes it's hard for me to finish one before it gets warm. :)

Does HAL sell the buckets of beer, you know where you can buy 6 beers for the price of 5 etc.?

Sorry you got caught in the crossfire here where some seem to see the word "Carnival" as a red flag. If by "bucket of beer" you actually meant "6-pack I can keep in the fridge" then, yes, that is available on HAL ships.

-dave

PS - I wonder, if I'd said "NCL" (or Princess, for that matter), whether the responses would have been so outrageous?

dakrewser, there was a reason you did choose Carnival and not Princess or NCL. You got the results you were looking for. You have too many posts all over these boards to not know what you were implying. But its all water under the ship now, I know the answer to my question and I will be drinking my ice cold brewskies from my bucket on 4/23/05. Thanks all. Joe V.

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

It had nothing to do with the "C-word." My issue was that the original poster asked a valid question and instead of either ignoring it or answering it, the poster was told to go sail on another cruise line if they wanted buckets of beer.

One the Volendam in late November, there was a sign sitting at one end of the Lido Pool Bar....."Bucket of Beer $12.95.

They did not seem to be doing a big voulme in buckets, but they were available.

On Carnival last week, there were buckets sold by the bucket-load! Empty beer cans and buckets of empty beer cans everyhere from one end of the Lido deck to the other.

dakrewser, there was a reason you did choose Carnival and not Princess or NCL. You got the results you were looking for. You have too many posts all over these boards to not know what you were implying. But its all water under the ship now, I know the answer to my question and I will be drinking my ice cold brewskies from my bucket on 4/23/05. Thanks all. Joe V.

Be sure to come back and tell us if you do. I'm betting you'll be buying them one at a time...

-dave

Archived