Room description did not match reality

Balto Bob

:oNooo!

Grandad, I didn't mean to continue your awful grilling here! I was just commenting to Cruise_more_often that when he/she said "there isn't one single cabin onboard the POA that is as nice as the cabins on other NCL ships." I was saying there might just be one, thats all. I totally agree that NCL should focus on providing better specific info on each ship on their website it can't be that difficult. Thats why I asked you if you had a hot tub on your balcony on the Deluxe Owners on the pearl, It doesn't say but the picture shows it.

oops I asked in the cruising years, sorry.

I accept that fact that several people have suggested I not give up on NCL.

Yet, if you look carefully at the link the "cs" shows above,

(1) The room layout for both AC and AB on Dawn are exactly the same. So - NCL is saying the accommodations for 2 people and 5 people are the same.

(2) The "photos" are not.

I can not accept this type of realistic advertising from any credible company. Sorry people, NCL is off my list.

and I think you have reason to give up on NCL. I think you are wrong and expected too much, I think you should have been working closer with a travel agent, but I also think, because you are so unhappy, regardless of who is to blame, there might be a better line for you. Not every line is right for everyone and you have already, in an earlier posting said cruising isn't your first love.

Nita

I would give the site cruise ship deck plans a try, it has deck plans, room layouts, floor plans, and even pictures of the rooms. It cost around $12 for a lifetime membership. I looked up your room and it showed the curtain and that the one bedroom had no window. The bathroom and the other bedroom looked awesome though.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/index.php

I agree. This site is invaluable.

I also believe that NCL should update their web site.

We'll be in an AC suite on the Dawn on the 29th and they're showing the floor plans as a 2 room suite, which, I found out, it is not. http://www2.ncl.com/ship/dawn/staterooms/1/suite#tab_detail

And they list under suite perks for an AC that it has "Wireless Internet access, plus personal computer" which I also found out it doesn't. http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.com/pages/spapenthouses.php

I wouldn't have known these things if not for Cruise Critic. I don't think there's any reason why NCL shouldn't update their web site to reflect what the cabin really looks like and what the perks are.

Your first link isn't going anywhere, and the 2nd is on Spa Suites for the EPIC....

(1) The room layout for both AC and AB on Dawn are exactly the same. So - NCL is saying the accommodations for 2 people and 5 people are the same.

I can not accept this type of realistic advertising from any credible company. Sorry people, NCL is off my list.

General Motors, BMW, Ford (in fact....EVERY car company) will tell you that the car photographed in their brochure, may differ from the actual car.

good luck, whereever you wind up.

Your first link isn't going anywhere, and the 2nd is on Spa Suites for the EPIC....

I don't know why it's not working for you but you can look for yourself by going to NCL, choosing Dawn, and looking at their stateroom pictures.

As far as the suites (2nd link), there's a few tabs on the left side. One of the tabs has the list of suite amenities on it.

"Stateroom images, square footage, and configurations are representative only. Actual accommodations may vary."

"Stateroom images, square footage, and configurations are representative only. Actual accommodations may vary."

I already posted that. But it really isn't difficult for NCL to post accurate information about their staterooms. Why wouldn't they want to?

Also, you have to look hard to see that paragraph. It's not right next to the pictures/floor plans of the staterooms. It's all the way at the bottom of the page and easily missed unless you're looking for it.

It should be EVIDENT what you're getting when you book. Nobody should have to find out after they've already booked that the pictures and descriptions are "representative only". I'm one of the people who missed that when booking.

NCL should just fix their web site already. Unless there's a reason they keep it like that...

I already posted that. But it really isn't difficult for NCL to post accurate information about their staterooms. Why wouldn't they want to?

Also, you have to look hard to see that paragraph. It's not right next to the pictures/floor plans of the staterooms. It's all the way at the bottom of the page and easily missed unless you're looking for it.

It should be EVIDENT what you're getting when you book. Nobody should have to find out after they've already booked that the pictures and descriptions are "representative only". I'm one of the people who missed that when booking.

NCL should just fix their web site already. Unless there's a reason they keep it like that...

That would mean 1000+ images per ship, since "design" and "as built" are often two different things, during construction. By putting representations, they avoid getting sued by someone who says "you claimed the stateroom was 12' x 12' (144 sq ft), but I measured it at 12.1' x 11.9' (143.99 sq ft). TECHNICALLY, it was not delivered as promised...so lawyers make them be vague.

However...yes, the NCL webmaster should be replaced.... there are loading issues, performance issues, pop-ups which should be flagged based on cookies, and then missing / conflicting bits of information.

By putting representations, they avoid getting sued by someone.

Not true. According to the FTC - "Advertisers cannot use fine print to contradict other statements in an ad or to clear up misimpressions the ad would otherwise leave." "Similarly, accurate information in a footnote or dense block of text will likely not remedy a deceptive representation conveyed by a headline or other prominent selling message because reasonable consumers may not read the footnote."

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/disclosures/cases/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone - the "After May 2011" site for POA now shows an accurate "photo" for suite 9000! The layout is not accurate. If you look at the photo, you will see the edge of the bed showing in the sitting area. There is no separation! So, NCLA is doing a partial modification.

I personally think it is not enough accuracy, but I am not in the cruise business.

Congratulations Unhappy Grandad,

At least your efforts have resulted in a change that will benefit future NCL passengers with a more accurate room description.

Take a look at the threads listed below. NCL has a similar problem providing accurate descriptions on the new Epic. Imagine thinking you have book a Villa with two bedrooms and a separate living room and you get a there to find out you have one large room, no bathtub and a curtain to separate the bathroom.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242983

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1245110

This is what the Dawn AC really looks like. It is a misrepresentation on their web site by posting pictures/floorplans of the AB for the AC and AE cabins. It's an easy fix and I'm not sure why they aren't fixing it. I found out about the room configuration AFTER we booked and we were already within final payment.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2411249360081189881VFwTXJ

Oh, but they do put at the bottom (in fine print) "Stateroom images, square footage, and configurations are representative only. Actual accommodations may vary." They should just fix the web site and get it over with.

On the NCL site for the Jewel's staterooms, the picture there for the AC is correct. Why doesn't the webmaster just move that one over to the Dawn's site? It would be pretty easy to do.

This message was sent to NCL and they have not responded. The description for the Deluxe Family Suite on Pride of America has been changed on their web site. Please make sure you know exactly what you are getting....

-----------------------------

July 26, 2010

Customer Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line

REFERENCE – Pride of America

Booking xxx

Ref Number xxx

Dates – July 10 through 17, 2010

Sirs;

I have recently returned from a week on the Pride of America. We returned home on July 25, after spending an additional week in the Islands. I must express my severe displeasure with your irresponsible and blatantly false representation of the 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite (Unit 9000 – AC). My family will never know of the destruction you have done to almost two years of my planning.

Planning began on this cruise in late 2008. NCL representatives recommended the 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite would be the best way to travel to the Hawaiian Islands and celebrate them with my family of 4 adults and 1 child (14 years old). Our cruise was booked in October 2008. I was led to believe there would be two bedrooms and a separate area with sofa bed to easily accommodate five people. My wife was the only other family member who knew of our accommodations on the ship.

Initial boarding was a pleasure. Our luggage was marked with the RED PRIORITY stickers. We literally flew through the registration process. I could see the questions in my family’s eyes at what was happening. I was “in heaven.” We were on board by 12:45 PM and our suite was available at 4:00 PM.

Imagine my total shock when I realized that the only separation between the first bedroom and the sitting area was a curtain. Then I discovered there was NO sofa bed. The final indignation was that the second bedroom was an inner cabin with NO window/porthole. My grandson was to sleep on a pull down bed that left about 18 inches of headroom above his parents’ bed. See attached photo.

The only viable alternative was to have housekeeping bring in a roll away bed every evening, and not use the pull down. The roll away would be placed in the open sitting area. Since there would be very limited or no privacy, my daughter and her husband would sleep in the main bedroom with him, while my wife and I would use the second bedroom. Note: The bed delivered to us was so worn that my grandson attempted to sleep at either end, away from the middle. He was AFRAID to say anything.

The historical rule of “first on the ship/last luggage delivery” was in effect. Our “RED PRIORITY TAGS” meant nothing. Our “priority” luggage finally arrived at 7:00PM and was placed outside the suite, in the hallway. There was no offer of assistance to either bring them in or help with unpacking. This was another advertised courtesy to suite passengers that never really existed.

In summary, due totally to your use of false advertising and incorrect information concerning the true accommodations on Pride of America, my major goal of having the family travel in comfort and luxury was destroyed for me. I spent approximately $2400.00 per day for seven days to sleep in an inner cabin with no windows and use a bathroom that was so small I could not get a suitable photo. When I shaved, the water actually wet the toilet seat! My nights were so upsetting that I never turned on the 30-year-old, 9-inch screen television in this room from hell. See attached photo.

Hopefully, I may warn other travelers, in advance, before they accept NCL accommodations or information. The severe inaccuracies in your literature and false statements by your NCL representatives are a disgrace to the cruise industry.

Respectfully,

-----------------------------

Just wanted to say thank you so very much for posting your information and listing the room number. Have been researching for this cruise and was so glad you were able to post this! So sorry for your disappointment and hoping future vacations meet all your expectations. You have done a service to the cruise community as a whole by bringing this to our attention. Thank you again.

Fleet

• 5 weeks later...

I had time to check today - NCL has done a significant change on their web site for Pride of America WRT cabin 9000.

It is now the Deluxe Family Suite - no mention of "Penthouse".

The FLOOR PLAN showing the suite layout is accurate. The "photo" is not.

PS: Now everyone can see the inside room where I was sooooo happpppyyyy.

Sadly, I will say that I have not received any letter from NCL. I did not want or expect a financial credit, but I did expect a courtesy response.

This is acceptable for the hundreds of balconey, oceanview and inside cabins, but how hard can it be to accurately portray the suites?

I think they purposely mislead sometimes.

An AC cabin on Pride cost $2,400/day? That's $16,800/week. That seems like an aweful lot. Maybe I mis-read that part.

We went to Maui for two weeks last year, flew first class, stayed at high end resorts and didn't spend that much.

I just checked for July 23rd as that happens to be the date we're sailing and the price is $15,100.....therefore it is possible that that cabin for 5 ppl is $16,800.

I sent a letter to NCL with both positives and negatives and have always gotten a response. You have to send it to corporate through snail mail. NCL may not write back in 10 days but they will respond.

I guess you might be correct in the the statement ".. they will respond." I finally got a response, but they really did not say anything. See attached link and check out posting http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242983 #249 for the details.

Here is the letter I recieved:

Thank you for your e-mail to Public Relations, which has been forwarded to Customer Relations for response.

We sincerely regret to learn of the circumstances that resulted in the cancellation of your intended voyage aboard the Norwegian Epic. Our records show that our Executive Desk made every effort to assist you. A refund of $16,533.62 was requested on your behalf and processed to the form of payment used for the reservation. We are sorry to learn that this matter remains a point of concern for you and hope that over the course of time, you will consider Norwegian Crusie Line for your next vacation at sea.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back aboard in the near future.

Sincerly,

XXXXXXX

Coordinator

Customer Relations

I am sorry the OP let this ruin their cruise. But I may be in the minority here but I dont see any false or misleading advertisements.

$2400 for a suite on a cruise is entry level for a cruise. There would be much bigger suites with enclosed 2 bedrooms. The OP could have always upgraded. Small cabins do have privacy curtains. There are 2 beds in different areas and ships call this 2 bedroom. In addition, not having windows in the 2nd bedroom is almost standard unless you upgrade to Owners suite. Even the second bedroom on the Epic Villa has no windows.

The complaining about the luggage is silly. The luggage came but to be upset because you were not first getting YOUR luggage is a little silly.

I know some may jump on me for saying this but this is champagne taste on a beer budget. What is misleading about this basic entry level suite? I just see the OP wanted an owners suite buy paid 1/4 of it and was angry the luggage was not delivered first.

You cant let simple things like this ruin your cruise. It seems a bit over dramatic to gripe about how fast your luggage was delivered and there were no windows in a second bedroom. Were second windows promised on the NCL site? Probably not or it would have been shown as evidence. I was still waiting to hear how the cruise was ruined because luggage was not delivered first and the entry level 2 bedroom did not have enough windows. NCL must get a kick out of reading these kinds of letters. Rule number one, if you are going to accuse someone of false or misleading advertising, show what was promised and what was delivered. The author of this letter did neither. 7 night cruise with 2 bedrooms for $2400. That is dirt cheap for a suite on that kind of cruise. It is entry level 2 bedroom. If windows in all areas are that important to you, pick and pay for the owners suite. Since when does NCL promise to unpack your luggage? Children afraid of the beds? This letter is hysterical!!

I am so sorry that my ability to properly construct and explain the issues that impacted our cruise was not able to be accurately interpreted by Mr. Sobe.

Please understand that the figure of $2400 was the daily average cost I compiled by taking five adults to the islands for 14 days. Our cabin basic cost for 7 days, before tips and fees, was around $ 13,500 U.S.

Please understand that Suite 9000 was not considered entry level, but was one of the only two suites on POA which were advertised as being suited for 5 people.

Please understand that, before I raised my issue to the cruise line, many of their photos and room descriptions on their web site were not accurate. In my case, I was not aware that the main room was only separated from the bedroom by a curtain (instead of glass doors) or that the second bedroom was an inside cabin. NCL has made many modifications and corrections to the ship descriptions on their web site.

Please understand that the cruise line advertised that priority luggage would be delivered as rapidly as possible and that the butler would assist in unpacking.

Please understand that the roll away bed was in extremely poor condition. My grandson did not complain, mainly because of MY irritation with NCL, and his desire to not add fuel to the fire. A great kid!

These items I have addressed were all presented to me in writing or published on the NCL web site. Many posters here have confirmed the accuracy of my issues.

Might I be the first to say, Mr. Sobe, you "..may be in the minority here..." I would strongly suggest you reread my post. If you have any questions about our two weeks, please ask.

I guess you might be correct in the the statement ".. they will respond." I finally got a response, but they really did not say anything. See attached link and check out posting http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242983 #249 for the details.

Here is the letter I recieved:

Thank you for your e-mail to Public Relations, which has been forwarded to Customer Relations for response.

We sincerely regret to learn of the circumstances that resulted in the cancellation of your intended voyage aboard the Norwegian Epic. Our records show that our Executive Desk made every effort to assist you. A refund of $16,533.62 was requested on your behalf and processed to the form of payment used for the reservation. We are sorry to learn that this matter remains a point of concern for you and hope that over the course of time, you will consider Norwegian Crusie Line for your next vacation at sea.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back aboard in the near future.

Sincerly,

XXXXXXX

Coordinator

Customer Relations

NCL's response is exactly as I would have expected for two reasons...

1. Gig cancelled the cruise, NCL refunded his money. Thus, it is a done deal.

2. Gig has come on here and makes this overly public and continues to address and readdress this issue. NCL walks away knowing there is nothing they can do to make Gig happy.

NCL's response is exactly as I would have expected for two reasons...

1. Gig cancelled the cruise, NCL refunded his money. Thus, it is a done deal.

2. Gig has come on here and makes this overly public and continues to address and readdress this issue. NCL walks away knowing there is nothing they can do to make Gig happy.

Hello Why Knot me,

Thank you for taking the time to read the other thread. I hope you did not miss the posting that clearly explains why I have been posting on Cruise Critic and that I did not start the thread.

I am so gald that these postings saved at least two other families from booking this room based on inaccurate information. Specifically, 1 room vs. 2-room suite and various other missing elements advertised to be included in a Villa Suite.

I am also pleased that NCL has changed the room catagory to better reflect what you will get when booking the suite.

I am sure you read these things on the other thread, but just in case someone is just reading your post, I want to be sure had all the same information you have.

It still is possible that NCL could earn back my business... Please don't assume otherwise.

Happy Sailing!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242983

Archived