Venice

weliketocruise86

did not see any people mover from port area,,,,heard it had opened but not all the way to pier as of 7/2...we just walked to vaporetto area and got around with that and water taxi....did i miss it??must be well hidden,if so??:confused:

I think you must have missed it. http://www.veniceforvisitors.com has a good description. The port station is just behind the terminal building at the top of the U of the piers. Sure beats walking to P. Roma

We were in Venice last week. The people mover was up and running. It was very easy to get to, just a short walk from the cruise ship. We ended up taking the people mover back to Plaza Roma after we disembarked; there was a huge line up of people waiting to catch a cab. We had a hotel booked for the night right by Plaza Roma. We had checked into our hotel and were out sightseeing again with 45 minutes of walking off the ship. The people mover is located at the back of Plaza Roma, with a big sign pointing to where it is.

We were in Venice last week. The people mover was up and running. It was very easy to get to, just a short walk from the cruise ship. We ended up taking the people mover back to Plaza Roma after we disembarked; there was a huge line up of people waiting to catch a cab. We had a hotel booked for the night right by Plaza Roma. We had checked into our hotel and were out sightseeing again with 45 minutes of walking off the ship. The people mover is located at the back of Plaza Roma, with a big sign pointing to where it is.

Thanks for the info, will save the long walk with our luggage,

The People Mover won't help me get from the airport to a vaporetto, will it? We're spending two nights in Venice before the cruise. I'm a bit worried about how far my elderly father will have to walk lugging a suitcase.

Hi guys

We are off to venice (not until next year though!) and

just wondered where does the ship depart from. Is it the main port. Also, we fly in the night before the cruise and just want a hotel really close to the airport to collapse into. Any ideas??? We fly into Marco Polo. Thanks....:)

Hi guys

We are off to venice (not until next year though!) and

just wondered where does the ship depart from. Is it the main port. Also, we fly in the night before the cruise and just want a hotel really close to the airport to collapse into. Any ideas??? We fly into Marco Polo. Thanks....:)

Depends on the size of your ship. Start your research with http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

many people like the marriott if they choose to be very close to the airport

The People Mover won't help me get from the airport to a vaporetto, will it? We're spending two nights in Venice before the cruise. I'm a bit worried about how far my elderly father will have to walk lugging a suitcase.

One of the major stops for the vaporotto is at Plaza Roma, where the people mover takes you too. Here is how you get to the vapotto from the people mover. When you exit the people mover , walk out the door and and turn right. The exit is on a tiny little street at the back of Plaza Roma. It is just about 50 ft or so to the actual square of Plaza Roma. When you stand with the people mover building to your back, and plaza Roma in front of you, there is a huge area where there are lots of cars and many many buses. Follow the sidewalk (that you are standing on) to the right, to the other side of Plaza Roma, and you will end up at the canal and find the vaporotto terminal. Where is your hotel that you are staying at? If it is anywhere near San Marco, you might want to look into taking the alaguna line (that has a stop right where the cruise ships dock) as it goes directly into San Marco. If located elsewhere you might want to look into taxi a water taxi, which will often drop you off at the water doorstep of your hotel.

The vaporotto system is convenient and easy to use when you are sightseeing, but it can get quite crowded at times(standing room only). I imagine it would not be the easiest thing to use along with luggage.

If you tell us where your hotel is, we can give better advice. If it is at Piazzal Roma, you would take a land taxi. Anywhere else, if you're concerned about your father, I strongly urge you to take a water taxi direct to your hotel. Sure they are expensive but he's your Dad. You can usually find someone to share the cost with. Pick up a water taxi at the desk in the airport. After a long flight, you don't want to spend another 2 hours and several transfers to stand on a crowded Vaporetto with the other passengers angry that you've brought your luggage on board. What better way to see Venice than a limo like ride through the lagoon and up the Grand canal to the door of your hotel? I agree it is a short walk to the taxi dock at the airport but porters are available. Enjoy yout trip.

Plaza Roma, where the people mover takes you When you exit the people mover , walk out the door and and turn right. The exit is on a tiny little street at the back of Plaza Roma. It is just about 50 ft or so to the actual square of Plaza Roma. When you stand with the people mover building to your back, and plaza Roma in front of you, there is a huge area where there are lots of cars and many many buses. Follow the sidewalk (that you are standing on) to the right, to the other side of Plaza Roma, and you will end up at the canal and find the vaporotto terminal.

Oops. I re read this and realized that every time I said to turn right, I should have written left. Sorry.

Just got back from Greek Isles cruise that started in Venice. We spent a few days prior to boarding the ship in Venice. When it got time to get to the ship, Venetians were unsure of how to advise us. Even the Tourist Information booth failed to mention the People Mover at Piazzle de Roma(which was right near them). Instead we schlepped our luggage ourselves then found about the People Mover later(1euro each/each way). Unfortunately Rick Steves doesn't mention it in the book we used. Hope this information will help someone else along the way.

Just got back from Greek Isles cruise that started in Venice. We spent a few days prior to boarding the ship in Venice. When it got time to get to the ship, Venetians were unsure of how to advise us. Even the Tourist Information booth failed to mention the People Mover at Piazzle de Roma(which was right near them). Instead we schlepped our luggage ourselves then found about the People Mover later(1euro each/each way). Unfortunately Rick Steves doesn't mention it in the book we used. Hope this information will help someone else along the way.

http://www.veniceforvisitors.com has a decent description

If you tell us where your hotel is, we can give better advice. If it is at Piazzal Roma, you would take a land taxi. Anywhere else, if you're concerned about your father, I strongly urge you to take a water taxi direct to your hotel. Sure they are expensive but he's your Dad. You can usually find someone to share the cost with. Pick up a water taxi at the desk in the airport. After a long flight, you don't want to spend another 2 hours and several transfers to stand on a crowded Vaporetto with the other passengers angry that you've brought your luggage on board. What better way to see Venice than a limo like ride through the lagoon and up the Grand canal to the door of your hotel? I agree it is a short walk to the taxi dock at the airport but porters are available. Enjoy yout trip.

Thanks, Earl. We're staying at Violino D'Oro near St. Mark's. I think you've convinced me that the water taxi is the way to go!

I think I should quit reading. Just as I was deciding to break the bank and take the water taxi, I read that it can be difficult getting in and out of, especially at low and high tide. Putting my elderly dad in that situation sounds worse than making him walk a good distance.

Let's try this scenario: take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, and then the vaporetto (or Alilaguna?) to Hotel Violino D'Oro (near St. Mark's). Does anyone know how much walking there'll be from where the airport bus stops to where the vaporetto picks up? And if we get off at San Marco-Vallaresso, does anyone know how long the walk will be to the hotel?

Thank you, travel veterans, for helping us newbies!

I think I should quit reading. Just as I was deciding to break the bank and take the water taxi, I read that it can be difficult getting in and out of, especially at low and high tide. Putting my elderly dad in that situation sounds worse than making him walk a good distance.

Let's try this scenario: take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, and then the vaporetto (or Alilaguna?) to Hotel Violino D'Oro (near St. Mark's). Does anyone know how much walking there'll be from where the airport bus stops to where the vaporetto picks up? And if we get off at San Marco-Vallaresso, does anyone know how long the walk will be to the hotel?

Thank you, travel veterans, for helping us newbies!

You are overthinking this. It is the taxi pilot's job to help you in and out of his water taxi. At the airport, if you go to the desk of venezia taxi http://www.veneziataxi.it they will shuttle you the 500 yards to the dock

If you go the public route, you will have 100 yards and some steps at P. Roma and 250 yards and a bridge with steps at the San Marco end. It will take you roughly 90 minutes longer and you will be schlepping your bags off and on the Vaporetto.

Trust me.

Archived