Bringing drinks on board YES or NO

Ok I've been reading on here for 2 or 3 years about bringing soda and bottle water on board. Some say Yes RCI will let you and then I read where No RCI won't let you. So my question " is it legal to bring on soda or bottle water or not. If it matters what cruise it is -FOS out of Port Canaveral ? I realize lots of people have done it but is it legal yes or no? Thanks

The below is from the RCCL website. Only you can decide of this is a rule you want to follow.

Have a good cruise

M

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

"Legal" is probably not the right word, but until recently there was no policy prohibiting it. Seems they've adjusted the language in their Guest Conduct Policy to now state that neither alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard.

You will probably find very few accounts of soda or water being disallowed in actual practice, though.

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

That last bit I have not seen before - even after seeing dozens of pastings of the rules in various posts. The distinction for embarkation day definitely contradicts all the many posts about the "naughty room" luggage retrieval routine when boarding. With very few exceptions people detail being given a receipt and told to pick the item up after noon on the last full day. The above would seem to indicate a change.

Whether they follow their own policy is a whole different thing.

We're sailing on Liberty on 8/15 and upon reviewing my electronic documents, it does not say that non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited. There is a section that specifically mentions certain things that can't be brought onboard (firearms, knives, irons, baseball bats, personal alcohol, etc), but non-alcoholic beverages are not included in this list.

In this documentation, there is a specific section outlining the "Alcoholic Beverage Policy" that states "Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use." This section mentions the right to inspect containers (water bottles, mouthwash, etc), but again, there is no mention of non-alcoholic beverages.

So, while the Q&A portion of the RC website may say that non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed, I'm reading directly from my Cruise Contract and there is nothing regarding non-alcoholic beverages.

Historically we've brought bottled water & 2 12-pks of caffeine-free diet pepsi on board and we've never been told we couldn't take it onboard. Our last cruise was in Feb 2010 on Independence and again, no prob.

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

The highlighted wording is something that has always puzzled me about this debate.

How can they inspect water and soda bottles for alcohol if those items are prohibited? Seems like there wouldn't be any inspection needed, they would just toss them out or return them after cruise regardless of the contents?

This is the most talked about post on Cruise Critics. Somehow people all want to sneak drinks alcoholic or non alcoholic on board. I am not a spokesperson for RCCL but the line is in business to make money. Would you walk into a restaurant such as Olive Garden or Red Lobster and bring a bottle of Vodka and ask the bar person to make you a drink with your own bottle? BYOB restaurants are far a few between.

I brought water and a variety of diet soda as I dont like diet colas.. I did not try to sneak this onboard, I checked it with my bagage.. I asked if it was ok because I was not sure, they said yes, stuck room stickers on the boxes of soda and water and took them..

I brought water and a variety of diet soda as I dont like diet colas.. I did not try to sneak this onboard, I checked it with my bagage.. I asked if it was ok because I was not sure, they said yes, stuck room stickers on the boxes of soda and water and took them..

Glad to hear this. How did you have it wrapped up before turning it over?I thought about a 12-24pk of Pepsi. Just putting plastic wrap around the original cardboard holder and slapping a room tag on it?

This is the most talked about post on Cruise Critics. Somehow people all want to sneak drinks alcoholic or non alcoholic on board. I am not a spokesperson for RCCL but the line is in business to make money. Would you walk into a restaurant such as Olive Garden or Red Lobster and bring a bottle of Vodka and ask the bar person to make you a drink with your own bottle? BYOB restaurants are far a few between.

a co-worker of mine does! he orders a diet coke and adds his bourbon. never done that myself, but I am guilty of bringing my own soda and water on a cruise. not a lot, usually just 6 of each.

We sailed out of Miami on Liberty of the seas and had a case of bottled water we bought at Target the night before. We had an extra RCCL luggage tag and put it on the case of water and gave it to the porter outside with the rest of our luggage. The case of water arrived in our room along with the rest of our luggage.

Regarding Olive Garden, no.. but i would take a small bottle, order some Cranberry juice and mix my own! ;) Same on a cruise..........

Like one poster said how do you wrap it or take it on if not in luggage. Do you wrap the container someway and put a luggage tag on?:confused:
When we sailed Liberty last summer, I taped 2 twelve packs of soda together with that heavy clear packing tape, and then put one of our luggage tags right on it. Gave it to the porter curbside and it was delivered to our cabin. No problem !! :)

We're sailing on Liberty on 8/15 and upon reviewing my electronic documents, it does not say that non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited. There is a section that specifically mentions certain things that can't be brought onboard (firearms, knives, irons, baseball bats, personal alcohol, etc), but non-alcoholic beverages are not included in this list.

In this documentation, there is a specific section outlining the "Alcoholic Beverage Policy" that states "Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use." This section mentions the right to inspect containers (water bottles, mouthwash, etc), but again, there is no mention of non-alcoholic beverages.

So, while the Q&A portion of the RC website may say that non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed, I'm reading directly from my Cruise Contract and there is nothing regarding non-alcoholic beverages.

Historically we've brought bottled water & 2 12-pks of caffeine-free diet pepsi on board and we've never been told we couldn't take it onboard. Our last cruise was in Feb 2010 on Independence and again, no prob.

Sparky I am with you on this one, we can discuss our success or lack of at the meet and mingle on the 16th. I see no issue with checking water or soda, or carrying on. We still will buy are son a soda card, but it is nice to have some cold ones in the room for that late night thirst.

I'm not trying to get away with anything. That's why I asked. because if its legal I would bring the bottled water rather than pay $72 for a case on the ship. I know they're trying to make money but give me a break!!!

The highlighted wording is something that has always puzzled me about this debate.

How can they inspect water and soda bottles for alcohol if those items are prohibited? Seems like there wouldn't be any inspection needed, they would just toss them out or return them after cruise regardless of the contents?

I'm surprised nobody else picked up on your very astute point. If these types of beverages are not allowed, why bother inspecting them at all? Shouldn't they just be discarded, since they're not allowed?? :confused:

Also, they say they will inspect mouthwash containers for alcohol. Well, doesn't mouthwash contain alcohol in the first place?? :confused:

I'm not trying to get away with anything. That's why I asked. because if its legal I would bring the bottled water rather than pay $72 for a case on the ship. I know they're trying to make money but give me a break!!!

I agree that price for water is rediculous! I will be bringing my own case of water on board.

I'm surprised nobody else picked up on your very astute point. If these types of beverages are not allowed, why bother inspecting them at all? Shouldn't they just be discarded, since they're not allowed?? :confused:

Also, they say they will inspect mouthwash containers for alcohol. Well, doesn't mouthwash contain alcohol in the first place?? :confused:

Every time that is quoted I think the very same thing - why bother if they don't allow them:confused:

In the past I have taken two 12-packs of soda (in the boxes), taped them together (with colorful duct tape) to reinforce the boxes and put a luggage tag on them and they arrived with the luggage.

Every time that is quoted I think the very same thing - why bother if they don't allow them:confused:

I think the reason it reads that way is that they just recently stuck the words about non-alcoholic beverages into the existing policy. They don't really care about the non-alcoholic stuff, but many people try to sneak alcohol in other containers. This wording gives them a justification to confiscate other beverages, when they feel they need to in order to control alcohol smuggling (perhaps around spring break, for example).

Disclaimer: The above involves my opinions and assumptions and is not something I'm trying to claim as definitive fact.

Archived