Orca Enterprises - Juneau

cruisesusie

Does anyone know if Orca requires payment in advance ? I checked their website and wasn't able to find anything. I first checked with Harv and Marv and they require payment 60 days before the trip. I would rather not prepay. Also, any experience with Orca? I did a search and found many favorable reviews.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan,

They will charge you the final payment, the day before the excursion. I had to make one cancelation because the person backed out of the cruise. Orca, very kindly, did not charge us the $25 fee. The business is small and run by family members.

Last mointh, I went whale watching with Captain Jim and Guide Jen. We saw humpback whales, eagles, seals and a big pod of Orcas. Captain Jim heard me say, "I want to see Orcas" and he found us a large pod of orcas. They provided very powerful binoculars for us to use. Jen gave us a lot of info about the whales, etc. We had a fantastic time.

Thanks for your replies. I guess prepayment is standard so we'll have to go with it.

Susan

well think about it. With no commitment from the customer, they can show up or not at the last minute.

IF you don't want to pay, then get off your ship early, and book a whale watch when you get to Juneau. Very likely will have availabity. I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises (went out on 3 trips with them this year :) ) and highly recommend them.

IF you don't want to pay, then get off your ship early, and book a whale watch when you get to Juneau. Very likely will have availabity. I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises (went out on 3 trips with them this year :) ) and highly recommend them.

If we decided to wait until we get off the ship to try to book w/Orca Enterprises are they easy to find at the dock?

If we decided to wait until we get off the ship to try to book w/Orca Enterprises are they easy to find at the dock?

They're right across the street from the Mt Roberts Tramway, under the life-size orca sculpture. I've just walked over for each of my 3 trips with them and had no problem getting a space.

You can add that by phone or at the office when you arrive.

I only recommend you book this ahead. You want to make sure they have space, and are going there for your tour. I believe there is an extra charge of which you have to take care of at some point.

I'm with the other posters and recommend you prebook if that is what you want to do. Of course if you are unsure then you shouldn't.

You've spent money to take a weeklong cruise to alaska. It would be a pitty that in hindsight you wished to see whales and in the one port where whale watching is big and almost guranteed you miss it because you simply don't preserver and they are full when you get off the ship.

yes there are other things to see and do in Juneau, and maybe whale watch isn't tops on what you think to do WOW list. FWIW I was asking my teen age boy, 16, yesterday if he liked the whale watch. He honestly answered that it was "pretty good, I didn't think seeing a bunch of tails and spouts for a few seconds on a couple hour boat ride would be fun, but it was." My younger two kids both had a blast, YMMV. Of course the helicopter / dog sledding was first for all the kids.

We booked in advance, and the cancellation period came and went. We got in at Juneau, it was cold, raining, and misty. The Whale watch was still one of the highlights even in those conditions. Still very glad we went, and that we had a guaranteed slot on a recommended tour provider.

YMMV

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I booked the tour with Orca including the stop at Mendenhall. Looking forward to seeing all those whales...

Susan

We had only a few whales, but they put on a show. Two surfaced within 30 feet of the boat. I started to feel a little like Ishmael on thePequod. :eek:

We went with Orca Enterprises last week (Aug 6, 2010) and was so impressed with them. Starting with their super friendly office staff right up to Capt Larry. Pam provided loads of entertainment as she drove us from the office to the marina to get on their boat. When we first got out to where the whales were, there were a ton of other whale watching boats in that area so Capt Larry found a better, less crowded spot and the show the whales put on was fantastic even coming up within 50 feet of the boat. I would highly recomment Orca Enterprises to anyone and when I go back to Juneau, will go out with them again.

Pam provided loads of entertainment as she drove us from the office to the marina to get on their boat. .

I've known Pam for years, and indeed is a delight. She actually is also a boat cpt, and has a vast knowledge and wit, that I so enjoy. :)

We were also out with them last Friday (Aug. 6th) and although we have done whale watching in Maui for 20+ years and have had stellar encounters, Captain Larry was able to get us some prime whale viewing including our first time ever seeing bubble net feeding -- multiple times! I was a little skeptical at first when he pulled away from the first bubble net feeding pod without stopping but by the time we were done, we had seen so many whales and wanted to stay onboard and go again!

There were only 25 people on the boat so plenty of room to move around. Only drawback is that they limit the number of people who can go up top to 12 at a time which was kind of a drag when you want to shoot photos from above. All in all, would definitely recommend them.

(and yes, we were also one of the people who had trouble getting written confirmation and it was down to the wire a few days before we left when I called twice and on the second call, I finally got them to send me an email confirmation. I mentioned to Pam, who was our driver and is the owner's daughter, that lack of timely response is a complaint often seen on here and she said they are aware of it and are working to make it better and even hired someone just to handle reservation confirmations so hopefully we'll see an improvement)

Archived