Room description did not match reality

Balto Bob

I'm sorry your vacation didn't go the way you had planned. Specially because you put so much thought into it. I always try to see pictures of the cabin I'm booking. Either here on cruisecritic or I just google the cabin category. I hope you'll try cruising with your entire family again.

Before writing off NCL altogether, maybe try the Garden Villa. You will be MORE than comfortable in the 5,000+ SF. ...

Well, while on the subject, note that at least for the Pearl, the web site says "... spectacular Garden Villa, which has up to 5,000 sq ft of space ..." but then smack dab below that the term "up to" seems to take on new meaning when they get more definitive, saying "Approx. size: 3355 sq. ft." I wonder how many folks have an eighth of an acre firmly planted in their heads by the first depiction.

I didn't get to see the GV on our sailing of the Pearl week before last, but we stayed in the Deluxe Owner's Suite. Our overall high satisfaction with the digs notwithstanding, I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came up with 1195 square feet. No, I didn't have a tape measure, and the digs aren't even remotely rectangular anyway. But I did pace off the major dimensions, and my best guess is it's around eight or maybe nine hundred square feet, nearly half of which is outside on the lanai. Best I can figure, the missing three or four hundred square feet are perhaps the semi-private staircase leading up to the two DOS's from deck fourteen, or else just plain fiction.

This kind of matched my expectations, because before the cruise, I looked at their pictures and floorplans, and used the king-sized bed as a rectangular template for gauging the rest of the suite's dimensions. I posted elsewhere on this forum that I didn't really believe NCL's claim about it being so large, and asked if anyone else could rationalize the claim. Nobody did. Having been there for a week, I was a happy camper for all the rest of the experience, but on this one particular aspect I think NCL is relying more on overall satisfaction than on pure honesty. I think that sooner or later, they are going to face a lawsuit over the issue.

It isn't entirely impossible, though, that my attempt to pace off the space was flawed, and it really does have the posited square footage. Kinda wish I'd packed a tape measure. Kinda don't really care.

InThe

have to do with the package I booked on Pride of America....

Bottom line - I paid for a family suite with butler service, I got a family suite with butler service. We had a nice time. I did not expect quality food and service. I generally got decent food and quality service. This cruise was for my grandson. daughter and son-in-law. They had a wonderful time and are still talking about it. I did my homework on Cruise Critic, as I have done on every prior cruise. The square footage of this suite was as promised and sufficient for us. We have cruised only 6 times. All (except for Windjammer in ancient years) have been suites with butler service and the associated perks. I will not be led into a discussion of who has better perks. You get what you pay for.

Every island tour was booked separately from NCL by me. They all worked as planned. I did not come away disappointed, EXCEPT for the accommodations.

I DID NOT get the layout that USED to be shown on the web page. I DID NOT expect to sleep in an inside cabin. (OK - I gave the nice room to the kids). I consider this to be a very good example of very poor advertising and representation by NCL.

Could you really tell it was an inside cabin when you were sleeping?

Well, while on the subject, note that at least for the Pearl, the web site says "... spectacular Garden Villa, which has up to 5,000 sq ft of space ..." but then smack dab below that the term "up to" seems to take on new meaning when they get more definitive, saying "Approx. size: 3355 sq. ft." I wonder how many folks have an eighth of an acre firmly planted in their heads by the first depiction.

I didn't get to see the GV on our sailing of the Pearl week before last, but we stayed in the Deluxe Owner's Suite. Our overall high satisfaction with the digs notwithstanding, I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came up with 1195 square feet. No, I didn't have a tape measure, and the digs aren't even remotely rectangular anyway. But I did pace off the major dimensions, and my best guess is it's around eight or maybe nine hundred square feet, nearly half of which is outside on the lanai. Best I can figure, the missing three or four hundred square feet are perhaps the semi-private staircase leading up to the two DOS's from deck fourteen, or else just plain fiction.

This kind of matched my expectations, because before the cruise, I looked at their pictures and floorplans, and used the king-sized bed as a rectangular template for gauging the rest of the suite's dimensions. I posted elsewhere on this forum that I didn't really believe NCL's claim about it being so large, and asked if anyone else could rationalize the claim. Nobody did. Having been there for a week, I was a happy camper for all the rest of the experience, but on this one particular aspect I think NCL is relying more on overall satisfaction than on pure honesty. I think that sooner or later, they are going to face a lawsuit over the issue.

It isn't entirely impossible, though, that my attempt to pace off the space was flawed, and it really does have the posited square footage. Kinda wish I'd packed a tape measure. Kinda don't really care.

InThe

Maybe NCL uses everything inside of the door to calulate the square footage- bathroom, closets, entry way, balcony. That's the only way I could find the 144 sq ft in the inside cabins (well, except for the balcony part:rolleyes:).

Maybe NCL uses everything inside of the door to calulate the square footage- bathroom, closets, entry way, balcony. That's the only way I could find the 144 sq ft in the inside cabins (well, except for the balcony part:rolleyes:).

The Garden Villa description says "up to" because they are including the Dawn and Star which are larger because of the open space around the outdoor dining area and sauna.

PE

The Garden Villa description says "up to" because they are including the Dawn and Star which are larger because of the open space around the outdoor dining area and sauna.

PE

I suspect they also round up. For example...1051 sq feet is up to 1100 sq feet.

I don't think they round up. They say "up to" when there are cabins of various sizes in the same category.

PE

There are only two GVs on the Pearl. They are the same size. There may be GVs on other ships in the fleet that are closer to 5000 square feet, but I was citing the GV description that comes up specifically when looking at the Pearl. In my humble opinion, THAT description ought to be specific, not "Hey, book this suite because on some other ships, it's really, really BIG!"

But opinions are like ... uh ... left nostrils: everybody has one.

There are only two GVs on the Pearl. They are the same size. There may be GVs on other ships in the fleet that are closer to 5000 square feet, but I was citing the GV description that comes up specifically when looking at the Pearl. In my humble opinion, THAT description ought to be specific, not "Hey, book this suite because on some other ships, it's really, really BIG!"

But opinions are like ... uh ... left nostrils: everybody has one.

That same description is used for all ship's with the actual footage in the specification area below the description. As a matter of fact the Dawn and Star are over 5,000 sq. ft. (5,750). Better sue them for that bit of misinformation.:rolleyes:

PE

... the Dawn and Star are over 5' date='000 sq. ft. (5,750). Better sue them for that bit of misinformation.:rolleyes:[/color']

PE

Excuse me? Did I say I am planning to sue? I don't think so. I opined that I don't think they are being very smart leaving their web pages misleading. Aside from what I said about GV, I also said that I do not think the DOS is as large as they claim it to be, specifically on the Pearl.

Evidently I touched a raw nerve. Dropping the subject.

The error is mine, as well as NCL. My wife and I have never had a disappointing suite on other lines, and the rooms always matched the published layout. Consequently, I never considered this would be different. I will certainly use the recommended web site to check any room in the future.

As gracious as you seem and willingness to share responsibility, you were not in error on this. If there is a layout provided on the official NCL website, it is assumed that this is what you will be getting. There is a certain level of belief that when you are on an official website, the information is accurate.

I think it's unreasonable to assume everything on an official website is NOT as depicted. No one should have to call NCL asking things like "i see there is a sofa pictured in the layout, is it really there in my suite?" or "what about the end tables? shows two, but is there really two?"

The whole point of having an official website is to provide customers with *accurate* information representing the cruise experience they will be given. If you got information from another source, the onus is on you to make sure that information is accurate. But not when it's coming from NCL's website itself.

I completely understand your concern that NCL completely misrepresented the suite you purchased. Thank you for wanting to warn others so anyone considering this suite, can be informed of NCL's inaccuracy on their official website.

I hope, now that you have offered up your experience as a resource of warning, and gotten NCL to update their info to accurate information, no one in the future will have to experience what you did. May you have a wonderful 50th anniversary in St. Lucia :)

Could you really tell it was an inside cabin when you were sleeping?

whether he could "tell" or not isn't the point. The point is, the layout provided by NCL did not indicate this.

whether he had a better time than sitting in the office (as someone else posted), also isn't the point.

The point, simply, is that what was shown on NCL's official website was not what he got.

Just like the person who shared their story about paying for a picture window and getting a porthole. COuld they see outside? sure. But is that what was indicated and paid for? no.

The whole school of thought of just sucking it up and being happy with what you got, or ignoring the little things where you're not getting what you were expecting, is why these things like providing the wrong layout for the OPs suite, continues to happen.

I for one am glad that, if nothing else, the OPs letter caused NCL to finally provide an accurate layout of the suite. Now, no one else will have to just "live with what they got".

They do, just like your home is calculated on everything including entrance etc.

Nita

Excuse me? Did I say I am planning to sue? I don't think so. I opined that I don't think they are being very smart leaving their web pages misleading. Aside from what I said about GV, I also said that I do not think the DOS is as large as they claim it to be, specifically on the Pearl.

Evidently I touched a raw nerve. Dropping the subject.

I guess if you don't like the way the discussion is going it is time to change the subject.

Notice I did not partial quote to suit my purpose??? :rolleyes:

PE

Notice I did not partial quote to suit my purpose??? :rolleyes:

Is there, perhaps, the implication that I "partial quote to suit my purpose"? Not a balls-out declaration, just bait in the water. Okay, I'll bite:

There are other reasons to partial quote, such as to thin the clutter and/or to put the focus on that part of the post to which the response is intended. Of course, taking that approach puts the integrity of the responder up for scrutiny. Since I have no collateral with you, I suppose you are entitled to spin it that I "partial quote to suit my purpose". Why don't we agree to settle out of court: you go on your next cruise, I'll go on mine, and if we are intensely lucky we will be oceans apart physically just as we are oceans apart in our opinion of each other.

InThe

Is there, perhaps, the implication that I "partial quote to suit my purpose"? Not a balls-out declaration, just bait in the water. Okay, I'll bite:

There are other reasons to partial quote, such as to thin the clutter and/or to put the focus on that part of the post to which the response is intended. Of course, taking that approach puts the integrity of the responder up for scrutiny. Since I have no collateral with you, I suppose you are entitled to spin it that I "partial quote to suit my purpose". Why don't we agree to settle out of court: you go on your next cruise, I'll go on mine, and if we are intensely lucky we will be oceans apart physically just as we are oceans apart in our opinion of each other.

InThe

I will drop to my knees every evening and hope for this outcome.

PE

• 2 weeks later...
Any of you who know my posts know that I am a huge NCL supporter. However, the OP is absolutely correct about that suite. I remember, from touring all the suites on the POA on a TA overnight out of San Francisco years ago, that they were NOTHING like the suites on the rest of NCL's ships. They actually seemed tacky. The "inside" area of the suite Granddad mentions can in no way be compared to the second bedroom of the AB suites or courtyard villa suites on other NCL ships. In my opinion, there isn't one single cabin onboard the POA that is as nice as the cabins on other NCL ships.

So, for those of you who haven't been aboard the Pride of America and haven't seen the cabins, please refrain from commenting on the OP's review of them. He was right on.

Actually there is one stateroom I can vouch for, The Grand suite. Magnificent! there is only one though.

Actually there is one stateroom I can vouch for, The Grand suite. Magnificent! there is only one though.

Come on people - how about some realism.

1. I was responsible for two families - 2 adults and 3 adults(actually a 14 year old)

2. NCLA suggested only the "Penthouse family suite on deck 9". They never suggested 2 connecting suites or anything else. They will not put 5 people in the "grand" suite.

3. I trusted NCLA.

I WAS WRONG...OK.....I WAS WRONG....next time, no matter what ship or line I use...I will KNOW everything about my suite before they get me to sign up.

I also believe that NCL should update their web site.

We'll be in an AC suite on the Dawn on the 29th and they're showing the floor plans as a 2 room suite, which, I found out, it is not. http://www2.ncl.com/ship/dawn/staterooms/1/suite#tab_detail

And they list under suite perks for an AC that it has "Wireless Internet access, plus personal computer" which I also found out it doesn't. http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.com/pages/spapenthouses.php

I wouldn't have known these things if not for Cruise Critic. I don't think there's any reason why NCL shouldn't update their web site to reflect what the cabin really looks like and what the perks are.

I accept that fact that several people have suggested I not give up on NCL.

Yet, if you look carefully at the link the "cs" shows above,

(1) The room layout for both AC and AB on Dawn are exactly the same. So - NCL is saying the accommodations for 2 people and 5 people are the same.

(2) The "photos" are not.

I can not accept this type of realistic advertising from any credible company. Sorry people, NCL is off my list.

This is what the Dawn AC really looks like. It is a misrepresentation on their web site by posting pictures/floorplans of the AB for the AC and AE cabins. It's an easy fix and I'm not sure why they aren't fixing it. I found out about the room configuration AFTER we booked and we were already within final payment.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2411249360081189881VFwTXJ

Oh, but they do put at the bottom (in fine print) "Stateroom images, square footage, and configurations are representative only. Actual accommodations may vary." They should just fix the web site and get it over with.

Archived