Bringing drinks on board YES or NO

Point #1: The loss of profit is negligible. They would have to do it on EVERY ship EVERY time (which they do not) for prolly 3-6 months before word got around and people stopped trying. Secondly the people and storage areas are already in existence, they are used at every port where you CAN buy alcohol and have it kept for you until the last evening.

Point #2: HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. *deep breath* HAHAHAAHAHAA. What on earth makes you think that they would even for a second consider lowering rates because they made money from selling confiscated booze? That's just gonna go in the stockholders check at the end of the year.

In your mind, the loss of profits is "negligible".

And if you read my post, you would understand that I specifically mentioned that I do not expect them to lower costs, so again, you make a point that is beyond erroneous, imagine that!

However, as specifically stated, when you or others cause a business to incur costs, those costs are passed on to the customer.

Again, it is basic economics.

They are a business that needs to make a profit. Whether they can pass that on to their shareholders or to their customers in better services or reduced costs, that is all part of doing business. When they determine it better to pass it on to sharholders and fail to provide added value to the customer, the customer will go elsewhere.

However, you just need to understand that when you incur a cost to a business, the customer ultimately and always pays for it.

As for your HAHAHAHAHA .... that was the most sense any of your posts have made so far.:D

Secondly the people and storage areas are already in existence, they are used at every port where you CAN buy alcohol and have it kept for you until the last evening.

We were discussing embarkation and bringing beverages on board at that time.

So .... Tell me all about the alcohol storage areas of RCCL in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Bayonne.:confused:

I await your specific expertise on that one.:cool:

I believe that one is point, set, match.:D

Customers who try to bring alcohol on board are not negatively impacting customers who do not in any way. The cruise line will spend money on security screeners regardless of the rum runners...

People who do bring alcohol on board are smart because

a) they save money

b) fiesta en el cuarto :rolleyes:

So please don't use the word "stupidity" when referring to your fellow cruise critic members - it just reflects poorly on yourself.

I have to tell you that the first few nights I was without my own alcohol stash and my bar bill was quite high - the last few nights I managed to get some on from the ports and my spending per night went down dramatically.

Customers who try to bring alcohol on board are not negatively impacting customers who do not in any way.

Ever been told that when you find yourself in a hole that you do not wish to be in, to STOP digging?

Your assertion is beyond preposterous. It is so absurd that I cannot even waste any more time in an attempt to explain it to you, as you have proven over and over again that basic economics is beyond your abilities to understand.:cool:

People who do bring alcohol on board are smart because

a) they save money

b) fiesta en el cuarto :rolleyes:

After further consideration and much soul searching, I have reconsidered.

You make great points.:rolleyes:

I am the ignoramus.:(

You are a genius.:cool:

Really, get a grip.

Obviously, you do not understand capitalism, the free market, and economics. The cruise line needs to make a profit. To do so, they need to cut costs and increase revenue.

For example, you bring a bunch of beverages against their policy. You expect the cruise line then to hire people to confiscate your beverages, and then store your beverages, and protect your beverages until you return?:confused:

That is additional cost that is passed on to me and all other cruisers.

I really do not expect RCCL to lower prices for me, however, economically speaking, when they have to expend resources because of your failure to follow their written policies, that is a cost to RCCL, and that is a cost passed on to me and all cruisers.

Basic economics 101.

And if you and others have a problem with that policy, and it "pisses you off" enough, let the free market prevail, and sail on another cruise line that meets your specific criteria.

However, do not attempt to tell me that customers that violate written policy should be protected from their own stupidity, and I should bear the cost of it. Now, protecting the ignorant from their own stupidity, that in a nutshell is communism at work.

There is nothing wrong with "making a profit" but there is when the price they charge they should collect it wearing a mask and carrying a gun.

I've carried it on the ship through security and last year, I put 2 of the 6 bottle packs into a duffle bag and checked it with the curb side porters. It was delivered to our cabin with our other luggage.

I've never had anyone question it.

You have to decide what is best for you.

Have a great cruise!:)

"Legal" is probably not the right word, but until recently there was no policy prohibiting it. Seems they've adjusted the language in their Guest Conduct Policy to now state that neither alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard.

You will probably find very few accounts of soda or water being disallowed in actual practice, though.

I agree that "legal" is not the right word, it's certainly not against the law. But as for RCCL policies, who can keep up? I sure can't, and I'm a pretty avid researcher of all things cruise-related. :rolleyes:

I do have an account of water being confiscated. We disembarked the Mariner yesterday, and while we were in line at Guest Relations sometime during the week, there was a very upset gentleman behind us. He heard us talking to the Front Desk Manager (new title for that position, I noticed) and thought we were discussing water for some reason (we weren't). But he was there to talk to her about the cases of water that were taken from him at embarkation. I don't take water as I like the water on board just fine, but I know it is important to some. DH has caught a cold the last three times we were on Mariner so boiled his water in the teapot all week in case it was somehow related to the water (I can't see how, but I guess you never know). We priced the water package for what we would need for a week and we could've bought a seven day wine package for the same amount of money...no wonder they're taking water!

That last bit I have not seen before - even after seeing dozens of pastings of the rules in various posts. The distinction for embarkation day definitely contradicts all the many posts about the "naughty room" luggage retrieval routine when boarding. With very few exceptions people detail being given a receipt and told to pick the item up after noon on the last full day. The above would seem to indicate a change.

Whether they follow their own policy is a whole different thing.

I had not seen the language about not returning confiscated alcohol before, either, unless it was alcohol not in original containers. However, we met a respectable older gent in the Diamond "event" last week who was called to the "naughty room" on deck one, where they took his bottle of wine from his checked bag and informed him he would not be getting it back.

The ironic thing is, in the Diamond "event", as he pointed out to me, he was drinking their wine for free instead of enjoying his own bottle, which RCCL didn't pay for, in the cabin. :rolleyes:

The highlighted wording is something that has always puzzled me about this debate.

How can they inspect water and soda bottles for alcohol if those items are prohibited? Seems like there wouldn't be any inspection needed, they would just toss them out or return them after cruise regardless of the contents?

Good point! We actually thought the non-alcoholic beverage thing was currently fine (as one poster pointed out our cruise contract did not mention them). We went through security in San Pedro, each holding a partial bottle of water we were drinking. Security took mine and did the "shake test" and handed it back to me. Behind me, DH was delayed. I figured they needed to checked the bottle of Diet Sprite and the bottle of Gatorade that were in his bag, but no....they wondered what the long, skinny object was. :eek: It was my curling iron, lol! :confused::cool:

This certainly is a lively thread!!! I do have one question...how much water do you think we can check? I drink about 6 bottles of water a day (typically refill at a water cooler) so a 6 or 12 pack would not get me very far!!! I do realize I will be drinking other such drinks but I do want to have my water!

I brought water and a variety of diet soda as I dont like diet colas.. I did not try to sneak this onboard, I checked it with my bagage.. I asked if it was ok because I was not sure, they said yes, stuck room stickers on the boxes of soda and water and took them..

How long ago was this, and at what port?

This certainly is a lively thread!!! I do have one question...how much water do you think we can check? I drink about 6 bottles of water a day (typically refill at a water cooler) so a 6 or 12 pack would not get me very far!!! I do realize I will be drinking other such drinks but I do want to have my water!

Unlimited water is available on the ship for free.

...had to throw away our open water bottles at the security checkpoint, but were told that we could have brought in any sealed liquid we wanted, explicitly including wine. Huh?

which ship was this please,do you lock your cases that you check in ????? That just goes against everything that everyone has said previously.

I am not sure if we'll bring on our own bottles of water or not. We don't mind the tap water, but would like something to drink from rather than constantly going to get cups all the time. Can we do that? Can we take a tumbler/sipper bottle/etc.?

I am not sure if we'll bring on our own bottles of water or not. We don't mind the tap water, but would like something to drink from rather than constantly going to get cups all the time. Can we do that? Can we take a tumbler/sipper bottle/etc.?

yes

We were just on the majesty and all the water areas had signs saying that for hygiene reasons, you could not refill water bottles, etc. My BF got shooed away a couple of times while trying to refill his water bottle.

I don't quite understand the "hygiene" aspect since it's not like the rim of the water bottle touches anything while being refilled :confused:

We took it as a -Don't refill water bottles b/c then we can't sell you the "water package" or the overpriced bottles in the room-

I have not read posts 2-68.

I am currently on the Mariner.

My friend brought on a 12 pack of Caffeine Free Diet Coke in her checked bag - no problem. Her other bag was "flagged" because of a large bottle of juice. As soon as she went down and identified it as juice, they let her go.

I just re-boarded the ship in Puerto Vallarta. My roommate bought three cans of Coke and a litre bottle of water right on the pier, at a bar. They put it in a plastic bag for her. She put the plastic bag of three cans and one bottle on the conveyer belt, it went through the scanner, and no one said "boo".

Yeah I remember some people being told they couldn't refill their water bottles or whatever they had. They had to do it by their cup or something. I didn't get it either, but plan to take my own and have the bartender fill it with their water thing, otherwise, one cup at a time will be a pita!

the hygiene deal is like people putting their mouths on watering fountains - if you drank out of the bottle , it's got your cooties on it!

maybe YOU are careful to not let anything touch, but I'm not keen on trusting the rest of the people on the ship. I doubt bartender would hook you up, either.

Just get a glass and fill it and use the glass to fill your bottle. Sure, seems the long way around, but less cooties!

Can box wine be picked up either in the carry-on or checked luggage?

I am having my first balcony and would like to sit on my deck and enjoy a glass of wine. Other cruise lines do allow one bottle per person to bring on board. I do not think that is unreasonable.

I do bring water on board and will be bringing some onboard in a couple of weeks. I am amazed that RCCL has this policy for non alcoholic beverages. I usually bring water and cranberry juice.

If they confiscate my water, I will be out $4.00. Not a big deal, but it does make one shake their head.

Do they have bottled water in the concierge lounge?

RCCL has a captive audience, so I guess we the customers can make the choice of either cruising with them or not.

ML

Archived