Naples On Our Own

bbbradk

Looking for advice on taking the ferry or train from the port in Naples to see Pompei.

We have looked at a few tours and all are way out of our price range.

So we are thinking of doing the trek on our own, we are in port for 12 hours, has anyone done this? and has anyone had an issue getting back to port on time?

Any advice is appreciated.

Many folks have taken the train.

I would do Pompeii in the morning. If you are going in the summer months that is preferable as it gets very hot there. You can then come back in the early afternoon which would give you plenty of time to see Naples without any pressure of getting back before the ship leaves.

If you decide to stay longer give yourself a lot of pad for train delays and cancellations as you would anywhere.

Keith

I encourage you to use the search function on this board for directions on taking the train to Pompeii. Many (including myself) have posted more or less step-by-step instructions on how to do this. It's quite lengthy and I'm not at home to access my notes (or I'd do a cut and paste) but you should find PLENTY of info on this topic.

In short -- it's easy, it's inexpensive, and many people do it. I have not read personally of anyone missing the ship as a result of doing this. Just plan wisely -- be back at the ship well before your departure.

Thank you all.

And I did try the search feature, but there are way too many unrelated thread results, I guess I just need to learn to use it better.

Oh, and we will be in port in late September, so I am hoping the heat wont be as big an issue.

September will be better than July, certainly, but it will still be hot. I first visited Pompei in mid-October about ten years ago and it was hot then.

As for finding specific directions, try using the advanced search option, and search by user cruisemom42. She has posted very specific instructions on taking the train to Pompei several times, it should be pretty easy to find.

Archived