Seattle Light Rail - anyone use it from SeaTac?

Kissyfur19

We are staying at the Mayflower Park before our cruise and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to our hotel from the airport. I understand it is "right next to" the lightrail station and that we can catch the lightrail every 10 mins from SeaTac. What I am trying to find out what exactly "right next to" means. Across the street or the next block over and around the corner are a huge difference when you are lugging 4 pieces of luggage.

Thanks!

We are staying at the Mayflower Park before our cruise and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to our hotel from the airport. I understand it is "right next to" the lightrail station and that we can catch the lightrail every 10 mins from SeaTac. What I am trying to find out what exactly "right next to" means. Across the street or the next block over and around the corner are a huge difference when you are lugging 4 pieces of luggage.

Thanks!

"Right next to" is kind of a misnomer. It is attached to the shopping mall where the light rail and bus tunnel ends, but you still have to come up from underground and walk around the block to the hotel entrance on Olive Way. Might be about one block all told by the time you make all of the transits.

also remember that unless your flying United or Alaska most airline baggage claim will be at the far extreme south end of the airport and the 'station' is on the far norh side across the parking garage and out to the highway. Do be prepared for a hike.

The light rail Weslake Station is VERY close to the Mayflower...I walk by both every day. Get off the light rail at Westlake (it's the last stop, so easy to remember), go upstairs to the Westlake Mall and exit on 4th Avenue. Turn right, go 1/2 block, and voila, you are at the doorstep of the hotel.

We had big suitcases and backpacks but found the walk to be fairly easy through the parking garage and on to the train. It was a very pleasant experience and quick way to get to our hotel even at 10pm (we stayed at the Doubletree Arctic).

My daughter and I will be doing the train from the airport to Westlake station in a couple of weeks. We will have quite a bit of luggage. This is new to me. Do you walk on the train with all the luggage and stand or is there seating. If there is seating what do you do with the luggage? Also how crowded are the trains. We will be boarding around 2:30PM on a Friday. Thanks for your help.

My daughter and I will be doing the train from the airport to Westlake station in a couple of weeks. We will have quite a bit of luggage. This is new to me. Do you walk on the train with all the luggage and stand or is there seating. If there is seating what do you do with the luggage? Also how crowded are the trains. We will be boarding around 2:30PM on a Friday. Thanks for your help.

There is seating on the trains. There is a small space in each car where riders can put a bicycle (standing upright), and some folks use that for luggage. Otherwise, you'll need to keep it by your feet or on your lap. At mid-afternoon on a weekday, you'll probably be able to get a seat pretty easily, but the train will get a little more crowded by the time you get downtown. Westlake Center is a busy station, with the light rail and many bus lines stopping there and a shopping mall above it, but you should be able to navigate through it without any great difficulty. There are elevators up to street level.

If you have just heaps of luggage--enough to block the aisles--the train might not be such a good choice for you. But I see people on there all the time with a modest-sized rolling bag and a carry-on, and they manage just fine.

We had big suitcases and backpacks but found the walk to be fairly easy through the parking garage and on to the train. It was a very pleasant experience and quick way to get to our hotel even at 10pm (we stayed at the Doubletree Arctic).

How long was the walk? How was it getting bags on and off the train? And how was the walk to the Doubletree? I just booked that hotel for our trip in Sept. I love old buildings like that.

There is luggage storage under your seat on the train. From Continental, Delta, or American you need to walk to the far end of baggage claim and the length of the parking garage. Allow 15 to 20 minutes. You can also bring a luggage cart and leave it near the train.

How long was the walk? How was it getting bags on and off the train? And how was the walk to the Doubletree? I just booked that hotel for our trip in Sept. I love old buildings like that.

On the airport end, it's six minutes from the door of the train to the nearest door of the terminal--I timed it. Once you're inside the terminal, it all depends on which airline you're arriving on--some have their baggage claim right there, others are a ways down.

The trains are level with the platform, with only a small gap--you can roll a suitcase right on.

My plan is to get off the ship and head to the airport, check in my luggage. Then head

to light rail, ride to Pikes Market and stay until I have to get back to airport. This way

I will only have one carry on bag.

Greg

My plan is to get off the ship and head to the airport, check in my luggage. Then head

to light rail, ride to Pikes Market and stay until I have to get back to airport. This way

I will only have one carry on bag.

Greg

They will only let you check bags 4 hrs prior. You'd be far better off to just leave your bag at a downtown hotel close to light rail and save the two hrs as outlined to do more sightseeingl.

They will only let you check bags 4 hrs prior. You'd be far better off to just leave your bag at a downtown hotel close to light rail and save the two hrs as outlined to do more sightseeingl.

I agree. It's a 40 minute ride (each way) on the lightrail from downtown Seattle to SeaTac.

The walk through the parking garage was about 10 minutes. Easily walked on the train with the bags ... lots of room around us. Left the train station and the hotel was directly across the street. The Doubletree is a very pretty hotel with lots of character and very friendly staff.

I found out that SWA has no baggage service from Pier 91 nor does HAL deal

with SWA regarding baggage.

However, there is a luggage storage company at the Sea Tac airport called Kens.

I will find out more about this company and let you know. I am getting off the ship

early and going to the airport, but my flight does not leave until late in the afternoon.

Our flight on Continental gets in at 11:25pm on Friday night. Are we going to make the last train at 12:10am??

Personally I'd say no. Figuring your bags take 20-30 minutes to arrive and with the walk it would be very close. As a Seattle native and I mean this as a helpful recommendation the train goes thru a bit of a 'questionable' area and I wouldn't be comfortable getting on late at night and not knowing where your going etc. Daytime its more than safe, but late on a friday nite I'd opt for another option besides worrying about getting to the train on time. It would be much more relaxing to take a cab or towncar, if it were me. A towncar will meet you at the door closest to you in baggage claim. Where are you headed to downtown?

-We stayed at the Hilton across the street from the light rail station. When we took the train to downtown, it took us about 30 mins. I personally would not have wanted to carry more than a couple of bags with me. It took us probably 5 minutes or so from the terminal to the station, when we did walk that, but you need to know where to go. The train is a commuter rail system and, like those in many cities, is not really made for transport of many bags. But it was inexpensive ($2 each way, as I recall) and comfortable. We only took it during the day so can't comment on how safe the system would feel late at night.

-If someone arrives at Sea Tac Airport at 11:30 pm, I'd say their best choices are either to take a taxi downtown, or stay at one of the hotels near the airport. The Hilton and Holiday Inn are right across the street from the airport. One could walk, but both have shuttles. We paid about $40 plus taxes and fees for the Hilton, through Priceline.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

We'll be at the Mayflower Park after our cruise, so this info on the Light rail has been very helpful. However, since we'll have a couple of hours before we have to check in, we were wondering, what the options for checking luggage might be around the area.

Also, how much is a taxi to pier 91 from Westlake Center? Sorry if this has already been answered but a quick search hasn't revealed the answers.

Thanks!

Hi,

We'll be at the Mayflower Park after our cruise, so this info on the Light rail has been very helpful. However, since we'll have a couple of hours before we have to check in, we were wondering, what the options for checking luggage might be around the area.

Also, how much is a taxi to pier 91 from Westlake Center? Sorry if this has already been answered but a quick search hasn't revealed the answers.

Thanks!

you may be able to check in early, and if you're not able to, they'll take care of your luggage. Same thing at check out. If you check out at 11am they'll hold your bags all day if your flight isn't until midnight.

Around $15.

Personally I'd say no. Figuring your bags take 20-30 minutes to arrive and with the walk it would be very close. As a Seattle native and I mean this as a helpful recommendation the train goes thru a bit of a 'questionable' area and I wouldn't be comfortable getting on late at night and not knowing where your going etc. Daytime its more than safe, but late on a friday nite I'd opt for another option besides worrying about getting to the train on time. It would be much more relaxing to take a cab or towncar, if it were me. A towncar will meet you at the door closest to you in baggage claim. Where are you headed to downtown?

We're staying at the Airport Embassy Suites but plan to use the light rail for a day and night visit to downtown Seattle. How late can we stay downtown and still feel safe taking the light rail back to the airport station?

Depends on you :). If you are able to take care of yourself, not get worried if everybody on board is not from suburbia, know how to be aware of your surroundings, watch your luggage (as opposed to staring out the window or have your eyes stuck in a map), and are used to mass transit, I would say you could ride it until the last train :).

IE, it's like any other light rail system in any other city. I've taken more than my share of ours...and those in other cities...and ours is no more "scary" than any others. IMHO.

By the way, what is meant by "questionable" ? What is the question :) ?

Archived