Options for a third person in room

kampinguru

We will be taking our 18 year old daughter on a cruise with us and wondered what the options were for a room for 3 with some privacy and a comfortable bed for her. I dont think the pull out couch would be suitable for the week. It almost looks like I can get adjoining inside rooms cheaper than I can get a suite, but wondered if there is something in the middle that I am missing. Thanks

We will be taking our 18 year old daughter on a cruise with us and wondered what the options were for a room for 3 with some privacy and a comfortable bed for her. I dont think the pull out couch would be suitable for the week. It almost looks like I can get adjoining inside rooms cheaper than I can get a suite, but wondered if there is something in the middle that I am missing. Thanks
In this situation I would definitely go for "something in the middle" by booking a balcony cabin for the parents and an inside cabin across the hall for the daughter.

Advantages: privacy, a comfortable bed for her, much more storage space for all and the benefit of gaining that very important second bathroom.

She could even bring a friend along for companionship and to share the cost of the inside cabin.

In this situation I would definitely go for "something in the middle" by booking a balcony cabin for the parents and an inside cabin across the hall for the daughter.

Advantages: privacy, a comfortable bed for her, much more storage space for all and the benefit of gaining that very important second bathroom.

She could even bring a friend along for companionship and to share the cost of the inside cabin.

Can 18 year-olds stay in a cabin without an adult???

Shocking to realize that 18 year olds are adults in the eyes of the law (think HIPAA and FERPA laws :-) but cruise lines each have their own rules. Celebrity's is here: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000vQTjU9sW0-zzI76Dx426kSi:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Age+Requirements&faqId=378&pagename=faq_answers

(note that across the hall can either be deemed connecting or you can register an adult in each room)

We survived with our 18 year old in a Solstice 1A cabin with a large balcony because she used the pullman bed and not the trundle, which is difficult to navigate around when open. She found friends quickly on the Christmas cruise and had a great time..rarely in our room. If you are considering a Solstice class ship, search this forum..there are many threads about the 3/4 passenger bedding. Here's one with photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=901389&highlight=

If you have another ship in mind, click search this forum to learn more about other cabin designs.

Keep in mind also with two cabins you will have two bathrooms whi.ch at dinner time can be a plus[/quote

Depends on what you want to spend. Two rooms provides more privacy, 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, and different wake-up times!

I would check to see what the cost of the single is on your cruise --- it may pay the difference to upgrade to a larger cabin or a suite.

If you have a TA, ask him or her to call the cruise line and research this for you in terms of price and availability.

As a previous poster wrote, we had our adult daughter with us on our 2 week Eclipse cruise in a 2A balcony cabin. She had the pull down from the ceiling bed on the recommendation of the cabin attendent over the one in the sofa. She thought it was really comfortable, but it did make the cabin a bit cramped (especially with all of her gear taking over the room-lol!). But it is doable and it turned out to be our best cruise yet.

A Family Oceanview cabin would be an option

The FV cabins I've been in (M-Class) use sofa beds for anyone beyond the first 2 people.

Can 18 year-olds stay in a cabin without an adult???

Yes. Celebrity will usually require you to book an adult in the room and check in that way but after you are checked in the Customer Relations desk will gladly change the assignments and keys. I believe the rule is to prevent under-age customers from sailing without any adults in their group.

Personally, I'd go for the adjoining or nearby cabin. We sailed with our children three times. The first 2 times they were teens and we always had a cabin next door or across the hall from them. The last time they were in their early 20's and we told the TA to make sure they were on a different floor from us. Seriously, you're probably right that adjoining rooms can be cheaper than a suite and the addition of a little privacy and the second bathroom will go a long way towards making your cruise more enjoyable for all. Personally, if going that route I'd allow our daughter to bring along a friend since the rate for 2 is virtually the same as for 1 in a cabin so the only extra cost is airfare, tips, excursions and incidentals. We actually did just that on one cruise.

Archived