Amtrak train from orlando to Tamps??

Eva65

There is no way to predict the train's schedule or if they will have issues. Normally Amtrak runs on time...but its the risk you take...why not get a private car to take you? but then you run the risk of traffic. Well everything has a risk...Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

There are a number of issues that could prevent an Amtrak trip from arriving on time and especially in Florida. Depending on the time of year you are travelling and whatever pop-up Tropical Storm or Hurricane happens to be hitting Florida at the time, any wildfires that seem common in Summer months that spread smoke across the state and block/delay highway and rail traffic, even something as uncommon as Amtrak hitting a car trying to beat the train across a crossing can delay a train for hours while an investigation takes place. As short of a distance as that is why not take an early morning Greyhound bus, or even Amtrak over the day before and stay in a downtown hotel? I am sure living in Orlando you have been to Tampa many times but the area around where the ship docks is full of things to do.

If you go on Amtrak's website, it shows the Sliver Service line has a 70% ontime performance in the last month. Of course, that refers to the entire route from NYC to Miami. Being in a car would seem to be more predictable.

I don't know about Amtrak to Orlando but we took a family trip to Virginia last month. I will never take a train again, late was not even the word we got to Virginia 1 1/2 late. I think the train is a GreyHound on tracks, the bathrooms...just gross:eek:. The dining car was closed for some reason so we went 10 hour hungry living off of chips and candy that I packed. We upgraded and still had to deal with screaming kids that ran up and down the aisle most of the trip. Our two boys even got mad:mad: because all they wanted to do was sleep.

I just hope you enjoy Amtrak better then we did, I would never wish what we went through on anyone. Good luck and I really hope you have a great trip.

I don't know about Amtrak to Orlando but we took a family trip to Virginia last month. I will never take a train again, late was not even the word we got to Virginia 1 1/2 late. I think the train is a GreyHound on tracks, the bathrooms...just gross:eek:. The dining car was closed for some reason so we went 10 hour hungry living off of chips and candy that I packed. We upgraded and still had to deal with screaming kids that ran up and down the aisle most of the trip. Our two boys even got mad:mad: because all they wanted to do was sleep.

I just hope you enjoy Amtrak better then we did, I would never wish what we went through on anyone. Good luck and I really hope you have a great trip.

I completely agree with you. :( Had an event to attend in Baltimore a few years ago and thought it would be fun to take the train and see the sights. Left from Clifton Forge, VA 7 hours late. Dark by then, didn't see any sights, people had been on the train for over 24 hours since Chicago and were smelly, hot and miserable. Toilets were a mess. :(:eek:

On the way back we were only a little late but I ran into the same with no dining car available, just a snack bar that was mostly closed. Surly employees who obviously hated their jobs. And no luggage check - you had to be able to heft your own bag up over your head into the bins. The Amtrak staff advised they were not allowed to help. Trains still had the orange shag carpeting from the 70s which would have been fine if it looked like they'd been cleaned since then.

My grandfather was a lifelong C&O employee so I grew up with his love of trains and had always romanticized the notion of rail travel. That short trip made me not want to bother with any longer trips.

I do hear that some of the trains out west are completely different, though, and very nice.

I completely agree with you. :( Had an event to attend in Baltimore a few years ago and thought it would be fun to take the train and see the sights. Left from Clifton Forge, VA 7 hours late. Dark by then, didn't see any sights, people had been on the train for over 24 hours since Chicago and were smelly, hot and miserable. Toilets were a mess. :(:eek:

On the way back we were only a little late but I ran into the same with no dining car available, just a snack bar that was mostly closed. Surly employees who obviously hated their jobs. And no luggage check - you had to be able to heft your own bag up over your head into the bins. The Amtrak staff advised they were not allowed to help. Trains still had the orange shag carpeting from the 70s which would have been fine if it looked like they'd been cleaned since then.

My grandfather was a lifelong C&O employee so I grew up with his love of trains and had always romanticized the notion of rail travel. That short trip made me not want to bother with any longer trips.

I do hear that some of the trains out west are completely different, though, and very nice.

Yes, I agree does every Amtrak employee hate their job? I have never seen such mean people in my life. When two 10 year old boys don't like a train...come on something is wrong. My boys said never again, they hated it!

Sorry to indicate we live in Orlando, we live in Arkansas. We are flying into Tampa, going to Disney and then on a cruise. Trying to find the cheapest way without renting a car. The ride is only 1 1/2 hours so it couldn't be too bad. Any suggestions? a towncar is almost $200 each way.

Sorry to indicate we live in Orlando, we live in Arkansas. We are flying into Tampa, going to Disney and then on a cruise. Trying to find the cheapest way without renting a car. The ride is only 1 1/2 hours so it couldn't be too bad. Any suggestions? a towncar is almost $200 each way.

How many are travelling? All adults? Kids?

I would say a car rental will be by far cheaper, plus you then have control over your own destiny. I biefly considered taking the train from Orlando to Tampa but the delays had me worried plus having to leave my car at a train station in Orlando for a week didn't appeal to me at all.

I will leave you with one suggestion though. There are quite a few places that offer bus shuttles between Orlando and Miami, I would be willing to bet the same exists between Orlando and Tampa. But I will also advise that you get what you pay for.

I love taking the Amtrak train from Los Angeles to San Diego. It is a two hour trip and I travel Business Class. Business class has free coffee, tea, juice, muffins, pastries, and a packaged snack bag. The goodies are soooo good. They also have free newspapers.

Plus, I can sit by myself with a table in front of me for my use.

My plan B is that if there is a problem with the train I can always get off and just take a taxi with other cruisers to the cruiseport. It will be expensive but I do buy travel insurance that will pay for it.

I always meet lots of cruisers on the train. I have lots of fun talking to everybody.

After the cruise is over and I ride back home I don't care how long the train takes to get home. Last time there was a delay because there was a problem with one of the train tracks and they had to fix it. It took two hours to fix it.

We got to get off the train and walk around outside. You can't do that on airplanes...lol.

At this time, Amtrak in Florida is subject to the whims of CSX dispatching. At best, that is an interesting topic. However, the necessity of moving freight trains on predominately single track railroads (that really should never have been reduced from multi-track lines) makes schedule keeping problematic.

I have worked with Amtrak for over 25 years and I still cannot suggest riding a train to a time sensitive destination that requires travel on tracks owned by CSX or UPRR. They are not yet capable of maintaining passenger train schedules.

Doc

Do NOT take the train on the same day.....I took it from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale but the train was 4 hours late coming to tampa and would have been LATER had it actually come all the way there to get us....about 40 people were bussed from tampa to another station.

The train was packed as well....i wound up paying the extra 40 bucks for a roomette for that short trip. Worth every penny.

I can understand saving money but there is NO WAY I would take the train the same day. You'd have a good chance of waving to the ship as it leaves without you.

Remember you must be checked in at least 90 minutes ahead so you'd have to be there, on the ship by 2 PM for a 4 PM sailing..

ANd yes the FLA trains tend to be packed, and VERY dirty....YMMV but I hate the silver service trains for that reason........really, just rent a car if you can......

You are also at the liberty of freight trains...Amtrak doesn't own the track in many places, thus passenger trains will wait for the freight...time is money and the mile long freight train is worth more than the peeps...

I have taken Amtrak from Kansas City to Los Angeles several times to visit or cruise out of Long Beach. I always make sure I have a sleeper (NEVER coach) and I always arrive a day or two before. Love it.......you can see parts of America that you cannot see from any highway. The food in the dining car is amazingly good. I can see where train travel is not for everyone though.

I have also taken Amtrak from Kansas City to New York's Penn Station to take a cruise out of New York. A lot more complicated route and the east coast trains are not as well kept.......but, I still loved the adventure.

Coach is a nightmare on most Amtrak trains.....unless it is a short specialty train route. Sleepers are the only way to go. Coach passengers are not allowed up in the sleeper area (thus no wild running kids) and meals are free with your sleeper accommodations.

Now......if Amtrak could just create a reasonable route from KC to Florida!!

Do NOT take the train on the same day.....I took it from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale but the train was 4 hours late coming to tampa and would have been LATER had it actually come all the way there to get us....about 40 people were bussed from tampa to another station.

The train was packed as well....i wound up paying the extra 40 bucks for a roomette for that short trip. Worth every penny.

I can understand saving money but there is NO WAY I would take the train the same day. You'd have a good chance of waving to the ship as it leaves without you.

Remember you must be checked in at least 90 minutes ahead so you'd have to be there, on the ship by 2 PM for a 4 PM sailing..

ANd yes the FLA trains tend to be packed, and VERY dirty....YMMV but I hate the silver service trains for that reason........really, just rent a car if you can......

You are also at the liberty of freight trains...Amtrak doesn't own the track in many places, thus passenger trains will wait for the freight...time is money and the mile long freight train is worth more than the peeps...

I have been watching and the train seems to to be within the hour on the last several days. Any other suggestions besides renting a car. I do not have a credit card so can't rent a car.

If you do wind up booking the train from Orlando to Tampa, have a plan B available in case the train is hours late. As others have said, it's coming from New York, having left there the previous day. As a result, you can check the train's status as it makes it's way down the East Coast by either calling Amtrak or checking on their website. In other words, don't wait until you get to the station in Orlando and THEN find out it's late. Be proactive and follow it's progress the whole way down! And if it should happen to be late the day you're scheduled to go, then you'll know that early in the morning and can put Plan B into effect.

Good luck!

An Amtrak employee commemorating 31 years of service TODAY! :)

Used to live in Colorado mtns. When airports closed I would take Greyhound. Took Amtrak once 12 hrs. late, filthy. Bunch of kids running up and down isles throwing stuff. Maybe 15 yrs. ago, still remember it. Don t spoil your trip. bus will be cleaner, cheaper. Be sure there is a second bus later the day you travel. Maybe someone can rent your car for you.

I have been watching and the train seems to to be within the hour on the last several days. Any other suggestions besides renting a car. I do not have a credit card so can't rent a car.

take the train a day ahead. you can look at the history but one storm or freight delay or anything can ruin your day. really do NOT even THINK about going the same day.

and i agree that a roomette is the way to go...even for only a couple hours...TRUST US, it is worth the money...

bus maybe??? fly??? (that is probably too expensive)

if you are flying to tampa THEN going to orlando to disney THEN back???:confused::eek: How are you getting from Tampa to orlando in the 1st place?

(And not all biz class has free muffins or snacks....on the NEC (northeast corridor) in Biz class you get free soft drinks/coffee/water-no food, at least not on any trains i have ridden in Biz.....)

i am really confused as you say you are flying into tampa, then disney then cruise. do you mean you're flying into Orlando???? and then needing to get to tampa????

Come on people!!!! It is only a train ride from Orlando to Tampa. This is a short trip and I am sure that you will be okay for this trip. Look at like an adventure. This train is on time. Enjoy your trip.

let's see, on Sat 8/7 the train was 2 hours late into Tampa (arriving at about 2:29 which for a 4 PM departure would mean that the OP would be denied boarding as they would get to the pier later than 90-120 minutes)

...Sunday it was about 20 minutes late

to say "this train is on time" is providing false info

Come on people!!!! It is only a train ride from Orlando to Tampa. This is a short trip and I am sure that you will be okay for this trip. Look at like an adventure. This train is on time. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you. You say you work close to the tracks and it comes by everyday at the same time. I am going to plan on the train and try to come up with a back up plan.

take the train a day ahead. you can look at the history but one storm or freight delay or anything can ruin your day. really do NOT even THINK about going the same day.

and i agree that a roomette is the way to go...even for only a couple hours...TRUST US, it is worth the money...

bus maybe??? fly??? (that is probably too expensive)

if you are flying to tampa THEN going to orlando to disney THEN back???:confused::eek: How are you getting from Tampa to orlando in the 1st place?

(And not all biz class has free muffins or snacks....on the NEC (northeast corridor) in Biz class you get free soft drinks/coffee/water-no food, at least not on any trains i have ridden in Biz.....)

i am really confused as you say you are flying into tampa, then disney then cruise. do you mean you're flying into Orlando???? and then needing to get to tampa????

No we are flying into Tampa, planing on taking the train to Orlando but not a strict schedule. My daughter is at Disney in the college program and would hate to leave a day early. The towncar is almost $200 compared to the $20. I hate to say it but financially this is a bad time for the trip, but it is already booked and mostly paid for. Yes we both have secure jobs so that isn't the issue.

Archived